• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2017 Starting Center?

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
Just curious who you guys think will play center for us. We all know #5 is only good with a clean pocket, and up the middle pressure killed us the last few years. Personally, I hope for Mangold but with rookie contracts I don't think we will have enough to afford him. Share your thoughts ^_^

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
nico siragusa could move inside at center or we may sign Mangold. That or we have urschel or Jensen play center this year.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Mangold must be shot if he's still unsigned, I'm hoping it's Urschel purely because he has some experience

It's possible they aren't comfortable signing him, at this point, due to his injury or that that don't want to lose the possible 3rd round comp they could receive. May 9th is an important date, because unrestricted free agents signed after this date don't count against the comp pic formula.

RavensPunkXVX

Pro Bowler
It would be nice to get Mangold just for the experience alone because that center position could prove to be pretty crucial. I'd feel more comfortable with Jensen or Urschel over Siragusa at this point.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
It wouldn't completely shock me at this point to see one of the UDFA centers we picked up become the starter. Sarigusa is a possibility, and I think he could pull off the move long term, but there's going to be plenty of growing pains since it'll be a new position for him.

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
It's possible they aren't comfortable signing him, at this point, due to his injury or that that don't want to lose the possible 3rd round comp they could receive. May 9th is an important date, because unrestricted free agents signed after this date don't count against the comp pic formula.
If we signed Mangold it wouldn't count against the comp pick, he was cut not a free agent I'm pretty certain.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
I agree with others on Mangold. He'd be a nice addition but Siragusa may get the nod. Should be interesting to see who gets the position.

Last edited:

RavensPunkXVX

Pro Bowler
Mangold would be gold for the ravens.
Stanley-Siragusa-Gold-Yanda-Lewis would be soild

I feel really comfortable with Lewis and Stanley on the edge. And of course Yanda. The center and guard position could make this a tough offensive line. Will probably be underrated, but only to the "experts."

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I think it's urschel or they may quietly really like one of the UDFAs from last season. I don't see how they trade zuttah for very little and minimal cap savings if they aren't comfortable with what's in house.

Whether or not it works is another story though. I just don't see a lifetime guard in nico suddenly converting to C before he even feels the small-school to NFL learning curve. Long shot at best

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I feel really comfortable with Lewis and Stanley on the edge. And of course Yanda. The center and guard position could make this a tough offensive line. Will probably be underrated, but only to the "experts."
I'm simply not ready to anoint siragusa like many have, but if his GOOD college tape projects to the NFL and he matches that level of play, then we will have a damn solid OL. Maybe not the power run game we want, maybe the right side can plow some holes but I wouldn't trust nico and Stanley combined fora Power run game, maybe next year though. As far as pass pro goes though, I think we're set

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
I'm simply not ready to anoint siragusa like many have, but if his GOOD college tape projects to the NFL and he matches that level of play, then we will have a damn solid OL. Maybe not the power run game we want, maybe the right side can plow some holes but I wouldn't trust nico and Stanley combined fora Power run game, maybe next year though. As far as pass pro goes though, I think we're set

Stanley is a pretty good run blocker. Looks bigger than he did at notre Dame. There isn't much difference in him and Robinson in size. I feel very confident in Goose at center. He made it clear he wants to play center. That leaves Eluemunor who so far initially made best first impression on observers or rookie camp. I know it's early but not bad for a Project player. If Goose is an above average center and Eluemunor is an above average guard then this is a great draft class. Siragusa and Eluemunor should have fans confidence. The mid round lineman Stood out from their more regarded early round draft mates.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
Stanley is a pretty good run blocker. Looks bigger than he did at notre Dame. There isn't much difference in him and Robinson in size. I feel very confident in Goose at center. He made it clear he wants to play center. That leaves Eluemunor who so far initially made best first impression on observers or rookie camp. I know it's early but not bad for a Project player. If Goose is an above average center and Eluemunor is an above average guard then this is a great draft class. Siragusa and Eluemunor should have fans confidence. The mid round lineman Stood out from their more regarded early round draft mates.

Where did you get that mini camp info? I saw nothing on him. ( Eluemun0r)

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
Where did you get that mini camp info? I saw nothing on him. ( Eluemun0r)

People that saw it. Running searches. Then ran search on pics. And I found it to be true. Timmy Williams looks to be smaller than we thought. Unless it was the big uniform and Eluemunor/Goose being so big

I hope we sign Mangold, if we're comfortable with his injury status. He'll bring leadership that we've not had since Birk's retirement. I hesitate to commit to Siragusa, as he is too much of an unknown. The last time we threw a 4th round rookie into that role it was catastrophic (Gino).

Urschel and Jensen had their shot at a starting spot last year and neither impressed. They also had opportunities at times to fill in and they did not step up. Remember - even if we sign Mangold, we still have another starting slot to fill on the line. So even if we have faith in these guys, one of them is going to have to step into a starting role (likely at LG, if we move Lewis out to RT) ... unless we sign an additional FA for the o line

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I think it's urschel or they may quietly really like one of the UDFAs from last season. I don't see how they trade zuttah for very little and minimal cap savings if they aren't comfortable with what's in house.

Whether or not it works is another story though. I just don't see a lifetime guard in nico suddenly converting to C before he even feels the small-school to NFL learning curve. Long shot at best
I'm not so sure it's going to be Urschel, but it is possible since he does have experience. That being said, I agree with Nico, but it could be his future, once he gets settled. Of course he may end up being so good at lg that we don't want to move him. Let's hope...

The Greek

Veteran
Just curious who you guys think will play center for us. We all know #5 is only good with a clean pocket, and up the middle pressure killed us the last few years. Personally, I hope for Mangold but with rookie contracts I don't think we will have enough to afford him. Share your thoughts ^_^
i hope for mangold as well but they must somewhat trust jensen or urschel because they would have traded up to ensure drafting one of the top centers or signed a vet during free agency imo

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
Lets not forget about Skura. Somebody tried to pluck him off our PS and we turned around and gave him an NFL contract and he's a bonafide C so he definitly was waiting in the wings when we shipped out Zuttah. Just a thought.....