• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Rossi's Draft Week Mock

rossihunter2

Staff Member
So I'm going to mock 3 full rounds - i'll give descriptions of trades and important picks where possible (but if i did it for all the picks this will be the longest post in existence...

ROUND 1

1: Cleveland Browns - Sam Darnold QB

The Browns take the safer guy of the 2 they were considering

2: New York Giants - Saquon Barkley RB

The Giants eschew the chance to take a QB and stubbornly think they are "close" so they take the best player on their board to take the pressure off Eli
3: New York Jets - Baker Mayfield QB
The Jets become the most relevant team in New York all of a sudden
4: Buffalo Bills (TRADE) - Josh Allen QB
The Bills give up picks 12, 22 and 53 to move up to 4 to take their QB and become relevant again
5: Denver Broncos - Quenton Nelson OG
The Broncos double down on Case Keenum (at least in the short term) and decide to take the BPA and much like the Giants kid themselves into being closer than they are
6: Arizona Cardinals (TRADE) - Josh Rosen QB
The Cardinals get the best passer in the draft but have to give up picks 15, 97 and a future 1st rounder - they trade with the colts because the Colts have an active desire to trade down which makes the price slightly cheaper than trading with the teams sitting at 7 through 10
7: Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Bradley Chubb EDGE
The Bucs need secondary help but Chubb is arguably the best player in the draft

8: Chicago Bears - Tremaine Edmunds LB

Nelson's gone and no WRs are high on their board - they go BPA and take an unbelievable talent (who's not even 20 yet)

9: San Francisco 49ers - Roquan Smith ILB

Foster's unpredictable situation contributes but the 49ers were probably going with either Smith or Edmunds anyway if either were available - Smith is so they pick him up

10: Oakland Raiders - Vita Vea DT

Gruden's dream selection of Smith gets plucked just before the Raiders pick so they continue refining Gruden's vision for this team and bring in a freak at the nose

11: Miami Dolphins - Da'Ron Payne DT

The Dolphins take Payne knowing that he was a better scheme fit than Vea anyway

12: Cleveland Browns (TRADE) - Marcus Davenport EDGE

Pick 1 of the Browns Bills Trade selections
13: Washington Redskins - Derwin James S
Washington can't believe James is available and they sprint the pick in

14: Green Bay Packers - Denzel Ward CB

Packers consider a number of positions and Davenport was their guy until the Browns took him - but Ward is a top 7 player on a lot of boards and despite his height disadvantage he'll have no problems playing on the outside at the pro level

15: Indianapolis Colts - Mike Mcglinchey OT

The Colts look at trading back further but the value isn't good enough to risk Andrew Luck's health - they take a bookend for their line in the hopes that they can finally protect their franchise QB

16: Cleveland Browns (TRADE) - Connor Williams OT

Cleveland gets terrified by the pickup of Mcglinchey by the Colts and can't let the only other 1st round graded tackle on their board get taken by the Chargers, Seahawks, Lions or Bengals - the Browns won't be making all their picks because they have too many so they use pick 53 as ammo to get from 22 to 16 and get a quick rookie in to help alleviate the loss of Joe Thomas to retirement - they don't even mind that they had to trade with a division opponent
17: Los Angeles Chargers - Minkah Fitzpatrick S
For a fleeting second the Chargers are disappointed that Payne and Vea are both gone as well as the top 2 tackles - then they realise that Fitzpatrick's still on the board and all else is forgotten - they should have picked up one of the top 2 safeties last year - they are lucky that they can pick up one of the top 2 safeties this year

18: Seattle Seahawks - Maurice Hurst DT

Seattle would have preferred grabbing an offensive tackle but they need help in both trenches and Maurice Hurst might be the best interior pass rusher in the group - he fills an immediate need at a high level

19: New Orleans Saints (TRADE) - Lamar Jackson QB

Sean Peyton has been lying (poorly) to the media - he loves this QB class and Lamar Jackson's in range - but the Saints can't afford to find out if the Bengals, Ravens and Pats hype around Jackson is true and Detroit won't trade with them because they've got 3 guys they like and they don't think they'll be around at 27 - the Saints give up picks 27, 91 and a 2019 3rd rounder to move up to 19
20: Detroit Lions - Harold Landry EDGE
The Lions turn down trade offers to take one of the top guys on their board who they think is close to a top 10 prospect

21: Cincinatti Bengals - Will Hernandez OG

The Bengals essentially turn what used to be the 12th pick of the draft into a complete new left side of their offensive line - Cordy Glenn in the initial trade back 10 spots and then an absolute mauler to place next to him

22: Baltimore Ravens (TRADE) - CALVIN RIDLEY WR

The Ravens trade in the division to pick up an extra day 2 pick knowing that they had plenty of guys they liked left on the board - Ridley was top of the board at 16 and he's lasted all the way to 22 - the best route runner in the class who can also take the top off the defence will immediately contribute as a number 2 and might occasionally find himself with snaps out of the slot but his route running will be his calling card and that combined with his nice ball tracking skills means the Ravens can't think of any other pick - plus he's a Bama boy and that only makes sense for Ozzie's last ever 1st round pick
23: New England Patriots - Isaiah Wynn OL
The Pats get their guy too - a technician who can play anywhere on the line for them and who will alleviate some of the loss of production from Nate Solder leaving in free agency
24: Carolina Panthers - DJ Moore WR
They've been high on him throughout the process including specifically taking over elements of his pro day - he becomes the 2nd successive year of offensive evolution for the Panthers - elusive runners rather than big bodies on the outside reign supreme in Carolina now
25: Tennessee Titans - James Daniels C
The Titans have starters at all 5 positions on the OL but all 3 of the interior spots require improvement - the center spot is manned by an underperforming player on a larger but not prohibitive contract and Daniels upgrades the position and could create cap savings if Jones is cut

26: Atlanta Falcons - Taven Bryan DT

Nowhere in the multiverse is this not the pick - the Falcons break time and space causing universes to converge and collide and existence to end

27: Dallas Cowboys (TRADE) - Courtland Sutton WR

The Cowboys moved down 8 spots in their trade but still manage to get their guy - he's not Dez but he's a huge receiver on the outside with incredible length and strength which Dak needs to help with his inaccurate passing - they won't replace Dez but he's the closest thing the Cowboys can get to him
28: Pittsburgh Steelers - Dallas Goedert TE
The Steelers add another weapon to their offence at the only offensive position where they don't think they have one of the best in the league
29: Jacksonville Jaguars - Jaire Alexander CB
Outside of QB this team is one of the top 3 most stacked teams in the league - they replace their departing nickel with one of the best CB prospects in the draft who will likely begin his career in the slot just to make the scariest secondary in the league even more frightening
30: Minnesota Vikings - Kolton Miller OT
The Vikings also have a stacked roster but need to upgrade their tackle spots - they like Miller but this would be considered a reach by some teams

31: New England Patriots - Rashaan Evans LB

The kind of player Bellichick loves - great motor and a guy who can play multiple linebacker roles for the Pats

32: Denver Broncos (TRADE) - Mason Rudolph QB

John Elway panics a bit and thinks the Giants will regret passing on a QB as much as he might so he makes sure he gets ahead of the Giants and grabs the 6th QB of the 1st round and the only one remaining that anyone could legitimately justify as a 1st rounder even though much of the league doesn't think of him that way - they give up the 40th and 71st picks to do it

ROUND 2

33: Browns - Joshua Jackson CB
34: Giants - Leighton Vander-Esch ILB
35: Browns - Derrius Guice RB
36: Colts - Sony Michel RB
37: Colts - Michael Gallup WR
38: Bucs - Isaiah Oliver CB
39: Bears - Frank Ragnow C
40: Eagles (TRADE) - Hayden Hurst TE
41: Raiders - Fred Warner ILB
42: Dolphins - Ronald Jones II RB
43: Pats - Mike Hughes CB
44: Redskins - Christian Kirk WR
45: Packers - Sam Hubbard EDGE
46: Bengals - Ronnie Harrison S
47: Cardinals - DJ Chark WR
48: Chargers - Harrison Phillips DT
49: Colts - Arden Key EDGE
50: Cowboys - Justin Reid S
51: Lions - Mike Gesicki TE
52: RAVENS - BILLY PRICE C

The first of 2 consecutive picks in the 2nd round yield an interior offensive line replacement who slips due to the injury sustained at the combine but who is not expected to even miss much of training camp (if any of it at all) - The Ravens had been hoping that Mike Gesicki would fall one spot further but ultimately have enough players they like available that they didn't feel the need to trade up and the loss of Gesicki one pick before is negated slightly by the knowledge that the next pick is...
53: RAVENS (TRADE) - IAN THOMAS TE
The next guy available left on their board while not as highly graded as Gesicki is still a player they are happy to take - maybe the highest ceiling as far as the move tight ends go and a weapon down the seam that the Ravens have been missing - analysts might consider this a reach but it's anything but
54: Chiefs - Carlton Davis CB
55: Panthers - Tim Settle DT
56: Bills - James Washington WR
57: Titans - Lorenzo Carter EDGE
58: Falcons - Daesean Hamilton WR
59: 49ers - Orlando Brown OT
60: Steelers - Donte Jackson CB
61: Jags - Braden Smith OG
62: Vikings - Deon Cain WR
63: Pats - Luke Falk QB
64: Browns - Anthony Averett CB

ROUND 3

65: Bills - Tyrell Crosby OL
66: Giants - Kyle Lauletta QB
67: Colts - Nathan Shepherd DT
68: Texans - Brian O'Neill OT
69: Giants - Austin Corbett OG
70: 49ers - Mark Andrews TE
71: Eagles (TRADE) - Jamarco Jones OT
72: Jets - Equanimeous St Brown WR
73: Dolphins - Kemeko Turay EDGE
74: 49ers - Nick Chubb RB
75: Raiders - Rasheem Green EDGE
76: Packers - Kerryon Johnson RB
77: Bengals - Darius Leonard ILB
78: Chiefs - Martinas Rankin OL
79: Cardinals - Armani Watts S
80: Texans - Jaylen Samuels H-Back/TE/FB
81: Cowboys - Uchenna Nwosu LB
82: Lions - Duke Dawson CB
83: RAVENS - ANTHONY MILLER WR

Dreams somehow do come true - the Ravens end up with the 2 best route runners in the entire class as Miller falls due to medical uncertainties and his lack of size - the Ravens see a guy who reminds them of Steve Smith and don't hesitate
84: Chargers - Mike White QB
85: Panthers - Chukwuma Okorafor OT
86: Chiefs - Jessie Bates III S
87: Rams - Dorance Armstrong Jr EDGE
88: Panthers - Chad Thomas EDGE
89: Titans - PJ Hall DT
90: Falcons - Ogbonnia Okoronkwo EDGE
91: Cowboys (TRADE) - Isaac Yiadom CB
92: Steelers - Genard Avery ILB
93: Jags - Malik Jefferson ILB
94: Vikings - Tarvarius Moore S
95: Pats - Cedrick Wilson WR
96: Bills - MJ Stewart CB
97: Colts (TRADE) - Dante Pettis WR
98: Texans - Rashaad Penny RB
99: Broncos - John Kelly RB
100: Bengals - Auden Tate WR

ROUND 4 Pick 118: RAVENS - TONY ADAMS OG
The Ravens continue to add bodies to their OL room and Tony Adams is an intriguing but slightly short prospect but who could definitely find work early as a starter - he adds depth to the OL room certainly at the interior spot

ROUND 5 Pick 154: RAVENS - RILEY FERGUSON QB

Earlier than he'll probably go on the night but personally this would be a dream pickup and absolutely value at this spot - the Ravens bring a QB into the room to challenge for the backup spot with RGIII - he also adds value through training camp at least where he'll reunite with his favourite college target Anthony Miller

ROUND 6 Pick 190: RAVENS - OREN BURKS ILB

215: RAVENS - KEVIN TOLLIVER CB

ROUND 7 Pick 238: RAVENS - RJ MCINTOSH DL

The last 3 picks are all upside-based developmental guys with traits that might transition and some potential on special teams too - all 3 are very raw

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
It’s so rare to draft in the same division though. But I can’t Complain.

I would probably stay away from this board and probably the internet in all if this happened. I'd be too happy to let rayray or Sami try and ruin it lol

I definitely don't see how Baker makes the Jets more relevant than the Giants tho. Drafting Barkley is absolutely the right thing to do imo. Just like Dez said all that firepower, wow. They do need an OL still but the Jets need alot more.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
This is almost a perfect draft... With one major problem... I'm not a fan of not getting a RT... Hurst starting there is going to ruin our season if that happen.

You do not need a stud TE. I'd sacrifice Ian Thomas for Tyrell Crosby and then maybe instead of Adams(whom I am a fan of) draft a Herndon there or Jordan Akins

rossihunter2

Staff Member
This is almost a perfect draft... With one major problem... I'm not a fan of not getting a RT... Hurst starting there is going to ruin our season if that happen.

You do not need a stud TE. I'd sacrifice Ian Thomas for Tyrell Crosby and then maybe instead of Adams(whom I am a fan of) draft a Herndon there or Jordan Akins

i guess i was just riding the talent and a right tackle was never the BPA - i might have had the Ravens stick at 16 if mcglinchey had made to 16 but unless you're in love with orlando brown i dont see the value at any of the spots for right tackle... maybe okorafor in stead of miller but tbh i have miller miles higher on the board

and if this was the outcome i think you'd find alex lewis in the conversation at right tackle again - right tackle would be an open competition but these moves would solidify the interior with depth - we'd be set at left tackle, right guard and would have 3-4 guys who all might be able to start who are competing for the LG and Centre spots - that leaves hurst and lewis as the likely guys to compete for right tackle and that's not the worst position in the world to only be worried about 1/5 of the OL spots especially when you likely have a lot of confidence in your 6th OL and blocking TEs

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
i guess i was just riding the talent and a right tackle was never the BPA - i might have had the Ravens stick at 16 if mcglinchey had made to 16 but unless you're in love with orlando brown i dont see the value at any of the spots for right tackle... maybe okorafor in stead of miller but tbh i have miller miles higher on the board

and if this was the outcome i think you'd find alex lewis in the conversation at right tackle again - right tackle would be an open competition but these moves would solidify the interior with depth - we'd be set at left tackle, right guard and would have 3-4 guys who all might be able to start who are competing for the LG and Centre spots - that leaves hurst and lewis as the likely guys to compete for right tackle and that's not the worst position in the world to only be worried about 1/5 of the OL spots especially when you likely have a lot of confidence in your 6th OL and blocking TEs
I don't want a player who is a guarenteed liability in the starting lineup. Hurst ALWAYS get dogwalked. I'd much rather draft a RT than a center and Crosby would be worth the pick over Thomas imo. Hell, we are the only team in the entire NFL I think who could pull off Orlando Brown and make him work.

I'm a big fan of every pick fwiw though. But a guy like Hurst whenever he plays T is bad enough to singlehandedly ruin it for us. He's never ever played a full good game at left or right tackle and honestly... Our season has the chance to be a total lost cause if he's there.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I don't want a player who is a guarenteed liability in the starting lineup. Hurst ALWAYS get dogwalked. I'd much rather draft a RT than a center and Crosby would be worth the pick over Thomas imo. Hell, we are the only team in the entire NFL I think who could pull off Orlando Brown and make him work.

I'm a big fan of every pick fwiw though. But a guy like Hurst whenever he plays T is bad enough to singlehandedly ruin it for us. He's never ever played a full good game at left or right tackle and honestly... Our season has the chance to be a total lost cause if he's there.

i guess i just dont see hurst that way

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

i too am not big on Ian Thomas in the third and Akins in the 4th or 5th is a dream pickup for me.

Otherwise, not unrealistic and a fucking beautiful draft.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
i too am not big on Ian Thomas in the third and Akins in the 4th or 5th is a dream pickup for me.

Otherwise, not unrealistic and a fucking beautiful draft.

interesting that both of you arent such big fans of thomas...

in terms of realism - i wanted to mock each pick 1 at a time based off my board and my own assessment of needs and by compiling the whole 3 rounds i felt like any pick the ravens made would have to be at least vaguely possible - until i get my board sorted i often just mock the 1st round and then just take the next 15-20 players off the board to get the right range for a pick but i really wanted a basis in realism - and it just happened that the draft rolled out fairly nicely given the way my board is set up

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
Oh man Gesicki one pick before us would piss me off so much.

Id be happy with our picks though.

But no way Hamilton goes in the 2nd...he just doesn't have a good ceiling. He's the equivalent of Tony Adams at the G position. Good player, good floor, but they don't have the ceilings to go higher up like they could if they were taller or faster/quicker respectively.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Oh man Gesicki one pick before us would piss me off so much.

Id be happy with our picks though.

But no way Hamilton goes in the 2nd...he just doesn't have a good ceiling. He's the equivalent of Tony Adams at the G position. Good player, good floor, but they don't have the ceilings to go higher up like they could if they were taller or faster/quicker respectively.

i dont see that at all in terms of his ceiling - i think his ceiling is pretty high and he's being drafted by the falcons specifically because of the type of receiver he is - on that team they would now set up with julio, sanu and then daesean who's like taylor gabriel+ in terms of his potential - he runs the slot fade as well as anyone and has the short area burst and general route running to make mincemeat of the 3rd corner on a team as a rookie - i pause only because its not shanahan running that offence - but its still the same gm making the picks

allblackraven

Hall of Famer

What gives you an impression that any of the O linemen from this draft wouldn't be a liability as much as Hurst, if not more of it? Couple decent guys will go before #16, due to lack of quality tackles in this terrible class. Others, if we get them, will need a lot of work to get a starting pro job.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
What gives you an impression that any of the O linemen from this draft wouldn't be a liability as much as Hurst, if not more of it? Couple decent guys will go before #16, due to lack of quality tackles in this terrible class. Others, if we get them, will need a lot of work to get a starting pro job.
He specifically said Crosby. I believe Crosby wins the RT spot if we were to draft him.

Simba

Staff Member
My issue is in the trades here... why would Cleveland give up a 2nd to move up 6 spots? That's highway robbery for us. No, they wouldn't need to use them all if they traded back, but they aren't just going to give them away either.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
He specifically said Crosby. I believe Crosby wins the RT spot if we were to draft him.
I don't think he would. I see him as a holding penalty machine in the NFL if he's trusted with the job too early.

I mean unless he's drafted by Steelers or NE.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
My issue is in the trades here... why would Cleveland give up a 2nd to move up 6 spots? That's highway robbery for us. No, they wouldn't need to use them all if they traded back, but they aren't just going to give them away either.

the trades arent that ridiculous - i could see maybe a 2 way where we go back 6 spots in round 1 but go up from 52 to 33 or something with our 2nd rounder...

it takes a lot to move up a few spots and if you really want a player it costs more

maybe the 64th pick in stead of the 53rd from cleveland could be more appropriate... i dont think it's that far off though

and say it is the 64th pick - it's perfectly reasonable for us to get ian thomas there too...

is it just the ravens trade that seems unreasonable to you or are there others you dont think are well valued?

Simba

Staff Member
the trades arent that ridiculous - i could see maybe a 2 way where we go back 6 spots in round 1 but go up from 52 to 33 or something with our 2nd rounder...

it takes a lot to move up a few spots and if you really want a player it costs more

maybe the 64th pick in stead of the 53rd from cleveland could be more appropriate... i dont think it's that far off though

and say it is the 64th pick - it's perfectly reasonable for us to get ian thomas there too...

is it just the ravens trade that seems unreasonable to you or are there others you dont think are well valued?

It should just be the singular trade, but I messed up, so the only issue is with the Ravens.

I know that draft trade chart isn't the end all be all, but even if you swapped 16 for 22 and 64, the Ravens would be getting an extra mid 4th rounder of value in return, basically. And that's especially off the mark for me because I think it's quite obvious the Ravens would like to move back, as well as many other teams in that area. That and I don't think any of those teams outside of maybe Cincinnati will be a serious suitor for Williams.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
It should just be the singular trade, but I messed up, so the only issue is with the Ravens.

I know that draft trade chart isn't the end all be all, but even if you swapped 16 for 22 and 64, the Ravens would be getting an extra mid 4th rounder of value in return, basically. And that's especially off the mark for me because I think it's quite obvious the Ravens would like to move back, as well as many other teams in that area. That and I don't think any of those teams outside of maybe Cincinnati will be a serious suitor for Williams.

i dunno - i was looking at it and was fairly certain the seahawks at least would strongly be in play for williams and the bengals probably too - but the chargers could also do with tackle help

and i was trying to use a slightly new trade chart model - you're right the value missing is still a 4th but in the 1st round every trade has inflation on it in some sense i guess was my justification - and its not like the trade offer was completely out of form - the saints gave up a 3 and a future 3 to go up to 19 in this scenario (and tbh they probably would have paid more IRL given that it was for a qb)

but yeah i guess my rationale was the browns had the ammo and i figured they wouldnt want to miss out on one of the top 2 tackles when they dont need to so i guess they'd be fairly desperate to draft in that spot - probably in the back of my mind was the fact that maybe the browns might consider the ravens also might take a tackle (even if it isnt mcglinchey)