• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Missed Tackles, the Injuries and the Special Teams

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
I agree. The approach doesn’t make sense and I’ve found myself scratching my head over the years.

Unless we are down (which is rare) we just seem to get up on a lead and shut everything down
The Ravens seemingly started to play "not to lose" instead of "playing to win" by playing hard until the final whistle blew. I'm from the old school. Regardless of the game we play (i.e., cards, checkers, chess, dominoes, monopoly, Madden, bowling, etc.) I'm going to try to beat you down and beat you down to break your spirit and to snatch your will to win. I don't ease up. I play to win; period! When I see that I have you beat-you are beat! That's my personality and temperament. That's why I get so pissed when I see the Ravens up 14-3, just to lose 33-31. That's inexcusable and pathetic to me! :cool:

Now, go beat the Bengals!

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Their D Line shut down our offense in the second half and Watson/their offense played just well enough to sneak a last minute win. I don't think it's indicative of any major problems with the Ravens.
Really? The Ravens lost to the Colts, the Steelers, and the Browns yesterday in a similar fashion of being up at least by 2 scores but unable to close out their opponents.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Not sure at all what happened on Lamar's first interception. I can't rationalize what he may have seen. Just... not a good throw. The second I can excuse because the offensive line was manhandled all game and it led directly to the tip. As soon as it got tipped, though, I was terrified. That rarely spells anything good.

only thing i can think is he got his clock absolutely cleaned on the sideline the previous play before he threw that awful pick

redrum52

Hall of Famer
only thing i can think is he got his clock absolutely cleaned on the sideline the previous play before he threw that awful pick

Not going to lie... this is what I was thinking too. Said in game thread I couldn't remember the last time I've seen hit like that, then very next play he did that dumb shit. And no, I don't think it should have been a flag on the hit.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
how many 2 score leads has this team capitulated with and lost over the last 2 seasons?
must be somewhat historic

Seems when this team really needs a clutch drive it can't find it, offensively or defensively. That said, the offense really seems to shit the bed in pressure moments.

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
I’m putting a fork in Ronnie Stanley . He done

We will be looking for another LT next year and corner in the draft ,etc.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I don’t know why but it felt like the Ravens were forcing the ball downfield too much in the 2nd half. Seems they abandoned the run and the quick wins underneath. It ended up being Lamar running for his life while routes developed and then forced it when there was nothing there.
It's more of an off-season discussion, but there's some serious issues with Lamar and throwing deep. It's a very low comp % probability anyway, but Lamar misses a LOT on deep throws.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Defense has been playing ridiculous basically all year, it’s been a long start to the season, they faced maybe the most physical offense in the league and the only defense competing with ours this season, this team is in dire need of a bye week to regroup, the week prior we shut out a superior offense and absolutely dominated them and rolled on offense, y’all always act like afc north matchups don’t play out crazy all the time. We might fuck around and get our heads kicked in this Thursday and then get our acts together after that.

Y’all are wild declaring this team not good enough to contend lol. Every team has issues and ugly weeks. Still a top 5 roster, elite qb, and quality coaching staff
Fully agree with the last part. Classic overreaction Monday.

Take a walk around the AFC. Just yesterday, Bengals got beat by Houston at home, and the Jags got thumped at home by SF. Steelers continue to look completely inept on offense. Miami hasn't beaten a good team this year, and KC has obvious flaws.

And yes, Cleveland is a good team. When Watson plays bad, they're average. When Watson plays pretty well, which he did yesterday, they're a top 3 team in the AFC. Would beat Miami. Would beat Jacksonville. On par with the Chiefs, Bengals, and Ravens.

We didn't play well. Got bullied. Were sloppy with the football. Had some significant in-game injuries. Got beat on a last second FG.

The alternative could be JAX, or DET, or SEA, which is when they don't play well, they get boat raced by 30.

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
It's more of an off-season discussion, but there's some serious issues with Lamar and throwing deep. It's a very low comp % probability anyway, but Lamar misses a LOT on deep throws.
He's afraid of getting picked. He needs to mentally take the next step.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
He's not even giving the wrs a chance on most the throws.
Fully agree with the last part. Classic overreaction Monday.

Take a walk around the AFC. Just yesterday, Bengals got beat by Houston at home, and the Jags got thumped at home by SF. Steelers continue to look completely inept on offense. Miami hasn't beaten a good team this year, and KC has obvious flaws.

And yes, Cleveland is a good team. When Watson plays bad, they're average. When Watson plays pretty well, which he did yesterday, they're a top 3 team in the AFC. Would beat Miami. Would beat Jacksonville. On par with the Chiefs, Bengals, and Ravens.

We didn't play well. Got bullied. Were sloppy with the football. Had some significant in-game injuries. Got beat on a last second FG.

The alternative could be JAX, or DET, or SEA, which is when they don't play well, they get boat raced by 30.
Would have loved to see the reaction around here if we got beat how we had been beating teams.

We tackle yesterday and that's a much different game. Fg isn't blocked who knows. Mitchell doesn't drop a dime. Lamar hits Zay. We recover that fumble.

People saying this game is like the other losses are wrong. We were simply beat today. DL got pushed around. From the start they were the more physical team and the game went on their DL took over. Felt like a solid 3 plays in a row late Mekari got worked something fierce. Trust this team to bounce back.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
He's not even giving the wrs a chance on most the throws.

Would have loved to see the reaction around here if we got beat how we had been beating teams.

We tackle yesterday and that's a much different game. Fg isn't blocked who knows. Mitchell doesn't drop a dime. Lamar hits Zay. We recover that fumble.

People saying this game is like the other losses are wrong. We were simply beat today. DL got pushed around. From the start they were the more physical team and the game went on their DL took over. Felt like a solid 3 plays in a row late Mekari got worked something fierce. Trust this team to bounce back.
There's two common denominators I saw in the three losses:
1. Sloppy with the football, with Lamar being at the forefront of that
2. Oline getting whooped by superior defensive fronts

The latter part is somewhat concerning, given that its happened multiple times. However they're not getting consistently beat, which is a good thing. And PIT and CLE, especially, have very strong defensive fronts.

Honestly beyond that the losses are sort of dissimilar. Steelers game was about dropped passes. Browns game was about getting dominated in the trenches on both sides of the ball and poor tackling.

Still focused on this season, but we've sort of run through the "gauntlet" of what areas need upgrades for next season. Started the year with Corners, then we moved to RBs, now we're onto Oline.

Oline is a big ? for me going into next season. Both Guards are FAs. Stanley could be out if they think he can't return to form from his injuries. Moses is getting older and would seem to be an obvious cap casualty with Mekari and Faalele cheaper and on the roster.
Lot of things can change in that group.

Seems when this team really needs a clutch drive it can't find it, offensively or defensively. That said, the offense really seems to shit the bed in pressure moments.
They failed on 3 of their final 4 possessions yesterday when our D really needed a rest. We just gotta find ways to finish games.

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
There's two common denominators I saw in the three losses:
1. Sloppy with the football, with Lamar being at the forefront of that
2. Oline getting whooped by superior defensive fronts

The latter part is somewhat concerning, given that its happened multiple times. However they're not getting consistently beat, which is a good thing. And PIT and CLE, especially, have very strong defensive fronts.

Honestly beyond that the losses are sort of dissimilar. Steelers game was about dropped passes. Browns game was about getting dominated in the trenches on both sides of the ball and poor tackling.

Still focused on this season, but we've sort of run through the "gauntlet" of what areas need upgrades for next season. Started the year with Corners, then we moved to RBs, now we're onto Oline.

Oline is a big ? for me going into next season. Both Guards are FAs. Stanley could be out if they think he can't return to form from his injuries. Moses is getting older and would seem to be an obvious cap casualty with Mekari and Faalele cheaper and on the roster.
Lot of things can change in that group.
Offensive Line is the biggest need next year. Stanley is done. Zietler and Moses are getting long in the tooth. It will need to be revamped.