• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Welcome to Baltimore: Roger Rosengarten

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Athletic with good hands.

A guy who we may well think has RT/LT versatility. Moved to RT to protect Penix's blindside.

A little light in the pants and has some aggressive tendencies that have got him in trouble. But he's a rangy pass protector with good recovery skills.

Seems like a signifier of a slight change in style at OT... or alternatively he's someone we think could potentially be a starter at RT in year 1 and then maybe be a Ronnie Stanley replacement for 2025.

Simba

Staff Member
All in all, Rosengarten seems like a good fit for the future of this OL. The offensive philosophy has shifted to guys that can operate in space. More zone concepts. More pulling. Roger is super athletic. I still have concerns about the functional strength but that’s something that can be improved. I expect he’s a day 1 starter at RT with an eye to see how he improves over the year as a potential LT option next year.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I’m all in on this one. I’m gonna reserve my judgements til year 2/3 because I think he needs to get stronger without question, but he’s actually a really exciting addition, linderbaum and Rosengarten make for an impressive tandem of athletes on the OL, I like this philosophy shift

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I’m all in on this one. I’m gonna reserve my judgements til year 2/3 because I think he needs to get stronger without question, but he’s actually a really exciting addition, linderbaum and Rosengarten make for an impressive tandem of athletes on the OL, I like this philosophy shift

Also feel like when you’re picking at the end of the rounds, it’s better to compromise on strength than on feet

You can get guys bigger and stronger but it’s difficult to change how light someone’s feet are

Tyre Phillips was like the philosophical opposite of this pick and I’m much happier with Rosengarten than Phillips

Also just generally excited to have taken an OL with a 2nd round pick… we haven’t done that since KO in 2012

52520Andrew

Pro Bowler
I do like Rosengarten, wasn’t sold on some of the talk he was a 1st rounder but he has some interesting potential. Definitely shorter arms and you want him to hit the weight room to build some strength. That said I did like his senior bowl and the Michigan game that everyone complains about only really got bad towards the end for me. It was weird because he went against the same guys at the senior bowl and took care of business just after that game as well.

Washington apparently had them kick out wide on their pass pro sets which could explain why he seems to overset on tape a lot. Apparently Fautanu did similar stuff.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I do like Rosengarten, wasn’t sold on some of the talk he was a 1st rounder but he has some interesting potential. Definitely shorter arms and you want him to hit the weight room to build some strength. That said I did like his senior bowl and the Michigan game that everyone complains about only really got bad towards the end for me. It was weird because he went against the same guys at the senior bowl and took care of business just after that game as well.

Washington apparently had them kick out wide on their pass pro sets which could explain why he seems to overset on tape a lot. Apparently Fautanu did similar stuff.
If it was indeed a scheme thing that had him overset laterally in pass pro, then that’s a huge relief, because 2 games i watched, I was cringing at how vulnerable he left his inside to counters.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Think it’s partly over aggression tbh
He does “go get” blocks and it’s not always for the best.

I think he’s got a really impressive base skillset for coaches to work with. Shades of Charles cross. I do think he’s got crucial work to do before he’s starter ready, I don’t wanna see him on money downs vs edge rushers who study tendencies until he learns to correct these things.