• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2024 NFL Draft Gameday Thread

What position will the first pick be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
i would love for us to pick a faller - just get value at 30 and worry about the rest tomorrow and saturday...

dejean or newton would be super exciting
even chop would be super exciting

my excitement about OL would entirely depend on who it is
I've learned to relax about "needs" with this team. If they really feel like they have some holes, they'll get a veteran on July 21st. They draft for depth and value. And I'm cool with sound processing like that.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
only reason he's not the undisputed number 1 corner is his weight and how that impacts him coming downhill to make plays on the ball carrier
And I don’t frequently see him struggling in that regard either. That dude brings the noise when he comes downhill

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I've learned to relax about "needs" with this team. If they really feel like they have some holes, they'll get a veteran on July 21st. They draft for depth and value. And I'm cool with sound processing like that.
Same. Give me the best player. That said I’d prefer it’s not another off ball LB or RB.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
they loved forbes last year
clearly if you're a good enough athlete and playmaker, they'll overlook some weight issues - he's not short or lacking length... just sand in his pants
I also loved Forbes. Apparently that one shouldn’t give us much confidence. I haven’t watched Forbes rookie film but I hear he was god awful

Simba

Staff Member
QB love getting strong this morning. A lot of the heavy hitters are starting to put all 6 in the 1st round which would be great for us. As usual, smoke screen or nah? To be determined.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I also loved Forbes. Apparently that one shouldn’t give us much confidence. I haven’t watched Forbes rookie film but I hear he was god awful

but i dont think that necessarily changes the process - they loved him, just because he was drafted into a defence that literally changed scheme and put him in positions that werent his strength as a rookie, shouldnt change how they feel about that evaluation necessarily

maybe it comes into play, but forbes isnt failing right now because he's undersized...

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Agreed. However, I don't think it's widely acknowledged enough among Ravens fans how heavily need factors into their board.

With the exception of the Hamilton/Linderbaum draft, from Hurst in 18, through Hollywood, Queen, Bateman, Oweh and Zay the Ravens have picked their most pressing need(s) in the 1st every time.
There's no question they stack their board based on what they want to address. If Drake Maye fell to pick #30, we wouldn't draft him, regardless of how the media views "who the best player is". He wouldn't be on our Board, regardless.

The point is "need" implies a team focuses on a single position group. We have pretty much never done that. This team has plenty of "needs". It's just not necessarily going to take the biggest need, because that's how you end up selecting a player who isn't good at a position you need. Which ultimately doesn't solve any of your problems.

Plus, again, in my opinion, I'm not sure Tackle is the most pressing "need" to begin with.

Simba

Staff Member
been seeing a lot of insiders think that we're gonna see 5 for sure (penix getting a ton of pop) and maybe even 6

as you say, every QB that goes before 30 helps
And you aren’t burning yourself as a GM if you take a QB in the mid-late 1st. Just as easy to miss on any other position there.

QtR Nevermore

Pro Bowler
There's no question they stack their board based on what they want to address. If Drake Maye fell to pick #30, we wouldn't draft him, regardless of how the media views "who the best player is". He wouldn't be on our Board, regardless.

The point is "need" implies a team focuses on a single position group. We have pretty much never done that. This team has plenty of "needs". It's just not necessarily going to take the biggest need, because that's how you end up selecting a player who isn't good at a position you need. Which ultimately doesn't solve any of your problems.

Plus, again, in my opinion, I'm not sure Tackle is the most pressing "need" to begin with.
I get the theory and I agree with it, but the Ravens have taken their single biggest position of need (or the top 2 needs in 2020) in 5 of the last 6 drafts.

I think that points very strongly to them taking OL, DB or a faller tonight.

Simba

Staff Member
I get the theory and I agree with it, but the Ravens have taken their single biggest position of need (or the top 2 needs in 2020) in 5 of the last 6 drafts.

I think that points very strongly to them taking OL, DB or a faller tonight.
It's bigger than that though. This is a team that has nearly always plugged holes (or at least know they can post-draft) at weaker positions in the draft so that the board stacks up to where they can take a position of need that also happens to be BPA. Like if we did not sign Henry, RB would be arguably the biggest need. They wouldn't take a RB because it's the biggest hole. They knew it was a weaker class so they moved to fill that first so the stronger positions in this class (e.g. OL, CB, WR) are most likely to be BPA when they're up.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
saw people pigeon-hole him as being a business decision guy at CB because of his weight and i didnt see that on film at all - saw a guy that competes
Seriously that’s contrived based on weight and nothing more. If anything I’d encourage more business decisions from him because I wouldn’t wanna see that mf hitting nick chubb the way he hits any of these college players.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
been seeing a lot of insiders think that we're gonna see 5 for sure (penix getting a ton of pop) and maybe even 6

as you say, every QB that goes before 30 helps
Every single draft there are round 2 qbs getting top 20 hype, and round 3 qbs getting late first hype.

It’s the smokiest screen there is, every single year. I buy none of it. I’m calling 4 qbs in the first round

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
it wont be lol - only guy it could conceivably be like that is edgerrin cooper but the reason he'd be high on the board is because he offers value as a pass rusher
I watched his highlights yesterday, first time ever taking a glimpse at the dude, I havent watched enough to be sold but if the ravens did go that route, then I’d be convinced that he’s a pass rusher.

The man is an absolute missile and blockers just whiff on him. Would like to see better form tackling though and less shoulder pops

Last edited:

QtR Nevermore

Pro Bowler
It's bigger than that though. This is a team that has nearly always plugged holes (or at least know they can post-draft) at weaker positions in the draft so that the board stacks up to where they can take a position of need that also happens to be BPA. Like if we did not sign Henry, RB would be arguably the biggest need. They wouldn't take a RB because it's the biggest hole. They knew it was a weaker class so they moved to fill that first so the stronger positions in this class (e.g. OL, CB, WR) are most likely to be BPA when they're up.
That's true too. Though sadly, the whole league does that these days and apparently everyone's wanting an OT in this draft. I miss the days when 70% of GMs were idiots.