• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Rossi's NFL Gone Wild Mock

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Mock draft time

So I got a bit bored assembling my big board (that post is still to come) but I realised I've not put my thoughts down anywhere so I decided to get fairly creative...

I think it's important to note I had no idea what the Ravens pick was going to be or what they would do with the pick - all I knew going in was that I was not going to leave those top 15 picks stay where they were - I'd rather be completely wrong than just mostly wrong if it brings up something interesting...

Round 1

1: Browns: SAM DARNOLD QB
The Browns take the consensus number 1 qb even though I disagree but the media lovefest about him throwing in the rain just cements his status as the number 1 overall pick​
2: Bills (via Giants): JOSH ROSEN QB
The Bills realise they have to get into the top 4 picks or one of the top 4 qbs will be gone - the giants make the mistake of not taking a qb this year and take the 2 first rounders this year (and maybe the bills first next year too)​
3: Jets (via Colts): JOSH ALLEN QB
The Jets have the ability to take Allen for his traits and not worry about his problems - a year sat behind teddy bridgewater who's looking to save his career and josh mccown who is an extra qb coach and the jets will hope he is the clear starter to enter the 2019 season​
4: Broncos (via Browns): BAKER MAYFIELD QB
The Broncos are terrified that the Cardinals or Dolphins are going to jump up ahead of them to take the last qb they deem draftable - Elway overpays a bit and the Browns are happy to only move back one spot and still get the same guy - initially I thought this would be the Cardinals jumping up here but then I thought Elway might be more desperate...​
5: Browns (via Broncos): SAQUON BARKLEY RB
The Browns take a guy who on some boards has a perfect grading and the best player on most draft boards​
6: Colts (via Jets): BRADLEY CHUBB EDGE
The Colts consider potentially trading further back but ultimately take the other guy people refer to most often as a top 3 pick (and probably would have ended up being their pick at number 3 if they'd stayed there​
7: Bucs: MINKAH FITZPATRICK DB
The Bucs are spoilt for choice but ultimately take the guy who helps them move Vernon Hargreaves to the inside full time​
8: Cardinals (via Bears): LAMAR JACKSON QB
Surprise! 4 qbs in the top 4 and now a 5th in the top 10... The cardinals know they need to find a guy and Jackson is rated high enough on their board that they go up and get him a la Deshaun Watson who they were apparently very interested in last year​
9: 49ers: TREMAINE EDMUNDS LB
The 49ers take the highest guy on their board and a nice complement to Reuben Foster (if he returns)​
10: Raiders: ROQUAN SMITH LB
The Raiders have a need and old-fashioned sensibilities at coach now so they get the hard-nosed inside linebacker who they needed anyway​
11: Dolphins: VITA VEA DL
The Dolphins try to make up from looking silly all offseason with some of their personnel moves and from being jumped on every single viable potential qb so they take the guy they hope replaces Ndamukong Suh for a tenth of the cap space​
12: Giants (via Bills via Bengals): QUENTON NELSON OG
A team finally takes the best player on my board and despite being a guard Nelson is the first olineman off the board - and way too late​
13: Washington: DERWIN JAMES S
Washington can't believe its luck - maybe the premier db in the draft on many boards falls to them and a new locker room leader in this era of roster identity change in their building​
14: Packers: DENZEL WARD CB
The Packers upgrade on Demarius Randall and fill a huge franchise need​
15: Bears (via Cardinals): MIKE MCGLINCHEY OT
The Bears hired the Notre Dame Oline coach and they were always going to give him one of his guys - it was only a question of which one - Nelson goes to the Giants so Mcglinchey is going to Chicago to protect Trubisky​

16: Ravens: CALVIN RIDLEY WR
The Ravens are dumbfounded, they have multiple guys they liked at this spot and were soliciting offers to jump ahead of the Chargers but Ridley fell to 16 and nothing makes more sense than Ozzie ending his Ravens tenure by taking a Bama WR (his most positive and negative draft habits in one pick)

17: Chargers: DA'RON PAYNE DL
The Chargers take the top rated DL on their board​
18: Seahawks: CONNOR WILLIAMS OT
The Seahawks breathe a sigh of relief that Germain Ifedi doesn't have to play right tackle and can move inside - and suddenly their whole Oline looks much sturdier and the Seahawks protect Russel Wilson for the first time in his career​
19: Cowboys: COURTLAND SUTTON WR
The Cowboys (rightfully) fear the Ravens taking Ridley but can't work out a trade to 13/14/15 and so end up taking a big bodied WR they feel can add the athleticism to make up for Prescott's crushing inaccuracy at qb and ultimately give them more leverage with Dez Bryant​
20: Lions: JOSHUA JACKSON CB
The Lions give rookie head coach Matt Patricia a nice outside corner to help build that defence up​
21: Bengals (via Bills): ISAIAH WYNN OG
The Bengals finally invest some draft capital in their Oline​
22: Giants (via Bills): MASON RUDOLPH QB
And now the draft gets really crazy because the Giants realise they might need to take their last high rated qb before the saints or the jags (or if the dolphins wake up) and think they can get an EDGE guy later on​
23: Rams: RASHAAN EVANS LB
Wade Phillips chuckles menacingly to himself as Les Snead gives him another weapon to attack other teams with on defence​
24: Panthers: CHRISTIAN KIRK WR
The Panthers continue changing the way their offence looks by adding a high octane shifty weapon and eschewing a big-body type​
25: Titans: HAROLD LANDRY EDGE
The Titans feel comfortable without interior OL help and don't need a 3 down OLB with Derrick Morgan and Brian Orakpo in house but want to add a speed threat to their pass rush immediately​
26: Falcons: MAURICE HURST DL
The Falcons revamp their DL and take maybe the best pass rushing DL in the draft now that the NFL is comfortable with the heart scare from the combine​
27: Saints: DALLAS GOEDERT TE
The Saints couldn't get the TE they want in free agency so they take the best one available with their first round draft pick and put him in an offence where he wont need to be featured and likely won't see much attention from defences​
28: Steelers: JAIRE ALEXANDER CB
The Steelers could go linebacker but they ultimately like the feistiness of this DB more who can play nickel as well as outside​
29: Jags: WILL HERNANDEZ OG
Outside of QB this Jags team is absolutely stacked at most positions but they take a mauler on the inside to help open some holes for Fournette and take more pressure away from Bortles​
30: Vikings: DJ MOORE WR
And Baltimore hearts break but it makes so much sense for the Vikings to go and pick up another Maryland guy but with even more upside than even Diggs to give Cousins more weapons and put him in prime position​
31: Patriots: KOLTON MILLER OT
The Pats have to reach (in conventional terms) for a replacement for Nate Solder as every other position on their line is solid - and who knows how the Pats grade players because the media sure as hell dont​
32: Eagles: DERRIUS GUICE RB
The Eagles take a high value player at a position of need and get a 3 down back to give Wentz yet another outlet in his comeback - the eagles despite ending the year in cap hell have somehow managed to seriously improve their roster significantly from their superbowl victory​

Round 2

Some interesting players make it to the 2nd round and one guy gets a bit forgotten and falls to the Ravens...

52: Ravens: BILLY PRICE OG/C
His injury at the combine and the large amount of Oline talent in and around this range causes Price to fall and the Ravens take their time but ultimately the talent and positional fit make the opportunity cost of not taking him at pick 52 too large and they hand his name to the commish - assuming the Ravens checked his medicals and were confident the issue really was minor, Price is expected back by training camp and the Ravens nab a steal that seriously beefs up their interior

Round 3

The Ravens nab their own flashy name and a guy who supposedly thinks of the Ravens as his hometown team...

83: Ravens: IAN THOMAS TE
This might be a bit of a stretch that he's available but I could see the Ravens maybe manoeuvring around the 3rd round if he's still hanging around or hoping that he falls into their laps like Timmy Williams did - he's a high ceiling move tight end with potential as an in-line tight end too who's raw all around (i'd say of everyone in this mock that Thomas lasting this far into round 3 seems most far-fetched to me personally but it felt right picking him here)

Round 4

118: Ravens: HOLTON HILL CB

Not a position of need but a guy with day 2 talent but who's been consistently inconsistent throughout college - he's a young outside corner with length but maturity issues and inconsistency get him falling into day 3 and the Ravens decide to take a chance on a guy with immense potential but is an incredibly boom/bust prospect

Round 5

154: Ravens: DURHAM SMYTHE TE

The Ravens double down at tight end with a safer but less spectacular prospect in Smythe who has great catch potential and a strong basis for NFL blocking albeit will never be a dynamic downfield threat - partly a future replacement to boyle and/or maxx and partly a complement to Thomas

Last edited:

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
I loved this draft in the first 3 rounds but then you threw me off with the next 2 picks. If we do go corner in the 4th round id much rather Darius Phillips.

Not sure id want to double dip at TE either....we have Maxx and Boyle who both compliment Ian Thomas well.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I loved this draft in the first 3 rounds but then you threw me off with the next 2 picks. If we do go corner in the 4th round id much rather Darius Phillips.

Not sure id want to double dip at TE either....we have Maxx and Boyle who both compliment Ian Thomas well.

I wasn’t picking positionally really at all - I was mostly just going off my board and who I think will be gone and then roughly pinpointing a general area and taking the BPA - obviously my board is weighted towards offence because need is inherently part of it - hill and smythe were the top guys in the right sort of range when I was picking

But I can certainly understand why you wouldn’t necessarily be a fan

Hill I guess is personal preference on dbs

But smythe for me is a long term move rather than just looking at 2018 - I fully expect both maxx and Boyle to be gone next year so I envision smythe filling that in-line gap and hopefully progressing as a pass catcher too

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
I wasn’t picking positionally really at all - I was mostly just going off my board and who I think will be gone and then roughly pinpointing a general area and taking the BPA - obviously my board is weighted towards offence because need is inherently part of it - hill and smythe were the top guys in the right sort of range when I was picking

But I can certainly understand why you wouldn’t necessarily be a fan

Hill I guess is personal preference on dbs

But smythe for me is a long term move rather than just looking at 2018 - I fully expect both maxx and Boyle to be gone next year so I envision smythe filling that in-line gap and hopefully progressing as a pass catcher too
True. I guess im just so stuck on us either double dipping at WR or OL in the draft. Id really like for us to draft another lineman in round 4-6 because its been somewhat of a sweet spot for us. Id also like for us to pick a linebacker at some point. Micah Kiser would work perfectly here as hes from Baltimore but i also like what Fred Warner out of BYU could do for us as a cover linebacker

UKRaven

Practice Squad
Good 1st round there definitely, The more I look at the QB frenzy I do think a top 10 talent is just going to fall into our lap.

Seeing James 3 spots higher would hurt! Want this guy as a Raven!!!

Random side note if the Jags added Hernandez to that O line then I need to make sure Fournette is in my fantasy team lol!