• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Positonal rankings

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'm not really a mock draft fan. I like rankings a lot better. So I have decided to post some of my rankings here. I hope you post yours below.

QB:

1. Rosen
2. Mayfield
3. Jackson
4. Darnold
5. Allen and Lauletta

In general this QB draft class is very intriguing: 1. unusual depth and 2.more potential franchise QBs than in the previous years and 3. a wide spectrum of different QB styles and types.
I can only grade the player and not the character.

Rosen is far ahead of everyone regarding the technical and mechanical standpoint and especially those 2 points are some of the most difficult things for a Qb to learn given the game’s much fast at the NFL level and because of stronger competition.
Mayfield progresses through his reads and operates well against pressure, but you need to adjust your offense to fit his playingstyle.
Jacksons the most electrifying QB, he’s basically like Mayfield his success will depend on scheme. You have to incorporate rpos and zone reads. People underrate him because they think he’s a scrambler but 73% of his runs were designed runs. He played in an erhardt-perkins offense. so he knows option routes and complex reads. But he has to fix his footwork: his legs are too close together.
Darnold is a difficult case. I don’t buy the hype. Highlights and chaotic plays he’s got all of them. True gunslinger. shaky footwork and stevie wonder reads. He can fix his problems and the potential is obvious. But I don’t see the clear cut nr1 overall QB.
Allen: He’s a project. AA+ and most natural talent. But his accuracy is inconsistent at best. Too much off-script. He needs time and I don’t draft any guy who needs time in the 1st round. But he isn’t as bad as most of his critics say.
Lauletta I haven’t found much tape on him. He’s the smartest QB in this class. Accuracy is ++, quick release. But arm talent limits scheme. I think he’s ready to start by mid-season. Huge steal.

Rest of it in Mayock style:

RB:
1.Barkley
2.Guice
3.RoJo
4.Johnson
5.Michel

TE:

1.Goedert
2.Gesicki
3.Hurst
4.Andrews
5.Thomas

OT:

1.McGlinchey
2.Williams
3.Crosby
4.Brown
5.Rankin

G:

1.Nelson
2.Wynn
3.Hernandez
4.Corbett
5.Smith

C: I haven’t even watched 5 lol

1.Daniels
2.Price
3.Ragnow

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I believe the Patriots are targeting Lamar Jackson in the first round. His familiarity with Erhardt Perkins is a huge plus as that is what they have been running since he was hired as head coach.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
I believe the Patriots are targeting Lamar Jackson in the first round. His familiarity with Erhardt Perkins is a huge plus as that is what they have been running since he was hired as head coach.
I wonder if it'd be possible to jump ahead of the Cards (a QB needy team that's one spot ahead of us) and then trade down with the Pats. We'd probably come out ahead if we pulled it off.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
that's a lot of trading in the space of a 10 minute window and we'd have to know the pats wanted to trade with us before we moved up
Yeah, it'd be hard to do and I really doubt it'd happen. But it'd be fun to watch.

Better possibility is just to hope like hell that Arizona isn't a fan of Jackson and go in a different direction.

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
Yeah, it'd be hard to do and I really doubt it'd happen. But it'd be fun to watch.

Better possibility is just to hope like hell that Arizona isn't a fan of Jackson and go in a different direction.
I think they may end up drafting Rudolph believe it or not. Could remind them of Palmer

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
Lmao this thread has turned into something it wasn't supposed to be.

Simba

Staff Member
I've finally gotten around to putting some guys in order, so here are my top 5 at each position:

QB:
Mayfield, Darnold, Rosen, Jackson, Rudolph

RB:
Barkley, Guice, Jones, Michel, Chubb

WR:
Ridley, Kirk, Moore, Sutton, Washington*
*if I ignore off-field, Callaway goes here

TE:
Hurst, Goedert, Gesicki, Thomas, Andrews

OT:
McGlinchey, Williams, Brown, Okorafor, Miller

OG:
Nelson, Wynn, Hernandez, Smith, Corbett

C:
Daniels, Price, Rankin, Ragnow, Cole

Edge:
Chubb, Landry, Davenport, Hubbard, Key

DT:
Payne, Vea, Hurst, Bryan, Shepherd

3-4 ILB/4-3 OLB:
Edmunds, Smith, Vander Esch, Evans, Warner

CB:
Ward, Alexander, Jackson, Oliver, Hughes

S:
James, Fitzpatrick, Reid, Bates, Allen

Some notes:
  • At QB, Allen is my #6
  • RB takes a drop after #4 where I feel a lot of guys blend together, but Chubb gets the spot
  • T is ugly after the top 2
  • G is ugly after the top 3
  • EDGE is also ugly after the top 3

Last edited:

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
I've finally gotten around to putting some guys in order, so here are my top 5 at each position:

• T is ugly after the top 2
  • G is ugly after the top 3
  • EDGE is also ugly after the top 3

It's quite mediocre class, to be honest. Apart from top 15-20 players, not much to write home about. Quarterbacks are the saving grace of it - at least 6 of them have an ability to be good NFL QBs.

Simba

Staff Member
It's quite mediocre class, to be honest. Apart from top 15-20 players, not much to write home about. Quarterbacks are the saving grace of it - at least 6 of them have an ability to be good NFL QBs.

Agreed. I think there's some talent to be had consistently up until early day 3. The problem is that guys going off the board on day 2 could just as easily go on day 3 and vice versa. A lot of players just blend together this year to me. There's top end talent, a small next tier, then a whole bunch of the same for a good portion of the draft.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Derwin Jackson??? isn't in your top 5 Safeties. Do you mean to place Jackson as your #1 safety. You have Ward listed as a safety.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

Agreed. I think there's some talent to be had consistently up until early day 3. The problem is that guys going off the board on day 2 could just as easily go on day 3 and vice versa. A lot of players just blend together this year to me. There's top end talent, a small next tier, then a whole bunch of the same for a good portion of the draft.

Totally agree, once you get past the top 20 (including QBs) it's basically depth. It's a great year to trade back and acquire additional day two picks, but it's not going to be that easy to trade back this year as many teams are thinking the same thing this year.

Simba

Staff Member
Derwin Jackson??? isn't in your top 5 Safeties. Do you mean to place Jackson as your #1 safety. You have Ward listed as a safety.

Derwin James, Derwin Ward, Derwin Jackson...

All the same person lol. Fixed it. Doubled up on Ward by accident.

UKRaven

Practice Squad
Say we go TE with our 1st rounder would you be happy with Hurst or Goedert at 16 (even though a slight reach)?

Or if not where trading back do people see them as good value. For me Hurst is 22 on the board so its only a slight reach but it looks like someone like Ridley or McGlinchy could be there at 16 so taking one of the TEs over them would be a no go! But if we did trade back how far do you think we could before they go off the board elsewhere?