• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

How We Use Jackson in Year One

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
I have been considering the prospect of a two back set .This is to say a backfield with two quarterbacks; both Flacco and Jackson.

This in some measure sets Jackson up as a running back, "type', as he could receive the ball from Flacco out of a shotgun formation or he could receive the snap directly, at which point he may drop back (or boot)and pass or look for a crease on a designed run.

Just having Flacco stick the ball in Jacksons belly will create a play action opportunity and suck up linebackers,(potentially).

Also a direct snap to either quarterback could send the other out wide setting up a screen. Now, teams are far more inclined to honor Jackson out wide than they are Flacco....in fact, they could be in deep trouble if they don't commit a body to cover him but if no-one covers Joe, you throw him the ball so that next time they have to cover him.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
He's a first round goddam pick... He better start the season as qb 1 clip board carrier. For real. Keep him the fuck off the field.

NYSE5

Practice Squad
He's a first round goddam pick... He better start the season as qb 1 clip board carrier. For real. Keep him the fuck off the field.
People act as though they never witnessed a draft before, this is a draft like any other. Every team is high on their draft choices, Jackson is a project and hopefully he works out well, time will tell.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
People act as though they never witnessed a draft before, this is a draft like any other. Every team is high on their draft choices, Jackson is a project and hopefully he works out well, time will tell.
Pretty widely reported that he will be part of certain packages.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Jackson only gets major playing time in garbage time when we've already won the game, or if we've got a playoff spot locked up.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I have been considering the prospect of a two back set .This is to say a backfield with two quarterbacks; both Flacco and Jackson.

This in some measure sets Jackson up as a running back, "type', as he could receive the ball from Flacco out of a shotgun formation or he could receive the snap directly, at which point he may drop back (or boot)and pass or look for a crease on a designed run.

Just having Flacco stick the ball in Jacksons belly will create a play action opportunity and suck up linebackers,(potentially).

Also a direct snap to either quarterback could send the other out wide setting up a screen. Now, teams are far more inclined to honor Jackson out wide than they are Flacco....in fact, they could be in deep trouble if they don't commit a body to cover him but if no-one covers Joe, you throw him the ball so that next time they have to cover him.

Erm no thanks - I don’t want Jackson as a designated runner on the field because even if hes not getting the ball linebackers are gonna try and light him up

It’s an interesting dilemma but maybe we introduce him in the redzone with some RPO or even wildcat stuff but 2 qbs on the field for anything other than a one time trick play is asking for trouble

My hope is we see Jackson play qb at the end of games we’ve already put to bed, at the end of the season when we’re already (hopefully) in the playoffs or (hopefully not) out of contention already, and if we struggle in the redzone then maybe have Jackson come in there with some specific packages

Outside of a flacco injury I don’t wanna see him really hit the field outside of those situations because I don’t want us to risk the health of our potential next franchise qb

Yuleofellalum

Practice Squad
The problem is, once Lamar gets on the field, there will be tremendous pressure to keep him there. I do not see Ravens fans or coaches being able to have just a little bit of Jackson. Just like the “ you can’t eat just one potato chip- I don’t think you will be able to keep LJ on the bench after he gets in the game.

Lamar is going to make his critics look stupid, you can bank on that. He will make some bone headed plays where he just tries to do too much, but the sheer fun of knowing 3rd and 20 is now a manageable down will override that.

Erm no thanks - I don’t want Jackson as a designated runner on the field because even if hes not getting the ball linebackers are gonna try and light him up

It’s an interesting dilemma but maybe we introduce him in the redzone with some RPO or even wildcat stuff but 2 qbs on the field for anything other than a one time trick play is asking for trouble

My hope is we see Jackson play qb at the end of games we’ve already put to bed, at the end of the season when we’re already (hopefully) in the playoffs or (hopefully not) out of contention already, and if we struggle in the redzone then maybe have Jackson come in there with some specific packages

Outside of a flacco injury I don’t wanna see him really hit the field outside of those situations because I don’t want us to risk the health of our potential next franchise qb

rossihunter2

Staff Member
The problem is, once Lamar gets on the field, there will be tremendous pressure to keep him there. I do not see Ravens fans or coaches being able to have just a little bit of Jackson. Just like the “ you can’t eat just one potato chip- I don’t think you will be able to keep LJ on the bench after he gets in the game.

Lamar is going to make his critics look stupid, you can bank on that. He will make some bone headed plays where he just tries to do too much, but the sheer fun of knowing 3rd and 20 is now a manageable down will override that.

well its a good things fans dont run the franchise then - if lamar looks good in limited snaps of course fans will clamour for more - but if we hold him off he can stack good plays and good situations and build confidence and an understanding of the offence while both participating in it and also effectively redshirting

unless flacco shits the bed there's no need for jackson to be on the field more often and longer than a few manageable situations

think of how good a position patrick mahomes is in now with a similar attitude to the one i hope we have - he's got the fanbase hyped, he had a great game in a manageable situation with low stakes and he thrived - and that patience and confidence will build as he's now been given new weapons to facilitate his continued success - he's much better set up than if he'd played through the playoffs and lost as a starter

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
It will be really interesting to see what happens if Flacco plays terrible; will we ride him out to the bitter end or will we be tempted to throw Jackson in there? I feel like it would benefit us more to just let Flacco continue to play like garbage, if this happens, and get a higher draft pick. Jackson would still be able to work on his mechanics behind the scenes, we would be able to cut Flacco after the season without any controversy, and we would be able to use a high draft pick on, hopefully, another play-maker for Jackson when he takes over the team.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
It will be really interesting to see what happens if Flacco plays terrible; will we ride him out to the bitter end or will we be tempted to throw Jackson in there? I feel like it would benefit us more to just let Flacco continue to play like garbage, if this happens, and get a higher draft pick. Jackson would still be able to work on his mechanics behind the scenes, we would be able to cut Flacco after the season without any controversy, and we would be able to use a high draft pick on, hopefully, another play-maker for Jackson when he takes over the team.

i guess it depends how early in the season it happens - if it happens really early i think we'll probably be patient as long as we are around .500 but if we start awfully then maybe he gets in early and we dont look back

alternatively we stay in the race until late in the season and then jackson gets tossed in - maybe after week 9 when we have the bye week 10...

even if the season does go to pot there's not much reason to just roll with flacco if its not going well - we might as well get jackson on the field with no pressure in a great learning situation - the best place to learn is on the field and if the stakes are non-existent then it only helps the ravens long term to give jackson game time in competitive situations - i dont think you'll find the 49ers disappointed that jimmy g lost them a top 5 pick because they got him game time in their system and worked out what they had at qb that bit quicker...

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
i guess it depends how early in the season it happens - if it happens really early i think we'll probably be patient as long as we are around .500 but if we start awfully then maybe he gets in early and we dont look back

alternatively we stay in the race until late in the season and then jackson gets tossed in - maybe after week 9 when we have the bye week 10...

even if the season does go to pot there's not much reason to just roll with flacco if its not going well - we might as well get jackson on the field with no pressure in a great learning situation - the best place to learn is on the field and if the stakes are non-existent then it only helps the ravens long term to give jackson game time in competitive situations - i dont think you'll find the 49ers disappointed that jimmy g lost them a top 5 pick because they got him game time in their system and worked out what they had at qb that bit quicker...

My main concern would be seeing Jackson get hurt in a pointless game. I get what you're saying about the Niners and Jimmy G, however, Jackson plays the QB position in a more dangerous way. If he can control himself and pull back from scrambling then I'd be okay with seeing him take over mid-season.

I find it very very unlikely the team would ever stsrt Lamar this season.. Even with some poor Flacco play. It would really translate into publicly admitting he's no more at that level and he'd consequently lose trading value.
I'd love to see our newest weapon play in some 3rd down situation or so, like some others here say, tho

rossihunter2

Staff Member
My main concern would be seeing Jackson get hurt in a pointless game. I get what you're saying about the Niners and Jimmy G, however, Jackson plays the QB position in a more dangerous way. If he can control himself and pull back from scrambling then I'd be okay with seeing him take over mid-season.

this of course is the worst case scenario anyway for what its worth...
this only becomes an option if the ravens suck and flacco sucks and the season is lost by fairly early on

NYSE5

Practice Squad

Apparently you have Jackson already earmarked as a future Pro Bowler and Hall of Famer. You could fill an encyclopedia with the list of draft choices in NFL history who were hyped and never made it. Professional scouts and NFL executives know this. Calm down and let things take their course. Certainly the team hopes he makes it but don't set yourself up for disappointment.

Tru11

Practice Squad
i really hope we just let the kid work on becomming a quality NFL QB rather then fill his head with gimmick crap.

unless flacco sucks or get injured he should not see the field this season.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
People are alrady acting like lamar is aaron rodgers but with a 4.3 speed. Fk around and he end up being a jamrcus russell lmao

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
People are alrady acting like lamar is aaron rodgers but with a 4.3 speed. Fk around and he end up being a jamrcus russell lmao
Will never be Jamarcus Russell. He wasn’t picked 1st with a 50m salary or whatever he got.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
i really hope we just let the kid work on becomming a quality NFL QB rather then fill his head with gimmick crap.

unless flacco sucks or get injured he should not see the field this season.

i agree with the first sentiment - but there are certainly situations where he could and should get snaps if they come to pass (be they week 17 starts or coming in at the end of a game in garbage time etc.) but certainly as much as it would be exciting to get him on the field i dont really want to overload him with trick plays and packages that he'll never run when he actually takes over the offence - let him learn how to play Ravens QB, let him learn the playbook, let him work on his pocket footwork etc. and let him focus on those things and have them become 2nd nature for him rather than getting him to run trick plays or whatever

that being said if we slowly install packages for him that will eventually be part of the offence and we decide to run them occasionally then im cool with that because that's a natural part of his progression anyway