• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Article Welcome to Baltimore Marlon Humphrey

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
Anyone else gets a Xavier Rhodes feeling?
I get quite the opposite.

Humphrey is a much cleaner run defender with no real issues with tackling (both things that Rhodes struggled with). Rhodes was much cleaner in press, almost always landing a good punch and disrupting the route and never loses balance. Humphrey is inconsistent with landing a punch and gets off balance in his backpedal (Alabama has no idea how to coach a tight, fluid motion for a backpedal). Rhodes was pretty good at turning to locate the ball. Humphrey only does this when he's actually inside the hip pocket of the receiver. Rhodes was not very strong in zone coverage, an area where Humphrey excels.

They're like polar opposites.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor

Humphrey is a much cleaner run defender with no real issues with tackling (both things that Rhodes struggled with). Rhodes was much cleaner in press, almost always landing a good punch and disrupting the route and never loses balance. Humphrey is inconsistent with landing a punch and gets off balance in his backpedal (Alabama has no idea how to coach a tight, fluid motion for a backpedal). Rhodes was pretty good at turning to locate the ball. Humphrey only does this when he's actually inside the hip pocket of the receiver. Rhodes was not very strong in zone coverage, an area where Humphrey excels.

i agree with his backpedal..

i think he's aware of this too. Deion sanders pointed it out during the drills at the combine. Go on youtube and type marlon humphrey combine..it's not long and you'll see where deion says '' thats not good at all''..

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
i agree with his backpedal..

i think he's aware of this too. Deion sanders pointed it out during the drills at the combine. Go on youtube and type marlon humphrey combine..it's not long and you'll see where deion says '' thats not good at all''..
That's a total Alabama issue, though. They all come out with loose, unpacked motions. That can be cleaned up.

It's amazing how a school with such a defensive genius mind is so poor at developing quality defensive backs.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter

Ok, wasn't actually into football when Rhodes was a prospect, but I think Humphrey's ceiling is quite close to where Rhodes is a right now.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
Ok, wasn't actually into football when Rhodes was a prospect, but I think Humphrey's ceiling is quite close to where Rhodes is a right now.
I think it could be entirely fair to say Rhodes is to press coverage as Humphrey is to zone coverage. That's fair.