• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Article 2019: Ozzie's Endgame?

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Let’s get this out of the way, I believe that talent wise the Ravens can compete for a ring this year. I think Harbaugh as a head coach can do it again. There’s a few things that I think need to happen before this occurs, but I don’t see this year being our year. Are we a good team? Yes. We haven’t looked like the mediocre team we have seen over the past two seasons. Should we make the playoffs? Yes, I could see us making the wild card round or even winning the division somehow. Then why do I not see this being our year? If we have the talent and I am ever the optimist, then why do I see us winning it all next season? Well, let’s do what I do best and break this down.

Reason 1: Joe Flacco

I think he’s staying. Not only did Lamar Jackson light a fire under this guy, I think he’s finally at full health again, and has another few seasons left in the tank. If we sniff the postseason and post a winning record: he’s staying. And he finally has a receiving corps. Another year with these guys and they could become a well-oiled machine next season. Keeping John Brown for this very reason is a must. Flacco and Snead have become the best of friends, and it shows. There’s chemistry, trust, and they all complement each other so well. I do not care about Crabtree’s age, his style of play will allow him to last another season or two. We could always stand to add more receiving talent, but the corps here is excellent. Speaking of weapons.

Reason 2: Hayden Hurst and Mark Andrews

Hurst has struggled to come back healthy and is one of the most scrutinized Ravens draft picks to date (which is saying something). However, his tape was very close to perfect. Why are they their own category? Because they both have pro bowl ceilings and are both mismatch nightmares respectively and playing a position where a leap is common in the second year. The wide receiving corps is already an established unit, and where they lack in elite talent, they more than make up in by complementing each other very well. Hurst and Andrews respectively bring different skill sets to the table, and they also complement each other well. They both need to improve certain facets of their game. Hurst needs to become a more refined route runner, and there’s little doubt about that. I think he’s already well adjusted as a blocker and will be very versatile for us moving forward. Andrews has the opposite problem and needs to become a better blocker. If he does that then we can have a lot of two blocking sets where we just ground and pound and impose our will onto teams. I think these two will take the next step forward, and if that happens, you turn a top 10 unit, into a top 5 unit.

Reason 3: Little to no defensive turnover

One of Jimmy Smith or Brandon Carr is gone. I don’t expect us to let go of both, and since Carr has lowkey been a quality corner this offseason I could see us keeping him in favor of Jimmy, who is owed a lot of money and injuries might have finally caught up to him. That will take $10 million off the books. The Ravens have four key free agents this offseason and I fully expect us to retain CJ Mosley, Terell Suggs, and John Brown. Za’Darius Smith could be a key loss but will likely get massively overpaid elsewhere sine he is really going to be a one season wonder. We can always add another edge rusher, or far more likely, we will rely on one of Judon, Tim Williams, or Tyus Bowser to step up. Overall, an already elite defense likely remains as such. I could see us adding another edge rusher at some point in the draft next year.

Reason 4: Cap Space: Even with the cap increase, the Ravens are set to have $27 million. Since our front office has a tendency to front load our contracts, it’s not unrealistic to see it to be very likely for us to retain John Brown, Terell Suggs, Matt Skura, CJ Mosley, and Alex Collins respectively. That leaves Brent Urban and Za’Darius Smith to walk, and while they are good players, they are replaceable given the absurd amount of depth we posses in the front 7. Assuming Marshal Yanda does not retire, the Baltimore Ravens will enter the 2019 offseason with immediate needs along the offensive line(namely the center position, though there is a possibility Bozeman is a solution), and running back, with future needs at free safety, and pass rusher. It is also very likely that we release Jimmy Smith if he has truly declined, which opens up close to $10 million. Between him and Flacco, it’s honestly a no brainer if we make the postseason as to who goes. But even then, if Jimmy reverts back to the Jimmy of old, we can keep him and release Carr freeing up $5 million. Given our ability to acquire some bigger name free agents over the past three offseasons with limited cap room, it would not be totally unfeasible for us to go after a guy like Tevin Coleman, in addition to us keeping some of our key pieces. Jay Ajayi could be a quality addition as well, and neither should be particularly expensive given the usual construction of the RB market.

Reason 5: Limited needs: Assuming everything continues to go according to plan, what needs do we need? We need another RB. We need a starting C. We could use a future free safety to replace Weddle. We could always stand to add depth to the defensive line, and find another edge player. Given that we likely will be operating with close to $40 million, and about half of that will go towards retaining our own guys + the draft class, I would say we have about $15 million to spend on players, $10 million of which we will likely to spend. We have been very good about getting players to come here despite having limited cap room. We should be able to lure a quality free agent or two in and frontload their respective contracts. We likely will build up the trenches in the draft, with this being a strong interior offensive line class. As much as I like Damien Harris, I would not object to getting a running back in free agency such as Tevin Coleman, Jay Ajayi, or even a role player such as Benny Cunningham.

Reason 6: The 2018 draft class will be allowed to shine.

I covered Hurst and Andrews already. But by then Kenny Young should not be in a rotation, Orlando Brown Jr might be starting full time, Bozeman might as well, Anthony Averett might develop into a starting player full time as well. De’Shon Elliot at full health might turn into a quality third safety. The depth will still be strong.

Overall: Regardless of what happens this season, I think 2019 is our year. Assuming most of the team stays the same (the main thing is Yanda stays another season. I think even if we miss the postseason this year, Flacco stays). Another year of developing for the 2018 draft class in particular and limited needs should lead to us making only a few key moves. We are contenders now, but we could very well dominate the conference next season.

The keys are in your hand Eric. Take them and drive.