• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

One Last Mock Before the Draft

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Hopefully this time I won't forget one of the top players when guessing who goes before us. And again I'll try to change up things a bit rather than targeting the same guys.

Round 1 pick 1, Browns: Baker Mayfield, QB
Round 1 pick 2, Giants: Saquan Barkley, RB
Pick 3, Jets: Josh Rosen, QB
Pick 4, Browns: Bradley Chubb, DE
Pick 5, Broncos: Josh Allen, QB
Pick 6, Colts: Quenton Nelson, G
Pick 7, Buccs: Minkah Fitzpatrick, S
Pick 8, Bears: Denzel Ward, CB
Pick 9, 49ers: Trumaine Edmunds, LB
Pick 10, Raiders: Derwin James, S
Pick 11, Dolphins: Vita Vea, DT
Pick 12, Bills: Sam Darnold, QB
Pick 13, Redskins: Payne, DT
Pick 14, Packers: Marcus Davenport, edge
Pick 15, Cardinals: Lamar Jackson, QB

Round 1, Pick 16: Calvin Ridley, WR, Alabama

calvin-ridley-mock-draft-2018-660.jpg

I think if a real draft went down along these lines someone trades with the Packers or Redskins to jump ahead of the Ravens to get him. But in this specific scenario Ridley falls to us, and Ozzie personally runs to the stage, pushes the Roger out of the way, and announces the pick. Also, I genuinely tried to have Ridley go before us, but aside from the Bears, no one else is really jumping for a WR ahead of us. They all have glaring needs elsewhere or already have a really good WR corp. And for the Bears, it actually does make more sense to take a top player elsewhere at a thinner position and then grab someone like Washington or Kirk in the early 2nd.

Round 2,: Martinas Rankin, OT, Mississippi State

901068314.jpg.0.jpg

A high floor, plug and play right tackle. He's at his best as a mauling run blocker, but can also hold his own as a pass blocker. Basically, he won't get Flacco killed like our other options at RT. Plus, in a draft that's thin at the position, Rankin is well worth the 2nd round selection.

Round 3: Oren Burks, LB, Vanderbilt

Oren-Burks-by-StacyRevere-GettyImages4988_nwdyfx.jpg

Very versatile, jack of all trades, high football IQ guy that can fill the glaring hole next to Mosley. His biggest strength is his coverage ability, though he's not afraid to get physical in the run game. With Burks, we won't get abused by TEs and receiving backs every time Mosley is hurt. Also the combination of Burks and Bowser gives us the ability to match up to a lot of different offensive sets without constantly having to use subpackages. Our base defense would be able to handle anything thrown at.

Round 4: Steve Ishmael, WR, Syracuse

110515_S_a1fb_BryanCereijo_SP.jpg

The most overlooked WR in this draft. Ishmael might be my personal 2nd favorite player in this draft next to Ian Thomas. He just plays with so much passion and physicality. He's really the perfect fit for Flacco. We know Flacco can be deadly in the intermediate range with WRs he actually trust to fight for the ball and reliably catch it. Ishmael is Mr. Reliable that'll let Flacco get into that rhythm. I'd absolutely love a top three of Ridley, Crabtree, and Ishmael.

Round 5: Colby Gossett, G, Appalachian State

DTwrXI0W4AAEY2l.jpg

A mauler that played very well his senior year, not giving up any sacks and getting penalized only three times. Obviously a bit of a project given the level he played at, but our coaches have done a lot with less physically impressive guys than him. Seems like someone we could coach up into an eventual starter or at least a really good backup. Plus he fits our running scheme.

Round 6: Chris Herndon, TE, Miami

gettyimages-867500352.jpg

An athletic TE that never seemed to step up after Njoku left. Granted, his team didn't do him any favors. Plus an injury his senior year hurt his draft stock. Basically, he's got a much better chance of becoming a late round gem than most guys you'll find at this point in the draft, and fits one or our needs.

Round 6 (comp): Ryan Nall, RB, Oregon

00003598410536.jpg

The Ravens already have a fairly good power back in Dixon, but given the struggles Dixon has had to actually play regularly, having a second one could come in handy. And Nall was a very productive runner.

Round 7: Rick Leonard, OT, Florida ST

6_4456038.jpg

A converted DE without too much experience. He's a project player. That said, he's a fairly athletic one. I could see us making him into a better swing tackle than Hurst after a season of coaching up.

Last edited:

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
I think Rankin is going to be a guard in the NFL. Better suited there.

Also I think Herndon goes before the 6th. I think he’s gonna be one of those guys that doesn’t have the media hype but teams are high on him. He’s raw but he’s a yac monster. If Herndon had a better QB he’s a top 5 TE. Similar to Thomas in the fact that he was misused/underused and will be a better NFL player than college player.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I think Rankin is going to be a guard in the NFL. Better suited there.

Also I think Herndon goes before the 6th. I think he’s gonna be one of those guys that doesn’t have the media hype but teams are high on him. He’s raw but he’s a yac monster. If Herndon had a better QB he’s a top 5 TE. Similar to Thomas in the fact that he was misused/underused and will be a better NFL player than college player.

im not 100% sure where rankin ends up but i think i agree with you that he's probably got a higher ceiling at guard

i think herndon's upside and a tight end class that lacks receiving options beyond the top 5-6 players means that herndon goes before the 6th too

my biggest issue with this mock is burks - he's an interesting player but he's such a developmental prospect that id struggle to justify taking him before the 4th/5th round

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
Burks in the third is a big time reach imo. I like Rankins but he wouldn't be my choice in the second. I'd take Jones or Crosby before him.