• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Scout's Mock Draft

Scout

Practice Squad
The defense is set outside of finding an inside linebacker to play next to Mosley. I don't think it'll be a need they address really early, however.

In my opinion, the Ravens top needs are OL (RT, C and competition at OG), WR and TE. I'm pretty sure that's the consensus, but thought I'd reiterate.

In this mock, I predict the Chargers are desperate to prevent anyone from moving ahead of them for a QB. Therefore, they give the Ravens a fourth-round pick to move down only one spot. From there, this is how I see it going:

R1 (017): WR Calvin Ridley, Alabama - This makes too much sense. Baltimore needs offensive weapons and Ridley is the top WR in the draft. I could care less that he can't jump through the roof -- he doesn't need to.
R2 (052): TE Hayden Hurst, South Carolina - Hurst is the most pro-ready tight end in this class. He's shown the ability to block and be a security blanket, which is crucial as the Ravens try to rebuild the arsenal on that side of the football. The comparisons to Dallas Clark are very real.

*It's at this point that I would look to trade back up and snag an interior offensive lineman. Use the original fourth-round pick (No. 118) and sixth-rounder (No. 190) to move up to the top of the third round -- maybe with the Giants or Broncos.

R3 (069): OL Billy Price, Ohio State - Yes, it's very possible Price will go in the second round. At the same time, the injury could slightly effect his stock. We've also seen interior offensive linemen fall before, so it's possible Price could still be there.
R4 (119): OT Alex Cappa, Humboldt State - Here's the right tackle of the future. Nasty offensive lineman who could take some time to adjust to the NFL level, but he's got starting qualities.
R5 (154): LB Christian Sam, Arizona State - This pick was tough. I believe Josey Jewell, Darius Leonard and a lot of those other guys are gone by this pick. I also considered Micah Kiser and Kenny Young here, but I like Sam for this spot. It wouldn't be surprising to see Baltimore take multiple late-round ILBs in this draft, however.
R6 (215): Richie James WR, Middle Tenn State - Ridley will more likely be the starter in the slot in 2018, but he could also be effective outside. James is an electric receiver with the chance to take over inside duties sometime in the future.
R7 (238): LB Shaun Dion Hamilton, Alabama - Injuries are certainly a cause for concern. When Hamilton is on the field, he's pretty good, though. There's nothing flashy about him. He's just a good football player.

QB: Joe Flacco / Robert Griffin III
RB: Alex Collins / Javorius Allen / Kenneth Dixon
FB: Ricky Ortiz
WR: Michael Crabtree / Breshad Perriman
WR: John Brown / Chris Moore
Slot: Calvin Ridley / Richie James
TE: Nick Boyle / Hayden Hurst / Maxx Williams
LT: Ronnie Stanley / James Hurst
LG: Alex Lewis / Nico Siragusa
C: Billy Price / Luke Bowanko / Matt Skura
RG: Marshal Yanda / Jermaine Eluemunor
RT: Alex Cappa / Maurice Shakir

DE: Brent Urban / Chris Wormley / Bronson Kaufusi
NT: Michael Pierce / Carl Davis / Patrick Ricard
DT: Brandon Williams / Willie Henry
RUSH: Terrell Suggs / Za'Darius Smith / Tim Williams
ILB: C.J. Mosley / Albert McClellan / Shaun Dion Hamilton
ILB: Patrick Onwuasor / Kamalei Correa / Christian Sam
SAM: Matt Judon / Tyus Bowser
LCB: Marlon Humphrey / Jaylen Hill
RCB: Jimmy Smith / Maurice Canady
Slot: Brandon Carr / Tavon Young
FS: Eric Weddle / Chuck Clark
SS: Tony Jefferson / Anthony Levine Sr.

K: Justin Tucker
P: Sam Koch
LS: Morgan Cox

There's still a couple concerns with this roster. The first is that Cappa may not be ready to start. As a result, Baltimore could look to free agent options for a stop-gap. The other problem here is running back. There's a lot of question marks here. Yes, the trio should be fine to get the offense by for a year if they had to, but I also wouldn't be surprised if they looked for a running back in the draft as well.

Scout

Practice Squad
Exhibit A as to why I claimed Alex Collins was being swept under the rug
There’s no doubt he looked impressive. But A) it’s a limited sample size and B) It never hurts to add more depth at the position. We’ve seen the Jeremy Hill/Zac Stacy type of situations happen.

He isn’t being swept under the rug. He just isn’t being handed the keys to the kingdom so quickly. He’ll get his chance.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
There’s no doubt he looked impressive. But A) it’s a limited sample size and B) It never hurts to add more depth at the position. We’ve seen the Jeremy Hill/Zac Stacy type of situations happen.

He isn’t being swept under the rug. He just isn’t being handed the keys to the kingdom so quickly. He’ll get his chance.
Especially since Buck is in a contract year and will likely be moving on after the 2018 season.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Carr is not a slot cb, Young will start over him easily and Canady will most likely back him up. Dixon could start the year as the number 3, but will most likely end up being Collins / Dixon