• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Eric DeCosta

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
i wouldn’t normally do this but I want to recommend everyone listen the lounge podcast episode with Eric decosta- as panicky and frantic we can get as a fan base listening to Eric speak always soothes and calms me - we are in such excellent hands moving forwards
According to @Lost_In_Translation we are screwed if Decosta stays lol. Who should I believe <_<

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
i wouldn’t normally do this but I want to recommend everyone listen the lounge podcast episode with Eric decosta- as panicky and frantic we can get as a fan base listening to Eric speak always soothes and calms me - we are in such excellent hands moving forwards
Is it the same interview from last year. If so I totally agree. I'm going to have to look for it. Where did you find it?

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Well, Decosta thinks there's more defensive talent in the top 25 of the draft than offensive. While I definitely want Moore or one of the top o-linemen, I can't disagree with that. Plus, we reworked our WRs a bit, so waiting until day 2 to go that route wouldn't be bad if a damn good defender falls to us.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Well, Decosta thinks there's more defensive talent in the top 25 of the draft than offensive. While I definitely want Moore or one of the top o-linemen, I can't disagree with that. Plus, we reworked our WRs a bit, so waiting until day 2 to go that route wouldn't be bad if a damn good defender falls to us.

just because the defensive talent is weighted heavier in the top 25 doesnt mean that there arent offensive players worthy of that 16th pick

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
He admitted that certain players were drafted(by us), higher than they should have been because of a positional need.

This is some admission. Essentially this whole BPA approach that had been the mantra and guiding principle administered for years was consciously chucked out the window.

You can't take Breshad Perriman,(for example), in the first round of you have a second round grade on him.

DeCosta admitted that we have drafted out of desperation.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
He admitted that certain players were drafted(by us), higher than they should have been because of a positional need.

This is some admission. Essentially this whole BPA approach that had been the mantra and guiding principle administered for years was consciously chucked out the window.

You can't take Breshad Perriman,(for example), in the first round of you have a second round grade on him.

DeCosta admitted that we have drafted out of desperation.

no he said we might need to adjust to start taking certain position groups higher than in the past - not that that was something we had done in the past - where did he say that they had consciously reached for guys?

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
no he said we might need to adjust to start taking certain position groups higher than in the past - not that that was something we had done in the past - where did he say that they had consciously reached for guys?
32:30. A little before maybe.
" If you draft a guy because he is a skill position player, but maybe you draft him HIGHER THAN YOU'D LIKE TO DRAFT HIM..... "

rossihunter2

Staff Member
32:30. A little before maybe.
" If you draft a guy because he is a skill position player, but maybe you draft him HIGHER THAN YOU'D LIKE TO DRAFT HIM..... "

he's not talking about the ravens in that sentence - he's talking in the abstract about league fanbases in general and the obsession with skill position players

the entire conversation before it gives it context - they are talking about how the ravens need to adjust the way they view skill position players because the league has changed the way it values them - a lower graded player may still have higher value and the ravens are looking at that league phenomenon and are adjusting their mindset with regards to those players

literally their next question to eric is about whether the ravens look at prospects differently because of that league-wide phenomenon and he literally says 'i didnt say that'

he's talking philosophically about the way the league has changed in the way it values certain positions and that the ravens may need to adjust their thinking maybe from a mindset of BPA to BVA (best value available)

EDIT: i literally went back to the podcast to check (and started it at 30:00 and rolled through) because i was sure but you gave me a timecode and i can confirm im right...

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
He's speaking hypothetically but it takes only a little reading into to understand that he's talking about this fan base and that he's referring to Perriman.

You may not infer the same and it's possible I'm off but I don't think so. A little too, " hypothetical " for me.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
He's speaking hypothetically but it takes only a little reading into to understand that he's talking about this fan base and that he's referring to Perriman.

You may not infer the same and it's possible I'm off but I don't think so. A little too, " hypothetical " for me.
I mean...Perriman was considered a late 1st, early 2nd round pick so I don’t think we reached on our board considering he was picked at 26.