• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Also they were not tearing up the league in 2018. That was his rookie year and it was just kind of close narrow wins. Tearing up the league was the year after and that loss was to the Titans. Even that though you can kinda ignore because the team was suddenly ahead of schedule which triggered an increase in expectations.
once Lamar came in we beat the Bengals 24-21, Raiders 34-17, Falcons 26-16, lost to the Chiefs in a nail biter 27-24, beat bucs 20-12, Chargers 22-10, Browns 26-24, lost to the Chargers 23-17.

There were a couple close wins, but I think you are remembering incorrectly.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
once Lamar came in we beat the Bengals 24-21, Raiders 34-17, Falcons 26-16, lost to the Chiefs in a nail biter 27-24, beat bucs 20-12, Chargers 22-10, Browns 26-24, lost to the Chargers 23-17.

There were a couple close wins, but I think you are remembering incorrectly.
They were all close until in some of them the Ravens pulled away in the 4th (which is a very good thing but a close game for 3 quarters is a game I would call close). For example the Raiders game was 20-17 before the Ravens added 14 in the 4th. The Falcons game was 16-10 going into the 4th before the Ravens won the quarter. Even the Chargers game was 16-10 going into the 4th. Basically they were all 1 score games going into the 4th which I would consider close.

I give a tremendous amount of credit for being able to win the 4th and put those games away but they were all close games going into and I stand by my premise that if a game is close for 3 quarters then it is an overall close game.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
They were all close until in some of them the Ravens pulled away in the 4th (which is a very good thing but a close game for 3 quarters is a game I would call close). For example the Raiders game was 20-17 before the Ravens added 14 in the 4th. The Falcons game was 16-10 going into the 4th before the Ravens won the quarter. Even the Chargers game was 16-10 going into the 4th. Basically they were all 1 score games going into the 4th which I would consider close.

I give a tremendous amount of credit for being able to win the 4th and put those games away but they were all close games going into and I stand by my premise that if a game is close for 3 quarters then it is an overall close game.
technically a game is 4 quarters so i wouldn't take that away from them to prove your point.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
technically a game is 4 quarters so i wouldn't take that away from them to prove your point.
I mean every other sport does. In the NBA we don’t call a game a blowout when you are up 3 with 2 minutes left but end up winning by 12. Conversely it will be called a blowout when you are up 30 going into the 4th and win by 12.

The same is true of hockey, and soccer, and MLB. So why is it crazy to call a game that is close through the first 80% of it close in the NFL?

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I mean every other sport does. In the NBA we don’t call a game a blowout when you are up 3 with 2 minutes left but end up winning by 12. Conversely it will be called a blowout when you are up 30 going into the 4th and win by 12.

The same is true of hockey, and soccer, and MLB. So why is it crazy to call a game that is close through the first 80% of it close in the NFL?
well we were well ahead of the bengals until they scored 14 points in the 3rd quarter but it doesn't matter because it doesn't fit your

narrative

a win is a win regardless and sometimes the close games are even more impressive, especially a rookie.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
well we were well ahead of the bengals until they scored 14 points in the 3rd quarter but it doesn't matter because it doesn't fit your

narrative

a win is a win regardless and sometimes the close games are even more impressive, especially a rookie.
My "narrative" is that the Ravens were playing a bunch of close games and managed to win most of them in Lamar's "rookie" year and were blowing people off the field in his MVP year, which was his first full starting season with reps as the starter all through the offseason.

I did not mention the Bengals game because it being close seemed like it was not in doubt. The game was 7-0 Ravens after 1 quarter. 13-7 Ravens at halftime, and that was off the Bengals getting a TD to tie it and then the Ravens getting back to back FGs. Then Bengals scored back to back TDs to take a 21-13 lead (still close) before the Ravens got a TD+2 to tie it up at the end of the 3rd at 21. Ravens got a FG in the 4th to make it 24-21. There was not a single point in that entire game where it was not within 1 score so I struggle to see how it would not be considered a close game by any definition.

I am just a little confused here because that was the only Bengals game of that year where Lamar was QB.