• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

What happened this season?

Mainejet

Practice Squad
Hello Gentlemen (and Ladies) Mainejet here.....

Just sort of curious what happened to the Ravens this season? You know I just get so caught screaming at the TV about the Jets and why they still suck that I don't get the chance to see enough Ravens news. Was it injuries? I know you guys were forced to sign Josh Johnson recently? What was the biggest thing that held the Ravens back this season? It sounds like you guys got a real diamond in the rough with Mekari?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Hello Gentlemen (and Ladies) Mainejet here.....

Just sort of curious what happened to the Ravens this season? You know I just get so caught screaming at the TV about the Jets and why they still suck that I don't get the chance to see enough Ravens news. Was it injuries? I know you guys were forced to sign Josh Johnson recently? What was the biggest thing that held the Ravens back this season? It sounds like you guys got a real diamond in the rough with Mekari?

injuries
injuries
and more injuries
and some covid

and injuries that took down entire position groups

so at times this year we've been playing with our 10th and 11th best CBs on the field
we've had to play our 3rd string QB (and lots of our 2nd string QB)
we've not had any RBs all year
lots of injury issues on the DL and recently at EDGE too

we've been playing a lot of the last half of the season with backups and backups backups

against the bengals we had something like 36 players unavailable either due to injury or covid

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
In the Lamar Era, this is the first time we've beaten the Chiefs. What did it cost us? Basically everything.

We're being punished since motherfuckers thought the Madden Curse didn't exist so it got extended (none of you will convince me otherwise) to this season as well.

This is the first time in quite some time where I feel comfortable about our pass-catcher group as a whole. What did it cost us? Basically everything.

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
In the Lamar Era, this is the first time we've beaten the Chiefs. What did it cost us? Basically everything.

We're being punished since motherfuckers thought the Madden Curse didn't exist so it got extended (none of you will convince me otherwise) to this season as well.

This is the first time in quite some time where I feel comfortable about our pass-catcher group as a whole. What did it cost us? Basically everything.
And per usual they still can’t hold a candle to Burrow’s weapons

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Probably unpopular opinion but I don’t think Mekari is that great
you're entitled to your opinion but having Mekari's versatility, a solid player who can play all 5 positions on the OL. They aren't giving him starter money, but they know they will be ok if he is the starter. I absolutely believe they will be looking to improve the position.

Besides the would have given him a 2nd year tender that would have paid him 4m anyway. This gives us flexibility on a team friendly deal

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
injuries
injuries
and more injuries
and some covid

and injuries that took down entire position groups

so at times this year we've been playing with our 10th and 11th best CBs on the field
we've had to play our 3rd string QB (and lots of our 2nd string QB)
we've not had any RBs all year
lots of injury issues on the DL and recently at EDGE too

we've been playing a lot of the last half of the season with backups and backups backups

against the bengals we had something like 36 players unavailable either due to injury or covid
Not having our running back group completely stymied our run game. If Dobbins and Edwards were there ,defenses could not key on Lamar's running game. They knew they could easily stop Freeman and Murray, who are pretty slow overall.