• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Welcome to Baltimore: Devontez Walker

Simba

Staff Member
Downfield threat and a guy that can operate as an X, which is something we're sorely missing. Not sure he becomes anything more than a rotational guy if he can't clean up the routes and hands, but he'll make some plays in his opportunities.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Was Tez Maye’s #1?

Simba

Staff Member
Went back to catch his Zoom call during the lull and I can see why they liked him. Very well spoken and seems like a good kid overall. His excitement felt like something people would gravitate towards.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
New Ravens WR Devontez Walker on battling new Ravens CB Nate Wiggins in college:

“He’s a very good player. Honestly, he was probably the best player I ever went against. He was very fluid in his technique. Very fast. He was one of the few guys that was hip for hip with me. I’m glad to be able to compete against him every day in practice.”

Guy is a freak with a crazy broad jump and vertical. I think his best trait is his high waisted easy long strides, dudes makes distance QUICK, best skill might be deep ball tracking.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I like this kid already. This is from the Beast by Dane Brugler

Walker’s grandmother (Loretta Black) required multiple surgeries on her hip and knee, and Walker served as her primary caregiver for several months while he was in high school.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Can Walker beat press? It's obvious if you play him soft, he'll kill you. But from a short look without watching old games I didn't see any highlight with him beating someone off the line. Also really needs to learn to be a hands catcher. Great value in the 4th, just need to actually develop him. Wish we still had dubb

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Can Walker beat press? It's obvious if you play him soft, he'll kill you. But from a short look without watching old games I didn't see any highlight with him beating someone off the line. Also really needs to learn to be a hands catcher. Great value in the 4th, just need to actually develop him. Wish we still had dubb

barely had to face any press because he was too fast for college CBs

generally he's got not much route running nuance or chops at all, that includes beating guys off the line vs press - that's why he's available on day 3

the hands was my big concern with him

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
barely had to face any press because he was too fast for college CBs

generally he's got not much route running nuance or chops at all, that includes beating guys off the line vs press - that's why he's available on day 3

the hands was my big concern with him
He actually has very little experience playing football. If he's willing to work hard he might be a great player in 2 or 3 years.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
He actually has very little experience playing football. If he's willing to work hard he might be a great player in 2 or 3 years.

certainly the most exciting talent we've drafted at WR outside of day 1 for a while...

definitely more talented coming out than tylan, duv and proche for sure

maybe miles boykin, but if not then it's probably torrey smith...

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
It is true that his route running needs more refineman as it wasn't crisp in 2023. That being said he was better in 2022 with much crisper routes. Not sure what happened with the drop off. I agree it's too bad we don't have Dubb anymore, but I think if we use him at his strength he will be a good receiver for us.

Watch his tape when he was at Kent State in 2022. He looked like the best player on the field. They started off the season against Washington, Oklahoma and Georgia.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
It is true that his route running needs more refineman as it wasn't crisp in 2023. That being said he was better in 2022 with much crisper routes. Not sure what happened with the drop off. I agree it's too bad we don't have Dubb anymore, but I think if we use him at his strength he will be a good receiver for us.

Watch his tape when he was at Kent State in 2022. He looked like the best player on the field. They started off the season against Washington, Oklahoma and Georgia.

i dont necessarily have a problem with his "crispness" per se - it's more that i dont see him running routes at all much - he's relied on just being faster than everyone else and hasnt got much in his toolkit right now as a route runner

it's possible that Dubb is a big loss - will have to hope Greg Lewis is the guy

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
i dont necessarily have a problem with his "crispness" per se - it's more that i dont see him running routes at all much - he's relied on just being faster than everyone else and hasnt got much in his toolkit right now as a route runner

forgot we had Greg Lewis.

Have you had a chance to watch his tape when he was at Kent State....particularly the games vs Washington, Oklahoma and Georgia. I'm wondering if we would have taken Franklin if he was available at our pick though. Depends on if these domestic violance accusations are real.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
forgot we had Greg Lewis.

Have you had a chance to watch his tape when he was at Kent State....particularly the games vs Washington, Oklahoma and Georgia. I'm wondering if we would have taken Franklin if he was available at our pick though. Depends on if these domestic violance accusations are real.

ive seen the georgia game - didnt see much route running in it
saw a dude who was athletically giving georgia problems but not with any technicality

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor

I watched the Steve Smith video about Tez and thought the same thing. Wished we had Keith Will here for 1 more year. Wouldve been nice for Tez's development.