• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Welcome to Baltimore: Charlie Kolar

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Massive
Athletic

has some nuance to his route-running although lots to develop

needs to work more on his blocking

exciting that the Ravens targeted a traits-based athlete at TE who's more of a slot receiver right now than an in-line TE (right now)

some depth behind Mark Andrews

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Watched a bunch of Kolars highlights. One thing is for certain. The guy was always extremely open. Sometimes by 1.5 yard which makes the catch easy. Sometimes by legitimately 10 yards.

Not sure if this is an example of a tremendous athlete bullying lower competition but this dude was dusting defenders left and right

Mainejet

Practice Squad
Charlie Kolar is a sneaky good, great value pick. I wanted the Jets to take him if they couldn't get Trey McBride. However, being that the Jets acquired CJ Uzomah and Tyler Conklin through FA, TE suddenly wasn't such a need pick. I had seen all the stories about Jeremy Ruckert playing at OSU, being a Long Island kid, and a lifelong Jets fan. But when he couldn't play at the senior bowl I thought his goose was cooked. But apparently JD and the Jets CS loved Ruckert in senior bowl practices. He was only underutilized because the Buckeyes offense had Garrett Wilson and Chris Olave as their main stars. Joe Douglas is in fact so confident Ruckert will emerge as a star after year 2 the latest, that JD has easy outs written into Uzomah and Conklins contracts respectively. If Ruckert turns out to be a truly great, all purpose TE, this could be a true representative of Joe Douglas‘s drafting prowess. Something that if the Jets win the SB within the next 3 seasons (like I think they're going to), the media and football fans will look at Douglas drafting Ruckert as one of the key cogs that made the Jets finally overcome their inferiority complex. This could be the move that makes everyone in football sing Joe Douglas‘s praises....

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Charlie Kolar is a sneaky good, great value pick. I wanted the Jets to take him if they couldn't get Trey McBride. However, being that the Jets acquired CJ Uzomah and Tyler Conklin through FA, TE suddenly wasn't such a need pick. I had seen all the stories about Jeremy Ruckert playing at OSU, being a Long Island kid, and a lifelong Jets fan. But when he couldn't play at the senior bowl I thought his goose was cooked. But apparently JD and the Jets CS loved Ruckert in senior bowl practices. He was only underutilized because the Buckeyes offense had Garrett Wilson and Chris Olave as their main stars. Joe Douglas is in fact so confident Ruckert will emerge as a star after year 2 the latest, that JD has easy outs written into Uzomah and Conklins contracts respectively. If Ruckert turns out to be a truly great, all purpose TE, this could be a true representative of Joe Douglas‘s drafting prowess. Something that if the Jets win the SB within the next 3 seasons (like I think they're going to), the media and football fans will look at Douglas drafting Ruckert as one of the key cogs that made the Jets finally overcome their inferiority complex. This could be the move that makes everyone in football sing Joe Douglas‘s praises....

senior bowl's important for the meetings the guys have with teams more than the play on the field
the on-field stuff is most important for smaller-school guys

with regards to ruckert and contracts - those signings were before the draft right? he's not structuring outs into vet contracts on the chance they might get a guy they like in the draft

but also it's a little wild to think that a TE picked on day 2 is going to be the reason the jets get to a superbowl (if they do) - it's going to be about the QB he picks and early signs on zach wilson last year were not good lol but if the roster's in a good place because of the other picks he's made he's got a chance to maybe pick another one next year if it doesnt work out with wilson

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
senior bowl's important for the meetings the guys have with teams more than the play on the field

with regards to ruckert and contracts - those signings were before the draft right? he's not structuring outs into vet contracts on the chance they might get a guy they like in the draft

but also it's a little wild to think that a TE picked on day 2 is going to be the reason the jets get to a superbowl (if they do) - it's going to be about the QB he picks and early signs on zach wilson last year were not good lol but if the roster's in a good place because of the other picks he's made he's got a chance to maybe pick another one next year if it doesnt work out with wilson
If we get to the super bowl with Lamar and I feel we will, I guarantee you that Mark Andrews will have something to do with it and that's day 2.

Mainejet

Practice Squad

But that's the word on the street... Yes, JD signed Uzomah and Conklin before the draft but also after the senior bowl. Ron Middleton (Jets TE coach) coached the senior bowl team and sang Ruckerts praises. He liked Ruckert specifically more than the others available. So word has it JD signed Uzomah and Conklin specifically writing in contract language that would allow the Jets to cut one or both after year 2. Coincidentally, that's when Ruckerts 2nd year is up. They're so confident in Ruckert, they feel they can cut at least high priced veteran. It will actually save them cap space.

And I'm not saying Ruckert will be the reason the Jets go to the SB eventually. He'll just be another move in several JD made that transformed the roster. Prior to JD arriving, honestly I think the Jets had so little talent they would have lost to college teams....

rossihunter2

Staff Member
But that's the word on the street... Yes, JD signed Uzomah and Conklin before the draft but also after the senior bowl. Ron Middleton (Jets TE coach) coached the senior bowl team and sang Ruckerts praises. He liked Ruckert specifically more than the others available. So word has it JD signed Uzomah and Conklin specifically writing in contract language that would allow the Jets to cut one or both after year 2. Coincidentally, that's when Ruckerts 2nd year is up. They're so confident in Ruckert, they feel they can cut at least high priced veteran. It will actually save them cap space.

And I'm not saying Ruckert will be the reason the Jets go to the SB eventually. He'll just be another move in several JD made that transformed the roster. Prior to JD arriving, honestly I think the Jets had so little talent they would have lost to college teams....

it's not uncommon for teams to create outs for themselves with free agent vets at a position
they definitely didnt do it knowing that they'd get a guy they "really wanted" at 101 in the draft... im not saying they didnt like ruckert and im not saying that they wont let those guys go if he makes a step, im disagreeing with the idea that they knew they were getting ruckert before they signed those veterans and that's why they designed them with 1 year outs... which is also untrue anyway as uzomah's deal doesn't have an out after 1 year

and if your argument is that 3 year deals have outs after 2 years and that that's somehow special or creative... that's basically every multi-year contract ever handed out by every NFL team ever except for kirk cousins and deshaun watson...