• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Welcome to B-More, John Brown & Michael Crabtree

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Ozzie mentioned, " some people still criticize the contract we gave our quarterback....but he won us a Superbowl.... "

Talked about the need to get Joe weapons....

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
well, post contract he won us nothing and got us nowhere.....almost 6 years now.

dementia setting in ozzie?

RayRayRaven

Veteran
as was the problem when you last suggested this but getting rid of flacco this year actively makes us worse off in cap space not better - we have at least 1 more year of flacco and more likely 2 more years of flacco

"Locked In" with Joe joe is how it has been perceived. However, all I ever wanted out of dealin JoeJoe was the draft picks. The dead cap never phased me and JoeJoe still had trade value even with the contract. My understanding is ALL signing bonus, even deferred, is incurred by the team that signs the Nonsense Deal. ALL a team taking JoeJoe would have to fork over would be his base salary and options. (I think Joe Joe has even earned all his guarantee at this point...which means they could waive him.) We could still do it, but JoeJoe's residual value has crashed with his substandard play. But there was a time we had it! We just let that window slip by. Had we finished 1-15 for two years running and received pics for JoeJoe I would be livin large! Course we would have had to "exit" the current front office to protect all those early draft picks, but that was part of a master plan that our guys were both not smart enough to perceive and too vested in their own job security to implement. No playoffs since then! In hindsight who was correct? RayRayClairevoyantRaven or Raven's Management? (That's a rhetorical question...yeah its spelled in French...razz me. :p)

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
"Locked In" with Joe joe is how it has been perceived. However, all I ever wanted out of dealin JoeJoe was the draft picks. The dead cap never phased me and JoeJoe still had trade value even with the contract. My understanding is ALL signing bonus, even deferred, is incurred by the team that signs the Nonsense Deal. ALL a team taking JoeJoe would have to fork over would be his base salary and options. (I think Joe Joe has even earned all his guarantee at this point...which means they could waive him.) We could still do it, but JoeJoe's residual value has crashed with his substandard play. But there was a time we had it! We just let that window slip by. Had we finished 1-15 for two years running and received pics for JoeJoe I would be livin large! Course we would have had to "exit" the current front office to protect all those early draft picks, but that was part of a master plan that our guys were both not smart enough to perceive and too vested in their own job security to implement. No playoffs since then! In hindsight who was correct? RayRayClairevoyantRaven or Raven's Management? (That's a rhetorical question...yeah its spelled in French...razz me. :p)
This isn't true at all. The only amount of money that is taken on by the team trading for him is the salary, option bonuses and roster bonues. The initial signing bonus has to be paid by team that offered him the contract.

If you look at spotrac.com or overthecap.com you will see the contract details.

RayRayRaven

Veteran
This isn't true at all. The only amount of money that is taken on by the team trading for him is the salary, option bonuses and roster bonues. The initial signing bonus has to be paid by team that offered him the contract.

If you look at spotrac.com or overthecap.com you will see the contract details.

precisely
if you look at it from the perspective of the "target team"...a.k.a. Cleveland........they were our oyster, but there is no childbirth without pain!

Ozzie mentioned, " some people still criticize the contract we gave our quarterback....but he won us a Superbowl.... "

Talked about the need to get Joe weapons....
Yeah, he has a good point. Not trolling but let's be honest here, you don't need to do as much as Joe did to earn 100M.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Thats not how guaranteed money works. That money was paid at the time of signing by us, since it was already paid it has to be removed from our cap. No avoiding guaranteed money

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
why crabtree is a great signing for us:
all the best wrs have something in common, theyre naturals at it, but this is very specifically for us. we had 3 guys who were absolute naturals at this, they were just blessed with a natural ability to play wr, stopping on a dime, contorting your body to adjust to a pass, the neck turn and vision to track a ball in the air, the hand eye coordination to get your hands on a ball, the spatial awareness to split defenders or to work the boundaries, it all second nature to them, and all these things that you just cant coach that separates athletes from wrs, crabtree has it. he may drop the ball a bit, but he has one thing that all the ravens greats at wr have had, natural ability. derrick mason, anquan boldin, steve smith,and even dennis pitta and todd heap, they were all naturals, they worked hard at their craft for sure, but they were born with an innate ability to get their hands on a ball in circumstances that a mike wallace or torrey smith simply can not.

this innate ability is some shit that we desperately lack. mike wallace, chris moore, and breshad perriman, all look awkward and labored trying to catch the ball. they dont work back to it, they dont attack it, they dont have the flexibility or hand-eye coordination to track them and pluck them out of the air, they dont highpoint well and toe tap or turn upfield well, it all just looks very difficult for them to catch the ball. crabtree, for all his drops, doesnt have these issues, he can get his damn hands on that ball and come down inbounds with it as well any receiver in the league, but as a massive bonus, hes a craftsman, hes smart and sneaky and highly polished, physical and savvy route runner with supreme awareness and knack for slipping out of coverage. crabtree changes our offense, because we now have a guy who can be relied on even without separation, if nobody is open, flacco can throw it to crabtree in moments of desparation, we now have a chance to haul in those desparate passes, which we havent had since steve smith.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
hey why dont you stop trying to fucking reason with us you nerd, take that rational shit elsewhere.
If you say so....

arrested-development-sad-walk-gif-8.gif

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
all the best wrs have something in common, theyre naturals at it, but this is very specifically for us. we had 3 guys who were absolute naturals at this, they were just blessed with a natural ability to play wr, stopping on a dime, contorting your body to adjust to a pass, the neck turn and vision to track a ball in the air, the hand eye coordination to get your hands on a ball, the spatial awareness to split defenders or to work the boundaries, it all second nature to them, and all these things that you just cant coach that separates athletes from wrs, crabtree has it. he may drop the ball a bit, but he has one thing that all the ravens greats at wr have had, natural ability. derrick mason, anquan boldin, steve smith,and even dennis pitta and todd heap, they were all naturals, they worked hard at their craft for sure, but they were born with an innate ability to get their hands on a ball in circumstances that a mike wallace or torrey smith simply can not.

this innate ability is some shit that we desperately lack. mike wallace, chris moore, and breshad perriman, all look awkward and labored trying to catch the ball. they dont work back to it, they dont attack it, they dont have the flexibility or hand-eye coordination to track them and pluck them out of the air, they dont highpoint well and toe tap or turn upfield well, it all just looks very difficult for them to catch the ball. crabtree, for all his drops, doesnt have these issues, he can get his damn hands on that ball and come down inbounds with it as well any receiver in the league, but as a massive bonus, hes a craftsman, hes smart and sneaky and highly polished, physical and savvy route runner with supreme awareness and knack for slipping out of coverage. crabtree changes our offense, because we now have a guy who can be relied on even without separation, if nobody is open, flacco can throw it to crabtree in moments of desparation, we now have a chance to haul in those desparate passes, which we havent had since steve smith.
People forget Steve Smith had drop problems throughout his career as well. It didn’t stop him from being great.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
all the best wrs have something in common, theyre naturals at it, but this is very specifically for us. we had 3 guys who were absolute naturals at this, they were just blessed* with a natural ability to play wr, stopping on a dime, contorting your body to adjust to a pass, the

* dey woz blessed *