• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Defensive formations you want to see next year

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
Hey y'all, final exams in the books so I can dedicate more time to this forum and to my team. So after this draft all we can say is that we're loaded on defense with both quality and versatility. The question I ask now is what you want to see us do with all of that? Personally I'd like to see a 3-LB set with Mosley/Correa/Bowser behind a Wormley/Urban/Kaufusi 3man front and Jimmy/Humphrey/Tavon as the CB with Weddle roaming the miidle and Jefferson playing close to the line of scrimmage:

Jimmy______Kaufusi___Urban___ Wormley______Jefferson___Tavon____Humphrey
Bowser_____Mosley____Correa

Weddle​

Or a Rush package like this:
Jimmy--------Suggs---Wormley---Henry------Williams-----Jefferson---Carr
Bowser----------Mosley----------Correa
Weddle​

Have fun and show some creativity!

Last edited:

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
Man with the personel we got there are just so many options but a good rush package out of the big nickel that I'd like to see against teams like the Pats and Steelers.

Suggs..........Kaufusi/Urban...........Wormley/Henry...........Williams/Judon
Bowser....................Mosley........................Jefferson
Jimmy ............................................................................Humphrey/Carr

Weddle...............Webb

Basically I'd be saying the front 4 is coming but if I was zone blitzing I'd choose to drop back an interior guy than an edge guy. Bowser or Jefferson or both can either cover backs or TE's or blitz and with Mosley zoning or blitzing( don't like him in man coverage). Tavon could be substituted for Webb to cover a slot guy or blitz off the edge but if Webb is in Weddle would be a great zone blitzer or could be used for coverage while Webb would patrol centerfield. BWill or Pierce could also be used in the interior.

Sorry I wanted to leave my alinement in the middle of the screen but I guess I don't know how to do it but my CBs are supposed to be lined up on each side of the defense.

Last edited:

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
Formations that play to strengths. If we run a 4-3 I like Bronson. In a 3-4 he isn't stout enough to keep linebackers clean. In the 4-3 he has an intriguing blend of size and athleticism that gives him a chance to excel. I hear he looks leaner and good this year which means quicker

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Formations that play to strengths. If we run a 4-3 I like Bronson. In a 3-4 he isn't stout enough to keep linebackers clean. In the 4-3 he has an intriguing blend of size and athleticism that gives him a chance to excel. I hear he looks leaner and good this year which means quicker
It's rare to find any team as strictly 3-4 or 4-3 and there are so many variations It almost doesn't matter anymore. Even as a base 3-4 team we were running closer to a 4-3 front over 60% of the time.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I like a good pass rushing 5T in a 34 though. Not there to keep linebackers clean but to pin his ears back and get after the qb with the linebacker. If BK is who he looked like in college then I love the idea of him at 5T with Tim Williams at the 7/9. That's a real handful of speed rush for the RT and it will need a TE to stay in line and the back has to stay in pass pro.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
It's rare to find any team as strictly 3-4 or 4-3 and there are so many variations It almost doesn't matter anymore. Even as a base 3-4 team we were running closer to a 4-3 front over 60% of the time.

I believe the op is looking for certain packages and the personel in them in what you want to see but yeah with the 4-3 and 3-4 it just depends if you have your hand in the dirt and all teams are starting to muddy the water with blend defenses.
[doublepost=1494795201,1494794759][/doublepost]
I like a good pass rushing 5T in a 34 though. Not there to keep linebackers clean but to pin his ears back and get after the qb with the linebacker. If BK is who he looked like in college then I love the idea of him at 5T with Tim Williams at the 7/9. That's a real handful of speed rush for the RT and it will need a TE to stay in line and the back has to stay in pass pro.

Totally agree with this since 5 tech is lined up on the outside shoulder of the OT. It will be fun to see if Kaufusi can hold up against the run in "base defenses". I see Henry and Wormley more as the 3 techs.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
For pass rush I'd like to see:

Correa-Mosley-bowser
Judon-pierce-wormley-twill

For our base 34 I'd like:

Suggs-Mosley-correa-Judon
Wormley-williams-kaufusi

That is of course hoping guys pan out
[doublepost=1494850428,1494850163][/doublepost]
I believe the op is looking for certain packages and the personel in them in what you want to see but yeah with the 4-3 and 3-4 it just depends if you have your hand in the dirt and all teams are starting to muddy the water with blend defenses.
[doublepost=1494795201,1494794759][/doublepost]

Totally agree with this since 5 tech is lined up on the outside shoulder of the OT. It will be fun to see if Kaufusi can hold up against the run in "base defenses". I see Henry and Wormley more as the 3 techs.
Eating blocks is not really a part of pass rushing at all. You can 2 gap which forces the offense to dedicate one blocker and keep the 2 bookending blockers on their toes, but pass rush is about penetration. I don't want a DT at 5T on pass rush snaps trying to clog space, get kaufusi to put the OT on his heels, williams on the outside shoulder taking on the TE and you have 2 guys bringing a strong speed rush on one side.

If everyone is doing their job then you don't need guys to eat blocks, win your matchups and you will generate a lot more pressure than if you try to scheme one player to get a favorable matchup.

K-Dog

MVP
Lots of big guys
some guys that really love to blow people up
some guys that run real fast and are really really good at catching the ball.

That is my ideal formation.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
I like the idea of
Kafusi and Suggs as ends with Pierce/Wormley at 0
Using Bowser as a sort of Buck linebacker who can blitz or drop with Judon and Tim at interchangeable OLB

The Raven

Veteran
For pass rush I'd like to see:

Correa-Mosley-bowser
Judon-pierce-wormley-twill

For our base 34 I'd like:

Suggs-Mosley-correa-Judon
Wormley-williams-kaufusi

That is of course hoping guys pan out
[doublepost=1494850428,1494850163][/doublepost]Eating blocks is not really a part of pass rushing at all. You can 2 gap which forces the offense to dedicate one blocker and keep the 2 bookending blockers on their toes, but pass rush is about penetration. I don't want a DT at 5T on pass rush snaps trying to clog space, get kaufusi to put the OT on his heels, williams on the outside shoulder taking on the TE and you have 2 guys bringing a strong speed rush on one side.

If everyone is doing their job then you don't need guys to eat blocks, win your matchups and you will generate a lot more pressure than if you try to scheme one player to get a favorable matchup.

Pierce? I can see Wormley, but Pierce? Rather have BK or Urban out there.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Pierce? I can see Wormley, but Pierce? Rather have BK or Urban out there.
i dont see either of them as interior guys, they both play way too high, you just cant have 6'6" guys standing up and getting put on skates against nfl centers and guards. no thanks, give me a natural DT who at the very least can push the pocket.

The Raven

Veteran
i dont see either of them as interior guys, they both play way too high, you just cant have 6'6" guys standing up and getting put on skates against nfl centers and guards. no thanks, give me a natural DT who at the very least can push the pocket.

I'd rather have a guy that can, you know, get off the ball and move.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I'd rather have a guy that can, you know, get off the ball and move.
moving doesnt matter unless youre moving forward. neither urban nor kaufusi have given even the slightest indication that they can line up at DT and rush the interior.

and pierce got off the ball and moved pretty damn well as a rookie, and has given some proof to an interior rush skillset, when neither of those 2 have.

i absolutely do not see a DT skillset from either of them. and to be clear i dont particularly like either pierce or williams at 3T, but i like both better than BK/Urban who i see as pure 5Ts. i would actually really like to see us get a legit 3T next offseason unless somebody really makes a big leap.

saying you just want a guy who can get up and move as an interior pass rusher is like saying "i want a fast rb" so you line up torrey smith in the backfield.

The Raven

Veteran
moving doesnt matter unless youre moving forward. neither urban nor kaufusi have given even the slightest indication that they can line up at DT and rush the interior.

and pierce got off the ball and moved pretty damn well as a rookie, and has given some proof to an interior rush skillset, when neither of those 2 have.

i absolutely do not see a DT skillset from either of them. and to be clear i dont particularly like either pierce or williams at 3T, but i like both better than BK/Urban who i see as pure 5Ts. i would actually really like to see us get a legit 3T next offseason unless somebody really makes a big leap.

saying you just want a guy who can get up and move as an interior pass rusher is like saying "i want a fast rb" so you line up torrey smith in the backfield.

Disagree on all counts. Kaufusi was pretty disruptive from the interior in college when he lined up there. He's got a good first step, and he steps forward. An explosive first step is the most important part of pass rushing today, on the outside on on the interior. Urban isn't quite as explosive, but his first step is still better than Pierce's. I think either could adequately fill a 3-tech role. Of the guys we have, they have the skill sets that best fit the 3.

Anyway, you think Wormley has shown burst or leverage or pass rushing fortitude? Because I haven't really seen that either. He kinda lumbers out of his stance, and the OL is just waiting for him. You need to engage the OL before they get back to their point. Wormley doesn't do that. Wormley dreams of having the burst that Kaufusi has.

Pro Football Focus writes in their scouting report, "Much of his production came against guards and centers inside. He has the quickness to beat guards, and he won both inside and outside with multiple pass-rush moves, including spins and swims." They also criticize his first step, but I maintain that it's better than Wormley's.

Also, Urban actually played 3tech in college. So, I don't get the rationale that Urban and Kaufusi are worse options than Pierce.

Last edited:

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Disagree on all counts. Kaufusi was pretty disruptive from the interior in college when he lined up there. He's got a good first step, and he steps forward. An explosive first step is the most important part of pass rushing today, on the outside on on the interior. Urban isn't quite as explosive, but his first step is still better than Pierce's. I think either could adequately fill a 3-tech role. Of the guys we have, they have the skill sets that best fit the 3.

Anyway, you think Wormley has shown burst or leverage or pass rushing fortitude? Because I haven't really seen that either. He kinda lumbers out of his stance, and the OL is just waiting for him. You need to engage the OL before they get back to their point. Wormley doesn't do that. Wormley dreams of having the burst that Kaufusi has.

Pro Football Focus writes in their scouting report, "Much of his production came against guards and centers inside. He has the quickness to beat guards, and he won both inside and outside with multiple pass-rush moves, including spins and swims." They also criticize his first step, but I maintain that it's better than Wormley's.

Also, Urban actually played 3tech in college. So, I don't get the rationale that Urban and Kaufusi are worse options than Pierce.
kaufusi lined up at 5T most of his college career and his senior year he experimented at OLB for some unknown reason, and was highly disruptive as a 5T by exploiting the tackles inside shoulder often and using his length, with the majority of his successes coming from a surprisingly solid bend around the outside, if you are seeing him with extended looks at 3T then clearly you have more access to film than i do, because i havent seen much of it at all, and regardless of where he may have lined up(if he even did get these snaps at DT as you claim) then his skillset still doesnt transition. he plays far weaker than an NFL DT, lacks that lower body power to drive guys off the ball and create space, and despite his first step which is elite for his size, he is still a large lumbering man who is very top heavy and lacks the agility and balance to bring a pure finesse rush from the interior and lacks the strength and leverage to line up at the 3T and be effective.

as for urban, i havent seen his college tape, but from what ive seen this previous season i dont know what would suggest hes anything close to a 3T aside from hoping he swats some balls up the middle. he isnt quick enough to knife close gaps, he lacks the leverage to push the pocket against guys that are 4 inches shorter, and has a slow first step. at 5T he is effective because he is playing guys typically closer to his height thus no leverage disadvantage, allowing him to drive one guy backwards with brute force and collapse one side of the pocket and use his ridiculous length to finish plays that most players cant.

to each their own but i simply dont place anywhere near as much emphasis as you do on first step for an interior rusher. i like guys that engage and disengage well and at their worst they are able to get some drive and tighten up the pocket so the qb cant step up.