• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Simba's Full First Round + Ravens Mock

Simba

Staff Member
As usual, I try to do one mock draft a year. Have had years where I've been successful and some, not so much. The every year PSA - I build these mocks based on what I think could happen, not necessarily what I want to happen.

1. Carolina Panthers - Bryce Young, QB, Alabama

Not much question in my mind on this one. As much as they try to say it, I think they had Young in mind when they made the trade and nothing has changed that thought.

2. Houston Texans - Will Anderson, ED, Alabama

Genuinely believe it's Young or bust at QB for the Texans at 2. I think they'd really love to get a QB, but I'm guessing they have a hard time passing on a prospect of Anderson's caliber in favor of some questionable QBs.

3. TRADE: Las Vegas Raiders - CJ Stroud, QB, Ohio State

Arizona is happy to move back and let someone jump in front of the Colts to get a QB. Think there are some valid concerns around Stroud, but for a team that doesn't have a QB, it's worth the risk.

4. Indianapolis Colts - Anthony Richardson, QB, Florida

Indy is happy to sit still and take Richardson, who I think they'd take given the choice between Stroud and him anyways. After years of the veteran QB route, the finally hitch their wagon to a young guy.

5. Seattle Seahawks - Jalen Carter, DT, Georgia

Seattle sits in place and gets a top player with some questionable off field stuff. Luckily, nothing seems too damning so they roll with the top talent on the board, which is also a huge position of need.

6. Detroit Lions - Christian Gonzalez, CB, Oregon

Detroit did well to add a couple of solid vets to the CB group, but a bonafide CB1 is still a big need and the value lines up. Gonzalez is one of the most physically dominant CBs I've seen in years and will fit so well in Detroit.

7. Arizona Cardinals - Tyree Wilson, ED, Texas Tech

The Cardinals move back and still get the top guy on their board. The pass rush is absolutely putrid in Arizona and adding a dynamic talent like Wilson while adding capital is a great start for a team at somewhat of a crossroads.

8. Atlanta Falcons - Myles Murphy, ED, Clemson

Atlanta would love to see Wilson here, and wouldn't be surprised if they try to move for him. But instead, they sit back and take the next best option. I personally have some questions about Murphy, but doesn't mean I don't think he goes in this range.

9. Chicago Bears - Paris Johnson, OT, Ohio State

The Bears have a lot of needs, but first and foremost is protecting Fields and seeing what they have in him. Braxton Jones was a good player in 2022 but he should easily slide to the right side to insert someone with more upside.

10. Philadephia Eagles - Lukas Van Ness, DE, Iowa

The Eagles are clearly trying to maximize their window, but they also have some older vets that are coming up on needing to be replaced. Enter Van Ness, who can rush from the outside or inside.

11. Tennessee Titans - Will Levis, QB, Kentucky

Although this isn't what I think the Titans should do, I think they'd have a hard time passing on the opportunity at a QB without having to move up. This is another team at a crossroads so they can afford to let Levis sit behind Tannehill.

12. Houston Texans - Jaxon Smith-Njigba, WR, Ohio State

Another team that needs to decide what their ultimate goal is. With them passing on QB, it makes sense to continue to load premium talent and try next year. JSN represents good value at this point and gives him time to adjust for a future QB.

13. New York Jets - Broderick Jones, OT, Georgia

Operation make Aaron Rodgers happy. Becton is said to be in good shape but he's quite untrustworthy at this point, and it's not like the RT spot is secure either. Take the talent and let him grow.

14. New England Patriots - Peter Skoronski, OT, Northwestern

The Patriots usually zag while everyone else zigs, but they let the board fall to them and add to the OL. I think they'd absolutely give Skoronski a shot at T first, but they have needs inside as well.

15. TRADE: Los Angeles Chargers - Devon Witherspoon, CB, Illinois

The "fall" stops and the Chargers make a move up. Asante Samuel started to show his chops last year but that defense is still rough on the boundary and adding a premier talent has to appeal to a team that needs to get it right this year.

16. Washington Commanders - Deonte Banks, CB, Maryland

The Commanders were hoping to see Witherspoon slide, but with them getting jumped, they take the next guy in line. I think it will ultimately be Banks, who answered a lot of questions about his tape with a great pre-draft process.

17. Pittsburgh Steelers - Nolan Smith, ED, Georgia

Alex Highsmith has done a commendable job opposite Watt, but the opportunity to add a talent like Smith is hard to pass on. They can also easily use all 3 guys on the field at once.

18. Detroit Lions - Calijah Kancey, DT, Pittsburgh

The Lions continue to add to that underperforming D and take a potential stud to add to the interior. All of their current DL are just okay, and they'll take the chance on the premium movement skills.

19. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Brian Branch, DB, Alabama

The Buccaneers are another team with a bunch of needs as they approach their rebuild. Enter a guy that can play multiple roles for them on the back end of a somewhat decent D.

20. TRADE: Philadelphia Eagles - Bijan Robinson, RB, Texas

The took a long term consideration with their first pick, and now add an immediate impact guy for the SB run. There's always risk with RBs but he's supremely talented and I'd guess this goes much better than CEH and the Chiefs a few years back.

21. Green Bay Packers - Dalton Kincaid, TE, Utah

The Packers smartly move back and still get a top target. They have to find out if Love is the answer and adding talent around him should be priority number one this offseason.

22. Baltimore Ravens - Joey Porter Jr., CB, Penn State

1682294143471.png

I think the Ravens would ideally love to trade back here, but with the movement around them, the opportunity doesn't present itself. While Porter isn't a personal favorite of mine, I can absolutely see him being a Ravens type of guy. In fact, I think there's a strong chance he could go the Humphrey route - weirdly underwhelming for most at the time, but a guy you look back at a few years later and realize we really nailed it.

23. Minnesota Vikings - Jordan Addison, WR, USC

QB will be a need one day, but for now, add some more talent to that offense. While I don't love Addison, I think people are really overthinking him. Think he'd be a great complement to Jefferson and make opposing defenses have to plan for hell.

24. Jacksonville Jaguars - Emmanuel Forbes, CB, Mississippi State

The Jags are another ascending team that has a lot of good young pieces, but the CB2 job is a black hole. I think they'd be holding out hope for one of the top 4 or Branch, but instead settle for a playmaker the needs to add a little weight.

25. New York Giants - O'Cyrus Torrence, G, Florida

The Giants committed to Daniel Jones and now have to do what they have to do to protect him. The T spots are secure but they could certainly use an upgrade on the interior.

26. Dallas Cowboys - Michael Mayer, TE, Notre Dame

Jerry Jones loves an explosive offense, and while Mayer isn't some great down field threat, he should provide great insurance in the intermediate to let the WRs work downfield more.

27. Buffalo Bills - Quentin Johnston, WR, TCU

Gabe Davis faltered in a more prominent role, and a WR opposite Diggs is a big need for that offense. Enter Johnston, who would be more free to do what he does best as a second option.

28. Cincinnati Bengals - Anton Harrison, OT, Oklahoma

The Bengals added one Oklahoma OT in OBJ, and double down on the right side with Harrison. La'el Collins, coming off of a late season injury and a poor year, should not be counted on as a long term option.

29. New Orleans Saints - Adetomiwa Adebawore, DT, Northwestern

The Saints added some beef to their DL, but now need to add the pass rushing threat. The pass rush has been underwhelming despite the investment, so they try it again, but on the interior and not the edge this time.

30. Seattle Seahawks - Cody Mauch, OT, North Dakota State

The hit at the T spots in last year's draft, but could still use some help on the interior. Insert Mauch. The Seahawks are always looking for guys that fit what they like and I'm not sure there's anyone else that fits that mold more at this stage.

31. TRADE: Houston Texans - Hendon Hooker, QB, Tennessee

The Texans make a slight move up to finally get a QB and the 5th year option that comes with it. They added premier talent early and take the less risky investment on a QB.

Round 3, Pick 86 - Tyler Scott, WR, Cincinnati

1682295809153.png

There's part of my that questions whether Scott is here, but they're also part of me that sees a bunch of WRs with similar grades. I think you could sub a number of guys in here, but I'm going with Scott largely because I think the big guys will be prioritized ahead of him. He's been unheralded by most in the media, but is a downfield playmaker that is a threat every time the ball is in his hands.

Round 4, Pick 124 - Zacch Pickens, DT, South Carolina

1682295997307.png

Y'all know it's hard for the Ravens to say no to a quality DL. Pickens has been marred by inconsistency, but shows a lot of good traits on the tape. With the Ravens being able to unlock the potential for a myriad of other guys over the years, they take the chance and add him to the rotation. DL is generally a position most people aren't thinking of, but the contracts are expiring for a lot of our guys and adding young talent here is probably higher up the list than most think.

Round 5, Pick 157 - Emil Ekiyor, G, Alabama

1682296148362.png

If you had told me this time last year that Ekiyor would still be available at this point, I'd have thought you were crazy. But he put up a so-so year and hurt his draft stock considerably. Like DL, this has been a team that has taken a chance on guys like this from the top schools and turned them into solid players. They take the chance once again.

Round 6, Pick 199 - Tyler Lacy, ED, Oklahoma State

1682296382275.png

We've taken all of the uber athletic edge guys in the past couple of years, and now we get back to our roots with one that does the dirty work. There's nothing overly special about Lacy's athletic profile, but he's a strong, stout defender that can rush from the edge and the interior. I'm not always big on player comparisons, but Pernell McPhee is a great once in this case in my eyes.

Truth

Staff Member
Administrator
Sound, logical breakdown. Well put together. Tyler Scott and Emil Ekiyor are my favorite of the bunch.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Nice to see someone else going with Pickens as a mid rounder for the Ravens. He's a really good fit.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Your 22 and 23 are the 2 players I’m making a hard prediction for the ravens pick, so we’re in agreement there.

I used to like Pickens because I LOVE his film, but he looked like ass at the senior bowl, and that’s a big knock for me, nfl caliber players dominate when they go to the senior bowl, he not only didn’t dominate there but also had some downright ugly and low effort moments, but his tape is definitely intriguing, he reminds me of Arthur jones.

I’m still very high on Emil ekiyor and I just can’t believe how far he’s fallen. Last year I was predicting he rises to the 2nd.

Tyler Scott feels like a reach there imo.

Simba

Staff Member
Your 22 and 23 are the 2 players I’m making a hard prediction for the ravens pick, so we’re in agreement there.

I used to like Pickens because I LOVE his film, but he looked like ass at the senior bowl, and that’s a big knock for me, nfl caliber players dominate when they go to the senior bowl, he not only didn’t dominate there but also had some downright ugly and low effort moments, but his tape is definitely intriguing, he reminds me of Arthur jones.

I’m still very high on Emil ekiyor and I just can’t believe how far he’s fallen. Last year I was predicting he rises to the 2nd.

Tyler Scott feels like a reach there imo.
Will say that if Porter was gone in this exercise, Addison may have been the pick for the Ravens. Just trying to put myself in the Ravens' shoes and I'd guess Porter would have a higher grade on the board.