• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2017 Starting Center?

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Lets not forget about Skura. Somebody tried to pluck him off our PS and we turned around and gave him an NFL contract and he's a bonafide C so he definitly was waiting in the wings when we shipped out Zuttah. Just a thought.....
Yes, this is true as well. This center plot should be interesting to follow in camp if Mangold isn't signed.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Yes, this is true as well. This center plot should be interesting to follow in camp if Mangold isn't signed.
kind of exciting but also a little worrying - jensen/urschel and skura - urschel might be too light for the power game, skura might even be too light and jensen is incredibly inconsistent protecting the passer - if mangold isnt on the team i think jensen is the leader in the clubhouse just because of his size and mauling prowess

HNL Raven

Practice Squad
im so tired of the oline shuffling. Its like they're stunting some of the players. This year Alex Lewis better stay at guard or tackle, he better not play 2 positions in one season.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
im so tired of the oline shuffling. Its like they're stunting some of the players. This year Alex Lewis better stay at guard or tackle, he better not play 2 positions in one season.
what do you expect them to do if they get an injury? who would you rather at left tackle last year after stanley went down? alex lewis or james hurst? it's not like they were moving guys around willy-nilly... yanda moved to left guard because his injury meant he couldnt play right guard, wagner and zuttah didnt move all year, lewis played left guard until stanley got injured at which point he stepped in and then yanda took over for him once they were both injured - none of those decisions were shuffling the line on purpose - in fact lewis wasnt reinserted back into the line after he got healthy again so that the line wouldnt be shuffled because ducasse was a right guard, yanda could only be on the field at left guard and alex lewis had only played on the left side

im all for having a fixed oline for 16 games with no position switching but if ronnie stanley gets injured or yanda gets injured then guys are going to have to move around in order to get the best 5 guys on the field in an effective sense

Big Cat Garcia

Practice Squad
I think Alex Lewis goes back to Left Guard. This is a running lane. He needs to be the Guard to catapult the running game.
Nembot/ Hurst can be solid RT however there are many options having Yanda on the right side. 3 possible Centers in Jensen, Skura and Urschel one of them will step up. Just don't like moving Alex all the way to Right Tackle but we will see.

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
I think Alex Lewis goes back to Left Guard. This is a running lane. He needs to be the Guard to catapult the running game.
Nembot/ Hurst can be solid RT however there are many options having Yanda on the right side. 3 possible Centers in Jensen, Skura and Urschel one of them will step up. Just don't like moving Alex all the way to Right Tackle but we will see.

Lewis may play RT by default. I don't like Hurst and Nembot at tackle. I'm not a fan of bringing in Mangold. Let your young players compete for the position. Besides at his age Mangold is not an upgrade over who will win the position out of Urschel Jensen and Siragusa. If he is an upgrade then that is not Saying anything good about team

RavensPunkXVX

Pro Bowler
I read an article by a Ravens writer that said he doesn't believe the players that will play the center and guard position are even on the team right now, which I found to be interesting. I think he might be looking at Mangold as a center, but at the very least, the new guard is on the current roster.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I read an article by a Ravens writer that said he doesn't believe the players that will play the center and guard position are even on the team right now, which I found to be interesting. I think he might be looking at Mangold as a center, but at the very least, the new guard is on the current roster.
It also may indicate that they are suddenly comfortable with Alex Lewis at RT, and maybe even prefer it.

But then again it was a ravens writer and not a coach or any kind of insider, so I wouldn't exactly call it credible
[doublepost=1494261015,1494260910][/doublepost]
It also may indicate that they are suddenly comfortable with Alex Lewis at RT, and maybe even prefer it.

But then again it was a ravens writer and not a coach or any kind of insider, so I wouldn't exactly call it credible

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
How could the center not be on the team? Washed up Mangold is the only option and I like whoever wins it out of Urschel Jensen Siragusa.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
How could the center not be on the team? Washed up Mangold is the only option and I like whoever wins it out of Urschel Jensen Siragusa.
maybe the team believes mangold isnt washed up...
i hope it isnt mangold as well because it would suggest that we are happy with our in house center prospects which was also suggested by us trading away zuttah but i wouldnt write off mangold as a guy who would potentially come and join a team in training camp like anquan boldin would although unlike boldin i feel like the further from the draft mangold gets without being signed then the less likely we are to sign him

RavensPunkXVX

Pro Bowler

It's a reporter, not like a close, personal source. Personally, I could see them plugging the position with two guys from our current squad.

The Greek

Veteran
Lewis may play RT by default. I don't like Hurst and Nembot at tackle. I'm not a fan of bringing in Mangold. Let your young players compete for the position. Besides at his age Mangold is not an upgrade over who will win the position out of Urschel Jensen and Siragusa. If he is an upgrade then that is not Saying anything good about team
i agree with you somewhat about mangold. sure we want our younger guys to win the job but it helps having a probowl veteran mentor you as far as making line changes etc..etc.. remember how bad gino gradkowski was. i sure do not want a repeat of that

rossihunter2

Staff Member
i agree with you somewhat about mangold. sure we want our younger guys to win the job but it helps having a probowl veteran mentor you as far as making line changes etc..etc.. remember how bad gino gradkowski was. i sure do not want a repeat of that
i think there's a slight difference from the gino situation in that gino was an undersized rookie who never looked right in that oline whereas we've seen some flashes of effectiveness from jensen and urschel in spurts in relief and the FO obviously likes matt skura a little bit too

The Greek

Veteran
i think there's a slight difference from the gino situation in that gino was an undersized rookie who never looked right in that oline whereas we've seen some flashes of effectiveness from jensen and urschel in spurts in relief and the FO obviously likes matt skura a little bit too
the new o-line coach will hopefully coach these 3 guys up but all 3 imo need to put on some more weight so they do not get pushed back

rossihunter2

Staff Member
the new o-line coach will hopefully coach these 3 guys up but all 3 imo need to put on some more weight so they do not get pushed back
i think jensen has proven he wont get outmuscled and he can maul interior defensive linemen so im not too worried about him weight-wise but urschel is sub-300 lbs and skura is only just over 300lbs which if we are moving to a power system isnt enough
in terms of weight i think jensen is the leader in the clubhouse but siragusa may well come in and steal the job if he can put it together...