• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Dropping in for your opinion

Ramhusker

Practice Squad
I'm dropping in to get y'all's opinion on a Ravens mock draft. I'm a Rams fan and a site I frequent (Ramsondemand) did a mock draft. I drew the Ravens to draft. The following is the results for the Ravens:

1. Courtland Sutton, WR, Southern Methodist
2. Mark Andrews, TE, Oklahoma
3. Uchenna Nwosu, OLB, USC
4. Mason Cole, C/G, Michigan
5. Tegray Scales, ILB, Indiana
6. Brett Toth, OT, Army
6. Logan Woodside, QB, Toledo
7. Troy Apke, SS/FS, Penn St.

How did I do for you guys? Did I meet your major needs? Anybody you love or hate in this draft? Good luck this draft and this season!

rossihunter2

Staff Member
that's ok - the first 3 guys are all probably slight reaches but not enormous

• sutton is probably a bit to raw for the 16th pick but receiver is definitely a need
  • personally i also think that's a bit early for andrews but you could argue that might be the range he goes in
  • Nwosu i really like - not sure whether he'll be the best player available in the 3rd round but he's a nice value player in that sort of range
  • mason cole is another nice mid-late round addition there - id prefer it if he was taken a round later but i wouldnt hate it
  • tegray scales is a great value pickup in the 5th
  • i dont know much abaout brett toth at all
  • logan woodside i think should probably go undrafted but once you get to the end of that 6th/7th round its essentially just picking up priority free agents anyway
that draft is fine - id probably be disappointed it if that's how the ravens draft turned out in the real thing but i wouldnt necessarily hate it right out of hand - certainly those first 2 picks i think probably should be different but rounds 3-7 are pretty good

thanks for posting though - you can get buried in the nuances of your own team so its nice to see some outside thoughts on our draft

Simba

Staff Member
I'll be honest - I'm not a fan.

Wouldn't hate having Sutton but certainly not interested in him at 16
I'm not an Andrews fan at all so that's an automatic hit for me, but I know others like him
I like Nwosu but I wouldn't invest another high pick into someone that has questions
Cole and Scales are the picks I like the most
I like Toth as a player but he has a 2 year military commitment he's honoring, so he doesn't help us now
I'm fine with Woodside in the 6th
I don't think Apke is anymore than a workout warrior so he's undraftable to me, but that's being picky in the 7th

jboy19

Pro Bowler
I'm dropping in to get y'all's opinion on a Ravens mock draft. I'm a Rams fan and a site I frequent (Ramsondemand) did a mock draft. I drew the Ravens to draft. The following is the results for the Ravens:

6. Brett Toth, OT, Army

How did I do for you guys? Did I meet your major needs? Anybody you love or hate in this draft? Good luck this draft and this season!

I think you definitely hit the team's needs spot on and I could certainly see the draft fall somewhat along these lines. If you were shooting for accuracy, my initial thoughts are that this seems to be a pretty Ravens-ish draft, so good job on that front.

I'm probably higher than most around here on Sutton, and I'm a firm believer that he could end up as the best receiver in the draft (though that could say more about the receiver class than him personally). He has the athletic profile of an all-pro WR, but needs development and since the fans (and possibly the FO) are still likely to hiss and hide under a rock when the thought of Breshad Perriman comes up, it certainly wouldn't be popular- even though Sutton has shown much better hands than Perriman did in his college career.

Andrews is a question mark for me. I think he's well-rounded, but doesn't do any specific thing better than any of the other TEs in the class. I'd hace preferred one of the top 3 (Gesicki, Goedert, or Hurst), but Im not sure what your board was looking like at the time. If it were me, I'd have sat and gone for an Ian Thomas, Tyler Conklin or Christopher Herndon in the mid-rounds.

Nwosu is a guy I don't know a ton about, but even with Timmy Williams and Tyus Bowser, I wouldn't be surprised if the FO took a pass rusher they really liked early, but aside from an unforeseen fall of a guy like Davenport or Landry, I'm not so sure. I see it.

I think you nailed Mason Cole. Aside from the Harbaugh-Harbaugh connection, depth at all 3 interior line spots is never a bad move as a midround pick. Lord knows what Skura is bringing at C. The team may (unreasonably imo) feel comfortable with Yanda, Skura, Lewis, Siragusa and Eluemunor inside, but there aren't any guys to foreseeably compete with Skura at C, so this pick makes a lot of sense to me.

Scales would be a weird pick to me and would be a somewhat of a shift in the Ravens LB draft tendencies. The team seems more interested in coverage LBs than traditional "thumpers" where I (albeit with my limited knowledge) have Scales placed. The team did play a college safety as their WLB last season. I guess with Martindale taking over, anything is possible.

Aside from the DOD rescinding the deferment for service academy grads, Toth seems unlikely to be targeted by the Ravens. The Ravens have seemed to place an emphasis on drafting linemen who weigh about 30 pounds more than Toth and I expect that trend to continue while Roman and D'Alessandris are running the show.

I expect the Ravens to take a QB early if at all. Im not sure there is a late round option that they'd consider an upgrade over RG3 or Woodrum, both of whom they seem high on. Few teams make designated QBotF picks after round 2 in my perception. I dont know much about Woodside and he might be great, but a late round QB pick would surprise me.

I literally only know who Apke is from his 40 Time, but I'm sure the team will take at least one safety, if only for ST purposes, at some point. Could it be Apke? Idk. I guess it wouldn't surprise me.

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
Tbh your not going to find many people who will be a fan of Sutton at 16 on this board. I think you hit on areas of need im just not the biggest fan of Sutton and Andrews.

Who was on the board when you picked Sutton just curious?????

JO_75

Hall of Famer

6. Brett Toth, OT, Army

Not too much of a fan of this draft, but again I like to know who was on the board when you made the selection. Also check out our forum game here and see if your happy with whoever had the Rams. Our game is a full offseason including trades, free agency and the draft. Hope you stick around on this forum as it would be awesome to have more fans from other teams here.

I think the Rams gm never showed up in our game but regarding the draft, it's alright. Much like everyone else has said.. the value isn't really there in the early picks but overall decent mock

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
The good thing is you understood our needs very well. Some depth on the IOL and an upgrade at ILB in the later rounds is a great thing.

I personally like Andrews and he fits nicely with what we have in place in our new recieving corps. Sutton I don't hate but Ravens fans cringe at the idea of taking a raw WR (hi Breshad Perriman). Nwosu, meh. Don't hate the player, just don't see where to put him knowing we have Bowser and Williams ready to make an impact behind Suggs and Judon.

Honestly it's a good draft all around. Maybe the first few picks will rub some the wrong way but I wouldn't be shocked if some of those guys end up on our team.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
in general it doesnt seem we are big fans of sutton here, he gets almost no mention as our first rounder on these boards. i personally dont like him for us, no more raw upside guys, we cant develop them for shit. i used to be a huge mark andrews fan but have soured a bit, i wouldnt HATE that pick but in the end the remaining players on the board would determine how i feel about it. the rest of the draft though is damn good, you know what our needs are for sure lol, and nwosu is a sleeper for us, his pursuit and instinctive playmaking are top shelf, i have no doubts we could make something out of a guy like him.

was ridley available in this scenario?