• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Article Baltimore Ravens 2018 Pre-Season Predictions

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
I still have rave reviews for the final offseason of Ozzie Newsome’s career. For the most part, Ozzie Newsome successfully overhauled the entirety of the receiving corps. We added veterans Michael Crabtree, John Brown, and Willie Snead. A very talented corps, but all three are coming off down seasons. We drafted reliable and polished tight ends in Hayden Hurst and Mark Andrews, as well as high-risk projects in Jaleel Scott and Jordan Lasley. We potentially addressed a massive hole at RT by getting literal mammoth Orlando Brown Jr. We continued to bolster the secondary with the drafting of Anthony Averett, and DeShon Elliot. Finally, we drafted a potential future franchise QB in Lamar Jackson. A high-risk, high reward project that is extremely polarizing, but in all honesty what good QB prospect isn’t that? For the first time in a very long time, the expectations within the fanbase are high, and there is actual excitement from most of the fanbase. So, before the season officially starts I would like to list my predictions. I will be collaborating with @29BmoreBird22.

Feel free to skip the next two sections

Offensive Prediction

Read my countless articles. The offense’s ceiling is not one of say the Eagles, Saints, or Rams, but the offense has a higher ceiling than most of the media gives them credit for. Crabtree, Brown, and Snead all are very reliable receivers, and good route runners who know how to get open. They all have diverse skill sets that will allow Flacco to attack all three levels of the field. The passing attack with these three alone has been significantly upgraded, but Ozzie Newsome took it to another level by drafting two of the more pro-ready tight ends in recent memory. Hayden Hurst has the look of a day one starter and could be that rare rookie tight end who contributes off of the bat. Some may say that the wide receiving corps is talented but lacks a true #1 option. Hayden Hurst looks to be a guy the entire passing attack could revolve around both now, and five years from now. Andrews could also contribute on a lesser level and he could be a massive(literally) threat in the red zone and a machine on third down operating as a move tight end.

The rushing attack doesn’t have a definitive workhorse, but those aren’t as common in the NFL anymore. Alex Collins looks like a talented running back who is an ideal fit in the scheme. Kenneth Dixon is also talented enough to be a starter on some teams, and Buck Allen is a well-rounded running back. If Kenneth Dixon could stay healthy, he could turn into one of the better change of pace backs in the league and a weapon in the passing game. Patrick Ricard, Maxx Williams and/or Nick Boyle will the leading the charge for these backs. While the passing attack has been upgraded, the rushing attack is going to be the engine for the offense.

The return of Marshal Yanda could be a triumphant one and could help the running game massively. Ronnie Stanley’s development is better than steady, and it would not be unreasonable for him to become one of the NFL’s elite left tackles. Drafting Orlando Brown Jr. addressed a massive need, and he could be an instant upgrade in the running game. Alex Lewis should build upon a solid rookie campaign in his return. The big question for the offense is where does Lewis play? He is a definitive upgrade from Hurst at the position, but we also have a hole at C. Does Lewis stay at G and we choose a guy like Bozeman or Skura to start at center? Or do we play Hurst at LG and Lewis at C.

Overall, the offense could go from an offense that was among the worst in the entire league, to an above average unit that could be an offense that is good enough to help push for a playoff berth. The massive question comes from the interior offensive line, and if I were Ozzie Newsome I would be monitoring the pre-season cuts like a hawk for either a left guard for a center. In the end, if we can find a guy who is merely serviceable at the center position, the growth may be slower than anticipated, but towards the end of the season could become an effective unit that is hard to defend against due to the sheer number of weapons we possess.

Defense

Let’s keep this short: the defense could improve from a very good unit from a season ago… If Don Martindale is a good defensive coordinator. Martindale serves to be the second biggest question on the entire team besides Joe Flacco. The good news is, Ozzie Newsome has put him in an easier position than most defensive coordinators in the league. The past three offseasons have seen us address the defense heavily. The once weak secondary has added Eric Weddle, Tony Jefferson, Marlon Humphrey, Tavon Young, and Brandon Carr. All are starting caliber players that should make the life of Jimmy Smith much easier, and the life of opposing QBs much harder. In a passing NFL, a strong secondary is a necessity. Brandon Carr is our fourth best CB when he’d be a solid starter on most of the other teams in the league. The secondary, barring health of course, has the potential to be a no-fly zone. Humphrey and Tavon Young had impressive rookie seasons, and if they take the next step both have potential to be shutdown corners from the outside(in Humphrey’s case) and slot(Young) respectively. If Jimmy returns to pre-injury form(Which to be fair is a massive question, and something I would not count on), then this will allow the safeties to roam more and could create more turnover opportunities. Not bad for a team that led the league in turnovers already.

But the additions to the secondary pale in comparison to the ones in the front 7. On paper, this front seven has an insane amount of young talent. Terrell Suggs manages to defy father time and still be a pro-bowl caliber player and one of the best edge players the league has to offer. Brandon Williams is an excellent nose tackle who is an anchor in the run defense and forces a lot of third and longs. CJ Mosley needs no introduction either, he’s one of the smartest and most well-rounded defensive players in the game, and serves as the QB of a front seven. But the past three drafts have seen us add speed to a once-slow defense. Kamalei Correa, Willie Henry, Matt Judon, Michael Pierce, Tyus Bowser, Tim Williams, Chris Wormley, Kenny Young, and Zach Seiler all fit the current NFL mold of faster front seven players that, in the hands of an effective defensive coordinator, could make life a living hell for opposing quarterbacks in both pass rush, and coverage. With this much speed and depth in the front seven, if Martindale is smart he’d be wise to run a heavy rotation to keep the defense fresh and fast for the entirety of a game.

The defense is a high-ceiling, high-floor unit. The two massive questions are if Martindale can be smart with rotations, and if we can improve the run defense.

Now, let’s get into the schedule.

Week One: Vs. Buffalo. I haven’t seen this big of a fall from grace from an NFL team ever. The Bills went form a team that went from a playoffs, to a team with possibly the worst roster in football. The media wants to hype them up, but I don’t see it. Their offensive line might be the worst in football. The wide receiving corps is pathetic. LeSean McCoy is their best player, but he’s an old running back and he might fall off of a cliff any day of the week. The defense is solid enough to keep this from being a blow out, but I trust Harbaugh against rookie quarterbacks. The Bills’ quarterback situation is among the worst in the entire league. Josh Allen is one of the lease polished prospects I’ve ever seen, and if the Bills start him week one, he’ll be going against us with a tattered oline, probably no running game, and a pathetic wide receiving corps. AJ McCaron is a game manager at best, and since his supporting cast is pathetic, I don’t see him excelling.

Verdict: W. If we lose this game, prepare for a long season. This roster is so untalented that I would half-expect this to be a blowout.

Week Two: @Cincinnati. Let me be honest. The Bengals scare me. They upgraded their offensive line by adding Price and Glenn. The right side of that offensive line scares me. Joe Mixon has the potential to be a pro bowl running back and given our previous problems in the run game, that scares me. AJ Green and Tyler Eifert are studs. The wide receiving corps is further supplemented by Tyler Boyd and the burner John Ross. What doesn’t scare me as much is their defense, which is still good. Atkins and Burfict are obvious threats. They also have a talented young edge rusher in Carl Lawson. William Jackson and Dre Kirkpatrick are solid corners, and Shawn Williams is a good safety. Where I see us winning this game, is in the run game. Atkins and Burfict are obvious difference makers, and Billings, Williams, and Illoka are good run defenders as well, but the rest of the line backing corps is a massive unkown. Preston Brown could bounce-back, but there’s questions.

Verdict: L. Sorry, but I don’t’ see a W here. It’s a close game, but one we lose. Bengals always play us tough and they simply have more talent overall.

Week Three: Vs. Broncos. Sorry Coloradans, I don’t see the Broncos being good again. The offense is still really pathetic. Matt Paradis is a really good center, but the rest of the offensive line is still highly questionable. Case Keenum is also a question mark. Can he succeed in a city with no offensive line, a questionable rushing attack, and wide receivers who are on the decline? The Broncos will make the game competitive. Von Miller is still a stud. Chris Harris Jr is one of the league’s best corners. Derek Wolfe is a good player as well, and that pass rush could be deadly with the addition of Bradley Chubb. Todd Davis and Brandon Marshall are underrated players as well.

Verdict: W. Expect a defensive slugfest. But ultimately I see a more well-rounded team here in Baltimore. At home, this is a tough game, but their offense is easier to shut down than ours.

Week Four: @Pittsburgh. We need a W. They’ll likely be without Bell, which makes our life somewhat easier. This game will be the ultimate test for the secondary. The offensive line is solid, but the Steelers possibly have the best WR corps in the league. Antonio Brown is an elite player, and JuJu and James Washington are going to be tough to contend with. Where the Steelers fall apart is the defense. Cameron Heyward and Tuitt are excellent players, and TJ Watt is a player to watch. The addition of Morgan Burnett looks solid as well, but four players a defense does not make. The line backers outside of Watt are honestly sub-par, and the corners are poor as well. The Steelers are not playing backup QBs and have played down to their competition the past few seasons, and will likely have a run defense that is subpar again.

Verdict: W. The Bengals honestly scare me more. The offense of the Steelers is imposing and they will get their licks in, but if our secondary is healthy we should get enough stops to make the game closer. Expect another big night from Alex Collins, and possibly Joe Flacco.

Week Five: @Browns. Do not sleep on the Browns. But don’t get arrogant either. They are the offseason champions by adding Landry. Tyrod Taylor is a solid QB. They added Baker Mayfield as well, and likely found their QB for the future. Carlos Hyde is a work-horse RB. Mychal Kendricks is a good LB. So is EJ Gaines. Myles Garret should take the next step. The oline is solid. David Njoku is a future stud. The game should be close. But will it be? Yes.

Verdict: W. But we still win. Harbaugh has always been a very good coach against rookie QBs. And while this rookie has a lot of options(Njoku, Hyde, Johnson, Gordon, Landry), the tackle positions are a massive weakness. The secondary looks weaker too, and while Myles Garret is a stud, he’s only one man and the rest of their pass rushers don’t inspire confidence. Expect a close contest, but still a W. Congratulations Browns! You went from an 0-16 team to a 4-12 team.

Week Six: @ Titans. The Titans are a team with a lot of questions, but a lot of talent as well. Derrick Henry will finally be at home in a power-scheme, but Dion Lewis is the real threat. The WR corps also has questions, but a lot of talent. Corey Davis could be a #1. Delanie Walker is one of the best tight ends in the league. The defense? Very talented as well. Adding Malcolm Butler only makes them scarier. The Titans are likely the team that is going to compete with us for a wild-card spot.

Verdict: L. The offensive line is one of the best in football and Henry and Lewis might be one of the more unnoticed rushing attacks in football. If Corey Davis breaks out, look out. Mariota is going to have some fun. It would be nice to steamroll Dean Pees, but I don’t expect a collapse with Vrabel at the helm.

Week Seven: Vs. New Orleans. New Orleans likely has the best offense in football. Brees, if he doesn’t fall off of a cliff is still a great QB. Kamara and Ingram are the best one-two punch in the game. Michael Thomas is a great WR. The additions of Cameron Meredith and Benjamin Watson have to make Payton salivate The offensive line is also a really talented unit. Sadly, their defense isn’t too different. Cameron Jordan is an obvious stud. Marshon Lattimore is already an elite corner. Marcus Williams is another good player in that secondary. Adding Patrick Robinson against the slot should prove to be a difference as well. The addition of Kurt Coleman is an underrated one.

Verdict: L. Saints are my super bowl pick… If Brees doesn’t fall off of a cliff. Along with Philly, they might be the most well-rounded team in the league. We have never lost a game to the Saints, all good things must come to an end.

Week Eight: @Carolina. Cam Newton is a beast, McCaffery is the next Darren Sproles, adding CJ Anderson is a good fit as well. Greg Olsen is a top tier tight end who could give our secondary and linebackers trouble, and adding DJ Moore and Torrey Smith bodes well. Too bad the game has passed Norv Turner by and the offensive line is terrible. The front seven is also imposing. Kawann Short and Luke Kuechly are elite. Julius Peppers is still a great pass rusher, as is Mario Addison, Thomas Davis is a great coverage linebacker. Their safeties are terrible and their corners are solid at best.

Verdict: W. The Panthers are a talented squad, especially in the front seven, but one that our defense is kind of tailor made to stop. The offensive line is banged up and their injuries might halt their rushing attack entirely. Their WR corps doesn’t lack talent, but it’s nothing the secondary can’t handle. The front seven possess a massive threat to our offensive line and will be a test, but at this point in the season I expect our offense to have cohesion. Their corners are the weak point and I think we can maximize the good plays. Expect a close, exciting game, but I think we win.

Week Nine: Vs. Pittsburgh. We all wish this game was before the bye. But my concerns about their defense still stands.

Verdict: L. The Steelers play us hard regardless. I expect a split. It might be the other way around, but they take us down while they are on the road. That offense is going to eventually win one of these days.

Week Eleven: Vs. Cincinnati.

Verdict: W. Coming out of a bye week we get our revenge here. The Bengals do have weak points, particularly the right side of their line and their run defense. At home, coming off of a bye, and in a close race for the division. I say we split this.

Week Twelve: Vs. Oakland. Derek Carr should return to form. The Raiders have a very talented unit. Their offensive line is solid. Their WR corps has talent. Khalil Mack is a stud, Mario Edwards, Karl Joseph, and Derek Johnson are solid players as well. The problem with the Raiders is that they have too many questions, especially on the defensive side of the ball. The pass rush looks solid, but the run defense might be terrible. Can Conley take the next step and become a #1 corner? The secondary as a whole is littered with questions. Reggie Nelson’s age finally caught up to him last year. The other corners are massive question marks. The linebacking corps without Bowman looks tattered.

Verdict: W. At home, even with a good Derek Carr I don’t see us losing this. Their rushing attack has two players that could’ve potentially fallen off for good in Martin and Lynch. Cooper is a good WR, but there are questions about Jordy Nelson’s age, and Martavis Bryant is a question mark as well even though he is talented. Khalil Mack is a game wrecker, and will need to be contained. But the Raiders questions in the run defense and in the secondary make them a weaker unit than anticipated.

Week Thirteen: @Atlanta. Pound for pound likely the most talented offense in football. Adding Calvin Ridley makes this WR corps arguably the best in the game. Julio Jones is the best wide receiver in football. Austin Hooper is a good tight end. Freeman is a stud in the zone blocking scheme. The offensive line is talented. Matt Ryan is an ex-MVP for a reason and a stud at home. The defense isn’t anything to laugh at either. Deon Jones, Vic Beasley, Desmond Trufant, Grady Jarrett, Keanu Neal, Takk McKinley are all very talented. The addition of Isaiah Oliver looks to be a strong one as well.

Verdict: L. A big time L. Matt Ryan is a difficult QB to defeat on the road during the regular season. Even alcoholic Sarkisian couldn’t lose this game. Expect Sarkisian to accidentally kill them again come playoff time though.

Week Fourteen: @Kansas City. Talk about a purge. Kareem Hunt, Tyreek Hill, and Travis Kelce, along with an underrated offensive line prove to be a good supporting cast. Adding Sammy Watkins could help out a strong-armed Patrick Mahomes. The problems begin to pile up on the defensive side of the ball for the Chiefs. The defense does have nice pieces. Eric Berry is a good player, but will he return to form post an achilles injury? Justin Houston is a stud pass rusher. Kendall Fuller is a great slot CB, but he’s one guy. David Amerson is coming off of not only a down-year but a knee injury. Will Dee Ford capture the magic again of a double digit sack season? Will the defensive line be able to make a difference?

Verdict: W. The offense for the Chiefs will be potent if Mahomes develops quickly. But that defense has too many questions due to injuries. I don’t see a loss here.

Week Fifteen: Vs. Tampa Bay. The Buccs could surprise. They had an excellent draft. Vea, Jones should be difference makers. Mike Evans, McCoy, David, Alexander, are studs. OJ Howard could be a top tier tight end, and Cameron Brate is a quality option. Desean Jackson is still a potent deep threat. Chris Godwin has upside. They added Ryan Jensen to an improving offensive line. They injected young talent in the secondary. Jameis is a talented QB.

Verdict: W. Even though I do think the Bucs are talented, I don’t think they’re ready yet. The secondary is young and could be subject to getting schooled by a veteran group of receivers. I expect their receiving corps to be too much to handle. The Buccs have enough talent defensively to pull off an upset, but I don’t see it happening. The young secondary could be taken to school.

Week Sixteen: Vs. LA Chargers. The Chargers have low-key put together one of the most talented rosters in football. Keenan Allen, Melvin Gordon, Austin Eckler. They’ve bolstered the oline. What’s a moneymaker is that defense though. Bosa and Ingram are potentially the best pass rushing duo in football. Casey Heyward is a stud, and King is good in the slot. Derwin James is a dream fit with Gus Bradley. Adaee is already a good strong safety as well. The run defense should improve with the return of Denzel Perryman.

Verdict: L. The Chargers are hated by everyone because of Spanos. But the squad is among the most talented in football. Assuming the football gods stop punishing Spanos, this squad could be a low-key super bowl contender. This is a tough loss, but one nonetheless.

Week Seventeen: Vs. Browns.

Verdict: W. Let’s turn our luck around for the last week. No more Bengals to screw us over last second and ruin our playoff aspirations. The Browns as an organization are heading the in right direction but we are desperate, at home, and likely fighting for a playoff berth and possibly the division.

Overall: 10-6. A lot of these games are going to be close barring injuries. This is a harder schedule than anticipated but not an impossible one. This could be good enough to win the division but I expect it to be a close race between us, the Steelers, and Bengals. This team has talent, and if Martidale is a good coach and Flacco has a good season, I think we could be a dark-horse super bowl contender. If Martindale turns out to be a great coach and we stay healthy, I could see us winning the division and posting a better record. The team is a very well-rounded unit for once. Let’s not blow it.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'll be honest I am way more down on the Bengals than you are. I think they are a worse team this year then last year and last year they were worse than the year before. They are trending downward and the only question is do they crash hard enough to finish 4th in the division or can they manage 3rd. Its stunning with the weapons they used to have on offense that Dalton still found a way to mess it up, but the time is up for that team and do not expect much from them.

I am more worried about week 4 Steelers than the later season matchup because no Jimmy to shut down Brown. Until I see the Ravens shut down Brown without Jimmy then I will just assume he will once again go for 150 like he seems to always do when Jimmy isnt playing.