• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Article Big Board #1

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Purple Flock Pre-Combine Big Board

I have seen Matt Miller call this the worst draft class since 2013. I cannot concur with his opinion for a few simple reasons. I will break down my big board and have certain justifications for why I have certain players ranked as highly as others. I feel like I have seen enough of the top end talent in this draft to make this. So for certain positions, I will limit my rankings to 5 prospects, and the more abundant positions 10. Will only go up with the more prospects that I watch.

So here we go

QBs- This QB class is very good. Not necessarily elite, but it’s top prospect is the most pro-ready QB the draft has had since Andrew Luck, along. There’s a massive high risk-high reward project here too. Two or three safer options as well. Very good QB class.

1. Josh Rosen, UCLA. Rosen is a no brainer for the #1 spot. Rosen is the most pro ready QB in the draft, and one of the better QB prospects to come out this decade. His combination of a well above average arm, accuracy in short yardage, sneaky athletic ability, and his ability to navigate a pocket make him as the ideal of a QB prospect as you look at. Factor in the fact that he can throw his receivers open and can already read the defense and he’s simply the best QB prospect in the draft. He has a very high ceiling.

2. Baker Mayfield, Oklahoma. The Heisman winner has been getting a lot of hype. Certain things about him concern me, but he is not Johnny Manzeil 2.0 like so many suggest. His size does worry me, and his arm regarding strength is only average, but he can make all the necessary throws for an NFL QB. He’s the best QB in the draft at navigating a pocket and plays the game like a Russel Wilson. Always scanning downfield when he does take off and scramble. Anyone who compares Mayfield to Johnny doesn’t know what they’re looking at. He’s far more pro ready than Johnny could have ever hoped to be.

3. Sam Darnold, USC. The man who is probably going #1 overall is not the best QB in the draft but is a very safe prospect as far as QBs go. That throwing motion is ugly, but it he can hit a receiver in stride with it as accurately as anyone, and it’s not as slow as others. He’s in a modern NFL TE’s body and is the toughest QB in the draft. He’s very good at navigating the pocket and isn’t half bad at reading an NFL defense. He needs some work, but his concerns are as overblown as I have seen.

4. Lamar Jackson, Lousiville. As real as his concerns are, he’s the most athletic QB in the draft. He has freakish athleticism with a cannon for an arm. While he’s not great at throwing on the run, in the pocket he’s not as bad as some say he is. His accuracy needs a lot of work though which does make me question it. But give him a pocket and tell him to throw darts, I could see him working. Certain aspects of his game remind me of Vick. Both positive and negative.

5. Josh Allen, Wyoming. The most overrated prospect in recent memory. His arm is the best regarding strength that I have seen in years. Athletic ability is comparable to Carson Wentz. What he needs work on is literally… Everything else. Lacks the pocket presence of the other four ahead of him, lacking in his ability to read a defense. I wouldn’t touch him at all until the fourth round. He will go in the first, and he has to land in the right situation to succeed. If a team expects him to contribute immediately, then he will be the worst bust the league has seen since Johnny football.
Best arm: Josh Rosen

Strongest arm: Josh Allen

Best pocket presence: Baker Mayfield

Best runner: Lamar Jackson

Most pro-ready: Josh Rosen

Most potential: Josh Allen

RBs. The RB class has a lot of depth and top end talent, including one elite prospect who rounds out the big four of RB prospects. Gurley was violent and plays like Marshawn Lynch. Elliot had the electric ability of a Jamal Charles who could also take a beating. Leonard Fournette was a human sledgehammer with elite long speed and may very well be this generation’s AD or Eric Dickerson regarding mold. This class has someone who may be better than each of them.

1. Saquon Barkley, Penn State. Need I go on about his greatness? He’s the best player in the draft bar none. He does a lot of things Ladanian Tomlinson did at an elite level in the pros. He has the running style of 2009 Ray Rice and is just electric. Has a combination of long speed and explosiveness that the majority of the backs in the league would just kill to have. His one knock is that his pass protection is merely adequate. But if that’s what his biggest weakness is, it should not knock him.

2. Derrius Guice, LSU. Not an elite prospect, but the next best thing. Has power that some teams are lacking. Future franchise RB no questions asked.

3. Ronald Jones, USC. Overrated? Not really. Vision may be questionable but make no mistakes he makes up for this in other ways. People compare him to Jamal Charles, but that’s not who he is. He’s another Melvin Gordon in my eyes with a little more punch and more polished receiving ability out of school. The Texas Tesla may have overrated speed, but he’s got the makings of quality back if drafted by the right team. Not a fit in Baltimore in the slightest, but a team running zone would love to have a guy like this. He’s going to be a weapon.

4. Kerryon Johnson, Auburn. The Bell comparisons are a bit much. He’s Demarco Murray. All around very good at everything, good vision, and patience, but not particularly spectacular in one thing. But if you are good at everything, that makes you a reliable three down back. He’s a jack of all trades, master of none in the best way possible.

5. Nick Chubb, Georiga. Michel is a good prospect but has become overrated post the bowl game. Chubb is everything you want in a power scheme. Good footwork, patience, burst, ball security, vision, moves in the open field. Lower center of gravity running back. He plays the game as MJD did as a pure runner. Not the fastest or most powerful guy, but any team who drafts him is getting a very good player.

6. Akrum Wadley, Iowa. The most underrated player in the class. Wadley is a weapon and one of the most electric runners I have scouted in awhile. His concerns about pass protection are overblown. The man is electric and when it comes to his abilities as a runner in the open field is wide receiver esq. He could stand to put some weight on him, but if he does improve his pass protection, he’s going to be a future starter. A worst case scenario is he is going to become one of the most feared third down backs in the league.

7. Sony Michel, Georgia. I like Michel, so why lower than Chubb or Wadley? I don’t see a pure feature back here. I see a guy who could become an elite third down the weapon and damn good starter in a committee. He’s good, very good, but he’s more jack of all trades in a mediocre way. He’s going to be a good, powerful option for teams who can be a good receiving back. Some team is going to be very happy when they take.

8. Rashaad Penny, SDSU. Gary Kubiak would fall in love with a prospect like Penny. Has that sneaky long speed and is more of a glider, but is quick in the open field and is a good receiver. The problem is unless he’s in a Kubiak esq zone scheme I could see him as more of a fit as only a third down back. Best case scenario: Steve Slaton style 1000 yard rusher. Worst case scenario: Corey Clement. Either way, he has a future.

9. Royce Freeman, Oregon. Getting undersold big time. Freeman franchise back potential. Needs some coaching on certain things, and he can play a bit smaller than he should be. But Freeman, if he lands up in the right scheme, could end up having a Jordan Howard style(as in no one sees it coming. I don’t mean regarding production) impact as a rookie if the right team needs him.

10. Josh Adams, Notre dame. The sledge hammer of the draft. He can dish out a beating with the best of them and is a capable receiver out of the backfield. He’s got decent speed across the board and can make teams pay with patience. He’s a sleeper, but it’s more likely he could be the thunder in the thunder-lightning tandem. This has a good amount of value at the NFL level.
Best quickness: Barkley

Best long speed: Barkley

Best hands: Barkley
Best pass protector: Michel

Best in the open field: Barkley

Best vision: Barkley

WRs- One top end prospect. Lots of good depth though with players that I could easily see becoming a quality option.

1. Calvin Ridley, Alabama. Not an elite prospect, but still looks to be a #1 WR at the next level. Good speed, great route runner, and nice soft hands. Not much of a jump ball guy, but still is something any team could use. Not many prospects at the WR position are as polished as Ridley is coming out of school. I have a mid to late first round grade on him, and if he falls to us, I don’t see how we pass the guy up.

2. Anthony Miller, Memphis. Yup. Anthony Miller is a playmaker with a fire comparable to Steve Smith Sr. Some view him as a slot only guy because of his size. I don’t see it. Steve Smith was an outside WR and a future hall of famer to boot. I love Miller and think his concerns on the field are overblown. That said, I do have worries about his injuries, but no matter.

3. Christian Kirk, Texas A&M. A tad overrated, but only a hair or two. Christian Kirk is electric in the open field with good hands and is a good route runner. Not as explosive as some make him out to be, but he does not lack in that department. He’s a slot only guy, but I feel like that if this is your main concern, you need to reevaluate your priorities.

4. DJ Moore, Maryland. Moore is not perfect and kind of a project but is as good after the catch as anyone in this draft. Moore needs some work but is adept to just about everything. Solid in contested situations, good hands, good route runner, and very good in the open field/after the catch.

5. James Washington, Oklahoma State. Washington is a deep threat who has the potential to become more. He’s a big play guy who can take the top off of any defense you put in front of him with a good ability to adjust to the QBs mistakes. Some think he can never become more than just a #2, but if he lands in the right system, he could become more. Otherwise, you’re drafting what you’re getting. A damn good deep threat who teams have to give attention too.

6. Deon Cain, Clemson. All around polished. I can put most of his concerns on terrible QB play. Some see him as only a deep threat; I have to disagree. Any team that drafts him is going to be pleasantly surprised.

7. Simmie Cobbs, Indiana. Looks every bit the part of a good possession WR at the NFL level. A very underrated prospect who should go in the middle of round two in my book.

8. Courtland Sutton, SMU. Most overrated WR in the draft. Better than given credit for than some on this forum with regards to his ability to get contested grabs. He has too many nuances about his game that concern me though. He’s not a potential #1 WR in my eyes, but as a compliment, he could be very nice.

9. Korey Robertson, Southern Miss. Yup. Hardly any tape on the guy but he does things with his game that is very good. Good in contested situations, good burst, good route runner, good body control. I can see why some are high on the guy. Some team is going to get a good player here.

10. Dante Pettis, Washington. Not a #1 guy in my books. At least not yet. Hands are inconsistent and very concerning. But he’s got the polish to his game, and he’s pretty explosive for the most part, downright electric at times. He could be either Jacoby Jones, or if he becomes more consistent with his hands could end up being a player in the mold of a healthy John Brown. Either way, like what I see.
Best hands: Calvin Ridley

Best after the catch: DJ Moore

Best route runner: Calvin Ridley

Most pro ready: Calving Ridley

Best potential: Anthony Miller

TEs. “This Tight End Class is not good.” No, we were just spoiled last season. Anyone who says this does not know what they are not talking about. Five players in this class who I think could be not only starters but well above average starters at the position is a very good TE class. Here we go.

1. Dallas Goedert, South Dakota State. Goedert is an elite prospect. There, I said it. His athletic ability isn’t well above average; it’s elite for a tight end. That combination of size, strength, and well above average speed for a man that size, as well as very underrated burst, makes him the best prospect by default. Let’s add in his ridiculously good hands and the fact that he is easily the best jumpball WR. If there isn’t any good talent at 16, we should trade back to 20 and still take Goedert. Oh, he’s an adequate blocker too. He’s a create a player on Madden and might be a dominant TE on the NFL level if he ever maxes his potential.

2. Mark Andrews, Oklahoma. Andrews has something you cannot coach; he can find holes in the zone as well as most TEs in recent years. Holds above average athleticism for the TE position at the NFL level and is a very good route runner. He’s the classic matchup problem that the defense gets headaches over. If you put an LB on him, Andrews is too quick and smart for him with his ability to find holes in the zone. If you put a Safety on him, Andrews is too big, and the QB can just put him in a favorable situation because he’s just way bigger. Also a capable blocker, in fact downright underrated. Goedert is better and has more potential, but Andrews looks to be a weapon at the NFL level.

3. Mike Gesicki, Penn State. If Gesicki could block, he’d be the #2 TE in the class. But his technique isn’t awful, it’s pathetic. He has plenty of strength and can easily get more, but he needs serious coaching. Gesicki is a move TE at the NFL level. Has the best hands overall in the class regardless of position and is the second best jumpball tight end here. Gesicki is a Dennis Pitta clone. Very good prospect, but a move TE only who will struggle in line. If there is any TE who is a big slot WR, it’s him. Make no mistake about it.

4. Hayden Hurst- Regarding pure ability, if he weren’t 24, he’d be #1. That age knocks him down a fair bit. He’s polished and is a jack of all trades master of none TE in the best way possible due to his great, but not elite, athletic ability. Good route runner? Check. Reliable hands? Check. Good in jump ball situations? Check. Good blocker? Check. Good in the open field. Check. Regarding overall ability, he’s my #1. But that age knocks him down a bit for me.

5. Ian Thomas- Here is the fastest TE in the class. Tape doesn’t do him any form of justice. Any team who drafts him is going to have themselves a guy who can stretch the field and has reliable hands.

Best hands: Gesicki

Best route runner: Andrews

Best in contested situations: Goedert

Best athlete: Goedert

Best speed: Thomas

Best in the open field: Hurst

Safest pick: Andrews

Best potential: Goedert

OT- Not great, but not awful either.

1. Mike McGlinchey, Notre Dame. What is it with the Notre Dame oline players being very stable? That’s what he is.. Safe. He needs to get stronger, but his technical ability is so off the charts that it’s not funny. He’s a day one starter at either left or right tackle and could be a franchise guy on either side of the line. He’s not an elite prospect, but he’s a high floor, good ceiling guy.

2. Orlando Brown Jr, Oklahoma. Some hate the idea of an RT in the first round. Given that a lot of good edge players at the NFL level now put their guy on that side of the field, this notion is outdated. Brown may be best suited to be an RT, but I like what I see from him. Overwhelming power. Not a fit in every scheme, but has the potential to be flat out dominant on the right side of the line in a power scheme. If Brown is our pick, I will not complain. He’s nasty, and he’s more likely to be a franchise RT and an identity setter on an oline. Want a guy DLinmen are going to be afraid of playing against? Brown is your man.

3. Connor Williams, Texas. The tape may be inconsistent, but as far as tackle prospects go, I cannot knock him too hard. His technique isn’t as terrible as some make it out to be and he’s a good athlete for the position with the most potential between the five listed guys.

4. Jamarco jones, Ohio State. I see him as another safer prospect, but he’s got holes that make him a high floor guy more than anything.

5. Kolton Miller, UCLA. Josh Rosen had terrible protection at UCLA. That was not Miller’s fault. Miller is a solid, but unspectacular tackle prospect. As far as pass protection goes, he never appeared to be the issue. He needs to get better in this facet of the game, but he is another high floor low ceiling guys. Very good run blocker too.
Best footwork: McGlinchey

Best technique: McGlinchey

Best power: Brown

Best pass protector: McGlinchey

Best run blocker: McGlinchey

Most pro ready: McGlinchey

Best athlete: Williams

Best potential: Williams

OG- This is where the class shines. I don’t need to do a writeup on these guys. I could see just same something generic for all of them. Good power/footwork/nasty streak. They’re all similar making a full on writeup a waste of time. Just know that Nelson is a generational talent at the guard position.

1. Quenton Nelson, Notre Dame

2. Isaiah Wynn, Georgia

3. Willie Hernandez, UTEP

4. Braden Smith, Auburn

5. Sean Welsh, Iowa
C-see above

1. Billy Price, OSU

2. James Daniel, Iowa

3. Frank Ragnow, Arkansas

4. Mason Cole, Michigan

5. Will Clapp, LSU

DE/Edge- This is where the class is lacking. This edge rushing class just doesn’t suck; it’s downright pathetic. Everyone outside of Chubb is lacking in something. Landry is the only other draftable day one starter in my book.

1. Bradley Chubb, NC State

2. Harold Landry, Boston College. I am a fan of Landry though. He’s a good edge rushing prospect, but he needs to get stronger and learn how to use more power. Nothing special, but should be a solid player at the NFL level. Only player here worth doing a writeup for as Chubb is a stud and these other guys aren’t.

3. Marcus Davenport, UTSA.

4. Arden Key, LSU

5. Sam Hubbard, OSU
DT- The class is not lacking at the top end in good defensive linemen though. Lots of very good talent. Good year to need an interior pass rusher.

1. Da’Ron Payne, Alabama- As good of a dline prospect as I could ask to look at. Good pass rusher, good run defender. The good athletic ability for the position as well. It was hard to pick a guy to put first because the top 3 guys in my book are all pretty impressive. Payne was the logical choice as he was the anchor of one of the most impressive units in the country.

2. Vita Vea, Washington- Remember Danny Shelton? This guy is more athletic and better. That’s a hard feat to pull off. Well, not really as a player, but as an athlete, it’s hard to find a dlinemen in recent memory with this level of freakishness. He’s NFL ready from the nose and could be a big difference maker at the NFL level. Monsterous run stuffer.

3. Maurice Hurst, Michigan- Want a pass rusher? Hard to find one on the interior in this draft that is better than him in this department. A little undersized, but his burst of a DT is rare. He can bring the heat and do it well.

4. Harrison Phillips, Stanford. Stanford always has an impressive defense at the College level. Players like Phillips are a big reason why. Smart, disruptive, high football IQ. Pocket pusher, but is more effective at it than someone like a Brandon Williams.

5. Tim Settle, VT. He’s underrated. Good NT who can get into the backfield and just disrupt. He messes up a game plan because of this. A nice little under the radar guy.
LBs- Another place where the class shines. The top three ILBs could be very well day one starters. But I do find that one of these three is the most overrated defensive player in the draft.

1. Tremaine Edmunds, VT. STUD. No other way to put it. He’s not a freak athlete; he’s a freak of nature. He’s a basketball small forward playing LB. He hits like a freight train and has great instincts in coverage, and is a sound tackler. He’s not going to be the QB of a defense, but if you put him at WILL and use him as a coverage LB attack dog and you have yourself a stud on the defensive side of the ball. Has elite potential and could potentially be the DROY.

2. Rashaan Evans, Alabama. Not your typical Alabama ILB. Far more adept in coverage, has some skill rushing off of the edge. Could play any ILB position along the line. Not an elite prospect, but like the other Bama LBs was very safe. His unconventional skill set makes him a potentially valuable commodity. Fits 3-4 and a 4-3.

3. Roquan Smith, Georgia. OVERRATED. But still a pretty good prospect. Instincts and abilities in coverage are off of the charts. The readiest and truest ILB on the board. Struggles to get off of blocks and will need to get significantly bigger for the NFL level. Could see him struggle if relied on to be THE guy from day one. Long-term upside intriguing, and a first round talent. But a back end of the first round. Patrick Willis comparisons are ludicrous. Compares more favorably to Daryl Smith in my eyes. High football IQ and can do it all in coverage. Could be porous against the run despite being a sound tackler.

4. Leighton Vander Esch, Boise State- Underrated player. Used unconventionally but a stud athletically with far more skill than Correa ever had coming out of school. Lack of experience is concerning, but his athletic ability is off the charts. He needs some coaching up, but his issues are easily coachable.

5. Malik Jefferson, Texas- Weakside Linebacker who thrives in coverage. Cannot be a QB of defense. Will never be elite, but could find a role in a 4-3 as the WLB. I do worry though since he is not good at shedding blocks.
CBs- Underrated part of the class. I admittingly have not watched much on the DBs, so not much of a writeup from me here.

1. Joshua Jackson, Iowa

2. Denzel Ward, Ohio State

3. Isaiah Oliver, Colorado

4. Carlton Davis, Auburn

5. Donte Jackson, LSU
S

1. Minkah Fitzpatrick, Alabama

2. Derwin James, FSU

3. Ronnie Harrison, Alabama

4. Justin Reid, Stanford

5. Marcus Allen, Penn State

Last edited:

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
I have my own opinions on Josh Allen but im sure you dont want to hear them lol.

Akrum Wadleys pass blocking issues are not overblown in the slightest, Mosley would absolutely destroy him.

TEs are good other than Andrews. Slow and the worst blocker of the bunch (Gesicki at least tries). Sure hes good at finding soft spots in zone coverage.....IN THE BIG12!!!! Hurst to me is the safest TE prospect

As for WR....im really starting to think James Washington is more of a threat than an actual weapon. Hes a senior and his stiffness gives him limited room to grow, he has a pretty low floor and limited ceiling, but would fit well with flacco. Dante Pettis is vastly underrated on this big board, his drops arent an issue idk where you got that from, I actually thinm hes one of the more natural catchers in this class

Otheewise this is a pretty solid big board, we all have disagreements though

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
I have very little disagreement here. At least none that deserve a full write up. Matt Miller did say the class was better than he thought. The DB class's depth is insane.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
My dude you are tripping putting Kirk at 3 and no Michael Gallup top 10. Aside from that though I have no problems with this board. I may be crazy enough to say I like Lamar Jackson a bit more than darnold because I think darnold is gonna be a turnover machine, but I'm not gonna bank on Lamar Jackson for anything, just a feeling I have when watching the 2.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
My dude you are tripping putting Kirk at 3 and no Michael Gallup top 10. Aside from that though I have no problems with this board. I may be crazy enough to say I like Lamar Jackson a bit more than darnold because I think darnold is gonna be a turnover machine, but I'm not gonna bank on Lamar Jackson for anything, just a feeling I have when watching the 2.

I agree darnolds a risk but Lamar Jackson worries me just when he throws outside the numbers - that really worries me - I’m not sure if I’d even touch him with a 2nd round pick tbh

He’s accurate to a point but his biggest threat is his legs and I don’t think it’s enough because he doesn’t keep his eyes up and down the field when he scrambles

rossihunter2

Staff Member
So I don’t actually disagree with Matt miller that the overall class really doesn’t look great - day 2 is stacked but the amount of upper eschelon talent (outside of a couple of positions) and the depth in day 3 leaves a lot to be desired - I imagine this is gonna be the year I have the least deaftable players on my board despite the fact that it might have the most qbs and rbs since I’ve started evaluating...

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Also my opinion of a couple of players is really improving

Will Hernandez - he’s an absolute bully at the line and certainly would be someone I’d be happy to pick up a little later in the 1st (there’s at least 4 interior olinemen id take in the 1st round which is crazy...)
Equanimeous St Brown - I’m getting the feeling I got early on about juju with this guy - need to watch more film but he looks like a guy im gonna really like and end up a lot higher than others on

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
This draft class looks exactly like 2016 if you were to compare. Not a lot of top end talent but crazy depth.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
To be fair. Gallup relies heavily on his technique to get open, he could just be a Kamar Aiken....thats my floor comp for him
He could just as likely be a Michael Thomas who I have as my prime comparison. Gallup has ideal size, good enough athleticism, and plays strong and physical and in control, he stays on his route and doesn't get redirected easily at all, good awareness of his surroundings and seems to know when guys are coming and where they are coming from so he can adjust his catch accordingly, that's the big thing for me, it's an unteachable trait and he has it, not that he's a contested catch guy, but just that he can position himself subtly to make the db play him instead of the ball, it's something I saw with Jordan Matthews big time, not a contested catch guy but a savvy catcher who uses body positioning naturally(and Gallup appears to have much safer hands), with Michael Thomas style route running, just runs his route sharp and savvy and does it with authority and then catches with confidence. While I understand the Aiken comp, that seems like a size/athleticism thing, and there are other guys of a similar pedigree who could just as easily draw a comparison due to savvier and more creative route running i.e. Thomas or Matthews

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
He could just as likely be a Michael Thomas who I have as my prime comparison. Gallup has ideal size, good enough athleticism, and plays strong and physical and in control, he stays on his route and doesn't get redirected easily at all, good awareness of his surroundings and seems to know when guys are coming and where they are coming from so he can adjust his catch accordingly, that's the big thing for me, it's an unteachable trait and he has it, not that he's a contested catch guy, but just that he can position himself subtly to make the db play him instead of the ball, it's something I saw with Jordan Matthews big time, not a contested catch guy but a savvy catcher who uses body positioning naturally(and Gallup appears to have much safer hands), with Michael Thomas style route running, just runs his route sharp and savvy and does it with authority and then catches with confidence. While I understand the Aiken comp, that seems like a size/athleticism thing, and there are other guys of a similar pedigree who could just as easily draw a comparison due to savvier and more creative route running i.e. Thomas or Matthews
Problem is i dont think Gallup is as big as those 2. Hes probably aroind the same size as Daesean Hamilton (6'1 200) while the 2 you compared him to are closer to 6'3. Im also not sure about his level of competition, sure hes not redirected often but how often is he truly challenged. Im sure guys like Humphrey, Smith, Tre Johnson, and Bouye would have their way with him. Since you mentioned Thomas as a comp, i actually think Chark is a better comparison. I see Gallups best case comp closer to Maclin (at his best of course).