• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Next Up: Bye Week

Simba

Staff Member
Very much needed at this point. Need to get some of the banged up guys some rest. We’ve put it a lot of air miles to this point too. Reset, regroup, and get after it.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
this is a much needed bye week purely for the process of coach self-evaluation
look at the season and what's not been working and take that shit out of the playbook

quick stuff = good
lots of screens = not so good

short-to-intermediate passing game = effective
deep passing game = nonexistent/terrible

need to look at running more outside zone, especially from under center - mitchell looks like he's a threat to house one like once a quarter

Sooky

Pro Bowler
I’m convinced any team wearing a Ravens jersey cannot properly run a screen. This dates back as long as I can remember

Simba

Staff Member
I’m convinced any team wearing a Ravens jersey cannot properly run a screen. This dates back as long as I can remember
We’ve had some effective ones this year which is good but I’m not sure why we keep going to that well when the win percentage of that play as a whole is still quite low.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
This defense is good enough. Ultimately it's just a matter of the offense, the STs, and the coaching.

Unfortunately the last 3 have been highly sus

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Thanks for beating me to the punch, @rossihunter2 LMAO.

I'd like to use this thread as an in-season review to this point.

Offense:
-I'm pleased to see Lamar take command of this offense. I think it's safe to say, just using the eye test, it's the best we've seen him since his MVP season.
-Gus is what Gus is, nothing more, nothing less. Don't get me started on Hill, but it was only a matter of time where we started to use the preseason playmaker aka Mr. Keaton Mitchell. You can see the potential with him.
-Speaking of playmakers, shout out to Zay! He may not win #OROY but he too is a difference maker. OBJ has caught on these last couple of weeks so hopefully this is the trend going forward. Would like to see more of Bateman too, but we'll see.
-Andrews was doing well before his season ender. What a confidence booster for Likely. If there was ever an opportunity to make a name for himself, it's now.
-OL has been a mixed bag. It's not a surprise how their performance determines our performance on offense as a whole. Ronnie Stanley. Sir, it's clear that you won't ever be the stud you once were. As such, the earliest offseason we get to replace your ass, we will thank you for your service. Linderbaum for the vast majority of this season has been him (word to Brother @JAAM ).
-Despite his issues (including tonight), I definitely prefer Monken to Roman. As I mentioned to rossi, get rid of the roll outs to the right, screens, and end-arounds/jet sweeps.

Defense:
-If Mads ain't extended by this offseason, I want EDC in cuffs for criminal negligence. As for this front 7, I'm beyond baffled that we lead the league in sacks despite leading the league in almost sacks for like 5 seasons in a row it seems. Something about this organization makes older defensive players turn back the clock on some fountain of youth type of shit. Clowney and KVN are the latest examples of this.
-Roquan and PQ. What a tandem. This may be PQ's last season with us depending on what we do in the offseason and if it's the case, best endeavors to him on his future team (preferably an NFC team).
-After the draft was over, one of the main topics of discussion was the secondary. Prior to the season, I had questions about Stephens. Needless to say, he has quieted the doubts about him for the vast majority of the season. Prior to his calf injury, Marlon has continued playing like Marlon after getting sonned by Pickens again. RYS and Darby have also played admirably as well.
-Saving the safeties for last. MW can still show how much of a stud he is despite playing with one arm it seems. However, I have concerns about that coming to haunt us down the road. Geno Stone has been a sensational story. I would've laughed in your face if you told me prior to the beginning of the season that at some point that he would lead the league in INTs (not sure if he still is). Last but certainly not least: Kyle Hamilton. I don't even know where to begin with him. Coming off a impressive rookie season, he has blossomed to a foundational piece of this defense. He too is HIM.
-Mike Macdonald has truly been in his bag making this defense one of the best in the league despite missing Marlon and MW for a few games this season. While the infamous and dreaded 2022 Ravens defense has shown itself this season in spades, it's not AS MUCH as this season.

QtR Nevermore

Pro Bowler
this is a much needed bye week purely for the process of coach self-evaluation
look at the season and what's not been working and take that shit out of the playbook

quick stuff = good
lots of screens = not so good

short-to-intermediate passing game = effective
deep passing game = nonexistent/terrible

need to look at running more outside zone, especially from under center - mitchell looks like he's a threat to house one like once a quarter
Another play that needs work is the quick pass to Zay on the line of scrimmage. It's been a 3-4 yard play at best all season with a lot of lost yardage in the mix too.

If they're going to stick with it, they need to find another way of getting to it, by using motion or alignment to hide him a little.

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
Another play that needs work is the quick pass to Zay on the line of scrimmage. It's been a 3-4 yard play at best all season with a lot of lost yardage in the mix too.

If they're going to stick with it, they need to find another way of getting to it, by using motion or alignment to hide him a little.
Besides the time it went for a TD but was called back