• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Article Rebuild or a changing of the guard? How to build this team for Lamar Jackson.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
With the team moving towards a total regime change, one wonders how much longer long time Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco has here. Flacco has not been the problem this season, but many Ravens fans believe that a change at Quarterback is needed. Enter Lamar Jackson, the physically most talented Quarterback we have ever drafted. He’s got a rocket arm and is athletically reminiscent of an in-his-prime Michael Vick. I still believe even with the team’s struggles, that the past three drafts for this organization have been nothing short of excellent overall. The team has holes, so the real question here is how do we fix them?

Offseason Possibilities

The first and most obvious thing to do here is to examine what the Ravens cap situation in 2019 is going to look like. Per spotrac, we will have roughly $10 million of roll over, and assuming a predictable increase of the salary cap, the Baltimore Ravens look to have close to $34 million of cap room. More than enough to sign our two most critical free agents in CJ Mosley and John Brown. Both are integral moving forward.

With regards to potential cap casualties, there are several possibilities for the team moving forward. Firstly, we must examine a return for Joe Flacco, a very likely trade candidate. Flacco has had a bit of an upswing this year, and while he has had a couple of bad games, he has been far from the main issue on this team. He still has had a couple of dominant performances this season, and a team that could be a piece or two away from contention could be very likely to trade pieces for him. A couple of teams come to mind, such as the Chicago Bears(yes, he’s better than Trubisky, who is the one person holding the team back), the Jacksonville Jaguars(who do not have the funds, but Flacco makes them an instant championship favorite), the Denver Broncos, and the New York Giants. Each of these teams could give up more than anticipated. Just look at the Sam Bradford and Brock Osweiler trades, who garnered high draft picks in spite of their high salaries and less than stellar Quarterback play. Flacco has an upper hand on either of these two, he’s a former Super Bowl MVP. The Miami Dolphins could ideally be another candidate. Let’s lowball this compared to the previous two deals and say that a trade for Flacco would command a 3rd and 5th round pick. Let’s add the fact that trading Flacco takes close to $10 million off the books. Before adjusting for the draft, that’s close to $45 million in cap room. After accounting for draft picks, this is closer to initial amount of $34 million.

Afterwards we have to look at potential cuts. The first, and most obvious move here is that we June 1st cut Brandon Williams. Williams is an excellent run stuffer, but that contract is an albatross. It is possible, but very unlikely to find a potential trade partner for him as he is one dimensional for the modern league. That contract was a mistake, and we retained the wrong guy. This would bring the salary cap room to closer to $45 million once more.

Then we get to some tricky areas. The real question here is whether Eric Decosta wants to do a total rebuild, or just a reloading. Personally, I think that if Lamar is far enough along in his development, a reload is the #1 priority. We will need cap space, but keeping Jimmy Smith is likely the most logical move. Marlon Humphrey and Tavon Young are both excellent defensive backs, and Jimmy Smith makes them one of the top corner trios in the league, if not the best one. Combine this with Eric Weddle and Tony Jefferson and this is an elite secondary. The one we are likely to get rid of is Brandon Carr, who we would gain $5 million of savings. Some may argue that this is a risky proposition given our injury history at cornerback, but we have been rebuilding the secondary the previous three seasons. This leaves us with close to $50 million in cap room. This is the last of the likely cuts.

The good news is that the Ravens only have two major free agent’s worth keeping. Since we are only two seasons off from a new collective bargaining agreement, we can backload the deals for CJ Mosley and John Brown. There are other free agents worth keeping, but they likely will not be too expensive. Terrell Suggs will be the most expensive of the bunch, but will likely not be a crippling contract. Something similar to Julius Peppers’ most recent contract. Robert Griffin III is likely to stay as well if Flacco goes to be a mentor to Lamar and to allow us to implement the same offense should anything happen injury wise. Ty Montgomery will also be an affordable acquisition. We can also tender Alex Collins(a must), Michael Pierce, and Matt Skura.

Assuming we have close to $50 million of cap to work with after accounting for draft picks, we likely spend around $20 million to retain our players. So ideally, we have around $30 million to spend. This is where we can now get into the true needs of the team moving forward.

Offensive Needs

The Ravens Offense has been an anomaly for the season. If there’s one thing that Lamar should be happy about is that we have a corps of weapons that suit his skillset, two of them being young enough to mainstays here for a good period of time. Willie Snead should quickly become his best friend, as he is very good at getting open on third downs and likely has the best hands on the team. John Brown, assuming we retain him, provides a speedy threat over the middle and is a #1 NFL wide receiver. Crabtree could be another threat in the red zone, and for Lamar that’s especially dangerous.

Then we get to the Tight Ends, easily the addition of the offense that should grow the most. Hayden Hurst and Mark Andrews should be the starters moving forward, especially with Maxx and Boyle both being free agents. If Andrews improves as a blocker, I expect him to be the “starter”, but Hurst to also be a potent option moving forwards. Hurst is more of a threat to attack the seam, but Andrews, like Willie Snead is a threat on third downs. If both become quality blockers, the two tight end sets will likely be heavily featured in this offense. Given that Lamar within a short to intermediate distance is a solidly accurate quarterback, this could allow the offense to become potent.

The weapons are not what I am worried about when it comes to Lamar’s development. Our weapons corps is nothing special, but a good one for a young quarterback to have. I believe that far and away our biggest need on the entire team is the offensive line, more specifically, the interior. Ronnie Stanley has proven himself to be one of the best young tackles in the league, and in limited playing time Orlando Brown has flashed traits that could allow him to be an elite offensive lineman at the NFL level. For this reason, it is absolutely imperative that Greg Roman remains on the team. These two are good fits moving forwards, and for the rest of the team this should be good for Lamar. This duo could become one of the best tackle duos in the game.

The far bigger need for the team is the interior offensive line. Marshal Yanda, even if he stays, is close to retirement. Assuming he stays, we absolutely need a good center for Lamar Jackson to grow with. The free agency class for this is bare, but the draft is ripe with several good options. A good left guard could also be in order. Although Bradley Bozeman flashes starter traits on the interior, relying on him solely is a poor decision. The absolute top need on this team is a Center. I would not be objected to drafting one in the first round. Given that we are more than likely to have a pick in the middle of the round and that centers are notoriously under drafted, a tradeback is inevitable. Since interior offensive linemen have been known to go in the middle rounds as well.

The other big need on the offensive side of the ball is running back. Sadly, the running back class is not as stellar in years previous. There’s several nice prospects, but none of them would have been drafted high in 2018 and all have issues. David Montgomery lacks long speed, Damien Harris is on the older side for a prospect, Bryce Love is a poor pass protector and receiver out of the backfield making him a liability in today’s game, Snell is not an impressive athlete, LJ Scott is not a particularly impressive athlete neither. To me, Damien Harris is the best running back in this draft bar-none, with no weaknesses in his tape and he is very scheme versatile. Lamar Jackson needs a running mate, and I believe that the best choice would either be Damien Harris, who would just be a weapon out of the backfield and a big play threat, and LJ Scott, who serves as a power back who is also a good weapon out of the backfield and would serve as the perfect foil to Lamar’s electric running style.

I highly doubt the receiving corps is going to see any major overhaul next season. This corps is good to help a young QB grow and learn the game at the professional level, and the two tight ends we have drafted, combined with Lamar’s ability to throw. I also believe that there is going to be little turnover on offense in general. Alex Collins and Ty Montgomery are ideal complimentary backs and provide a nice dynamic with Lamar, especially with Montgomery’s abilities as a third down receiver out of the backfield.

Defensive Needs

Honestly, the defense mainly needs pass rushers. The rest of the team is set player wise. Tim Williams, when he is allowed to play, is excellent in providing pressure. Za’Darius Smith is likely gone, and Suggs is getting older. This leaves Matt Judon, who is a good third pass rusher, but was massively overrated by the fanbase as the supposed future of the team. I expect Judon to show up in a contract year, and even though he is overrated, he is a good player.

This problem is correctable in one way, a switch to a 4-3 may be inevitable. The new age NFL is tailored to the offense, and while Wink is a good defensive coordinator, I feel as if the personnel really does not fit. The hybrid scheme was tailored for Ray Lewis as he was getting older to allow us to confuse offenses more, but now that has become stale and predictable. The team has the personnel to get faster on the defensive line. Tyus Bowser and Kenny Young need to see identical playing time. They are the prototypical WILL and SAM linebackers the team could use, and allow CJ to see less time in coverage by playing the MIKE, his more natural position as a linebacker anyways. Tyus Bowser is a classic case of this team fitting a square peg into a round hole. He’s not an edge rusher and we really need to stop putting him there. Kenny Young has actually been horrid in coverage per PFF, but he has the tools to continue to develop. On the defensive line, Micheal Pierce has been a monster and could be a difference maker as the nose guard in a 4-3, and Willie Henry is the ideal 3 technique. This switch could also benefit Chris Wormley and Zach Seiler. The switch to a 4-3 would necessitate us to draft another defensive lineman, but that’s a trend I expect to continue under Eric.

In short on offense we have needs at

OG

C

RB

And a long-term need at
WR.

Defense we have immediate needs at Edge rusher, Defensive line, and long-term needs at

safety.

Mock Offseason

In this scenario I am going to mock an offseason for us under the assumption that we resign

· John Brown

· C.J Mosley

· Terell Suggs

· Alex Collins(RFA)

· Michael Pierce(ERFA)

· Matt Skura(ERFA)

Operating under this assumption. I belive that our projected $50 million(after accounting for draft picks) in cap space becomes $30 after retaining everyone.

Now there are strengths in the free agency pool mostly on the defensive side of the ball, and running back. It is highly likely that we closely address the defensive side of the ball in free agency. Defensive free agents of note include.

· E.J Gaines

· Aaron Lynch

· Anthony Barr

· Haloti Ngata

· Shaquil Barret

· Haha-Clinton Dix

· David Irving

· Jonathan Hankins

· Jimmie Ward

· Landon Collins

· Tre Boston

· Sheldon Richardson

Most of these names are unlikely to even hit free agency. Anthony Barr, Haha-Clinton Dix, and Landon Collins being prime examples. However, there are some very effective names here that I believe could be major contributors. David Irving being the primary name as an interior pass rusher. He is having a down year this year due to character concerns and a suspension but is superbly talented. Operating under the assumption that the Cowboys choose not to resign him and we have a new head coach, David Irving could be in play as a key contributor as an interior pass rusher. Tre Boston and Jimmie Ward could be under the radar signings at safety. My dream scenario is David Irving, and I think that is more realistic than most let on. In this scenario, I see us signing Ted Cruz, and bringing Haloti Ngata home to bolster depth along the offensive line. I could see Irving being a more reasonable contract because of the character troubles, and Ngata being reasonable. As an estimate I will say that these two take about $12 million overall off of the cap. Leaving us with $18 million in cap room. This would help us effectively bolster the defensive line. Finally, I could see us with Jimmie Ward as well to help bolster the safety position.

The Draft

The draft is a different matter. I will say that building up the offensive line is the move. In this scenario, I expect Marshal Yanda to stay for at least one more year. The majority of the major needs are the offensive line, I expect us to at least draft two, with us viewing Bozeman as a potential starter in 2019 at left guard. This means we draft a replacement for Yanda in the middle rounds, as well as a starting center.

Currently, we are projected to draft in the 14-16 range, a terrible place to be value wise. After a proposed Flacco trade I would have us with a first rounder, two third rounders, a fourth rounder, two fifth rounders, a and a sixth rounder. A trade down is inevitable given our needs. In this trade down, I envision a scenario where we trade back into the 25 range and acquire another third rounder, and another fourth. Leaving us with a late first rounder, three third rounders, two fourths, two fifths, and a sixth. Our usual draft capital. This would leave us in an ideal scenario to draft best player available.

1. Tyler Biadasz, C, Wisconsin: Given that even the best center prospects are usually taken here, 25 should be a good spot. This is the ultimate pick for a Lamar Jackson team. Although he is not going to dominate from day one, he is automatically an upgrade in pass protection from Matt Skura. He clearly displays the football intelligence to play C. He has nice power, but the technique is there too given that he’s from Wisconsin. He’s scheme versatile as they come, which is an advantage. Given that Roman runs both zone and power looks, Biadasz is the unsexy, but completely obvious pick to take this on.

2. Round 3 Pick 1: Porter Gustin, USC, OLB. Porter Gustin is “raw”. He’s well coached, has actual bend, and is freakishly athletic off of the snap, as well as a very solid and patient run defender. He’s not perfect, but he’s got NFL traits. If there is an OLB that is the perfect replacement for Suggs, it’s Gustin. He’s got a relenteless motor, and “plays like a Raven”. He has a nice spin move. He’s not perfect and he needs work, but he’s an impressive prospect. He is coming off of an injury, otherwise he’d likely be a first round talent, but Gustin is a risk worth taking in the third.

3. Round 3 Pick 2: LJ Scott, Michigan State, RB. LJ Scott makes a lot of logical sense here as an ideal foil to Lamar Jackson. He’s strong both in between the tackles and has underrated athleticism. He could serve as a nice sledge hammer with Lamar’s explosive playstyle. In a Greg Roman offense, here is your workhorse running back who is good at just about everything. His one problem this season has been injuries, but the tape is good and the tape does not lie. You want to improve the rushing attack, LJ Scott is the modern day power back. His power, with Collins’ short range explosiveness, partnered with Mongtomgery’s backfield abilities suddenly gives us a nice stable of runners set to attack any type of defense.

4. Round 3 Pick 3: Blace Brown, Troy, Cornerback. Brown fills a best player available thing. His primary concern as a player is a thinner frame at 180 pounds, but that is the least of my worries as he clearly has a skillset that translates well to the NFL. He possesses excellent ball skills, hands, and instincts. Corner is not as big of a need as some make it out to be, as Averett, Young, and Humphrey all look promising, but in today’s NFL you could always have good corners.

5. Round 4 Pick 1: Ross Pierschbacher Alabama, Interior Offensive Line: I see Bozeman as an inevitable starter. Ross is a similar prospect but more athletic. He’s a plus run blocker who needs to work on his pass protection, but fits the scheme like a glove. He can play C, but he projects much better as a guard at the pro level. The best way to do this. The mid rounds are ideal as he does have a lot of work to do, but as a prospective successor to Yanda, this is as good of a choice as any.

6. Round 4 Pick 2: Kingsly Keke, DT, Texas A&M. To make this brief, even in this scenario where we sign David Irving, this is an ideal draft pick to bolster the depth. Pierce is a more than ideal NT, and Wormley and Seiler are going to be nice additions as well. But with Brandon Williams gone, I see us adding another guy. Keke displays solid athleticism and ability to penetrate off of the line

Overall. The team looks like a mess but if you make some key moves the problems are fixable. Not everything is going to be perfect but the draft is more riddled with talent at major positions of need than anticipated.

Everything here is to help Lamar. The defense is good enough to win and likely is a better fit in a 4-3. The offense has the weapons set in stone to help Lamar grow, and by drafting and fixing the offensive line needs moving forwards, you both bolster the depth and improve the starting line. Providing the team with a nice, young offensive line corps moving forward, and a potential successor to Marshal Yanda. This, along with the addition of a power back, would bolster the running attack significantly, and make Lamar’s transition to the NFL an easier one. This would open up several opportunities for RPOs, play action, quarterback run plays, and most importantly would open up the deep passing game. If Lamar can improve upon his deep ball mechanics, he might tear up the league starting next season with all of the weapons we have provided him. The key to a successful 2019 season is if we address this offensive line. Of course, this would also be the case if we retained Flacco, but I am not too sure that we do that.

Is it really a rebuild? No, but I see it more as a changing of the guard. The offensive identity is about to shift. Whatever it may be, the imperative steps this offseason are to retain Greg Roman, build up the trenches, and possibly another pass rusher as well. This would not truly be a full on "rebuild". The team fundamentally is the same, except the QB and bolstered offensive line. 2019 could be a promising start to the career of the man who may be the best quarterback in our history some day.

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
Great article. Im honestly really excited for the changing of the gaurd and Lamar matched with Decosta is the main reason.

However, i fear you underestimate how mich weddle has really regressed this season. Safetys are asked to do a bunch in todays NFL and i just dont thing Weddle has the physical attributes to match up with the size of TEs and the quickness of slot recievers. Unless he plays better after the bye i feel he could end up being a cap casualty especially if we let go of Harbs.

Biadasz is a great prospect but as a RS sophmore its hard for me to believe hed leave a program like wisconsin. If he does, we need to draft him.

On that note i really like Risner from KSU as the top oloneman in this class, he can play all 5 positions and is even a finalist for the Campbell trophy which will run well with our FO.

Lukas Denis S from BC is also anotger option should we replace Weddle. Hes got range for days and is a ball hawk on the back end, great tackler as well so he can really play any safety role on our defense.

All in all, i really think this team just needs to get younger and actually play young talent over veteran experience. Harbaugh has always had an issue of playing younger more talented players over vets and Brown vs Hurst is the prime example.

This team needs a change of identity with the way the NFL is shifting so players like BWill need to go or take a pay cut...we need to build offense over defense in todays NFL and we can still play and old school game with new school rules. Just build a great oline first. Lamar will help our running game but we need a top 5 offensive line if we want this to work and a backfeild that can compliment itself. Collins, Buck, and Ty are all fine but we need someone with explosion or power. I really like Harris and LJ Scott like you said and ill throw out a couple other names like Devin Singeltary and David Montgomery. Both these guys could be very productive at the next level

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
At the beginning of the article, you say Flacco is not the problem.

$25 mil a year should buy a team huge amount more than what he's producing. Stuff that he does on consistent basis after 10 years as a pro is just plain ridiculous.

He is a big problem. I'm just afraid that we won't be able to find the trade partner for him and that we won't want to carry his big 2019 dead cap, so unfortunately he might spend another year in Baltimore.

Tru11

Practice Squad
What exactly would suggest that flacco is an upgrade over trubisky at this point?

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
I've seen enough this season to know I'm not cutting Brandon Carr.
Idk Jesse James breaking Carr’s ankles really left a sour taste in my mouth lol. But you’re probably right his salary isn’t high enough to warrant getting rid of him

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Idk Jesse James breaking Carr’s ankles really left a sour taste in my mouth lol. But you’re probably right his salary isn’t high enough to warrant getting rid of him
his cap savings would only be 5m. I agree, due to the amount of cap we have next season, we may not need to cut him anyway.