• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Welcome to Baltimore: TJ Tampa

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
Hopefully his long ass arms / length makes up for that hundredths of a second ala KHam.

This is probably my 2nd favorite pick. I really wanted to double up on OL by the end of the 4th, but the value here is too good.
Besides, this move gets us 1 step closer to ripping that #5 jersey off JAD. Cant stand that blasphemy.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
After a lot of thought I think Tampa & Wiggins are the two most important picks we made. I know we all want to solve the OL issues and get a stud WR but I think solving our secondary was a lowkey critical need. Having potentially 4 deep in CBs is a huge boon and helps insulate for injury too. I’m pretty happy with this and I think looking back it’s a great move. Tampa especially excites me because of his attitude.

Breakdown from James Ogden

IMG_8648.jpeg

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
This is probably the most intriguing pick for me because the analysts were all baffled by his fall until he was finally picked. In theory, this could represent amazing value.

However, I'm usually of the mindset that if a player falls, teams generally have a reason. A player being taken higher than expected is a conscious choice by one team, but a player falling almost 90 picks from the big board spot is a collective decision by 32 teams. That doesn't mean he can't be a great pro, of course.

This is one where I'm very cautiously optimistic and based on reports, I wonder if he potentially takes over a Geno Stone role.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
This is probably the most intriguing pick for me because the analysts were all baffled by his fall until he was finally picked. In theory, this could represent amazing value.

However, I'm usually of the mindset that if a player falls, teams generally have a reason. A player being taken higher than expected is a conscious choice by one team, but a player falling almost 90 picks from the big board spot is a collective decision by 32 teams. That doesn't mean he can't be a great pro, of course.

This is one where I'm very cautiously optimistic and based on reports, I wonder if he potentially takes over a Geno Stone role.
I’m hoping he is another Orlando Brown

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

I liked what I saw on tape this summer. He used to play WR as well.

I could see him in the Geno Stone role as well but he's much more physical than Stone.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

i genuinely think it's just the 40 time and the deep speed

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
I’m hoping he is another Orlando Brown
Ultimately, the combine concerns have shown themselves to be legitimate concerns outside of Baltimore (struggles with speed and agility), but I do hope he's similar in the sense that he performs above expectations because the team finds a way to use him in a role that highlights his strengths and minimizes weaknesses.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
i genuinely think it's just the 40 time and the deep speed
I do think testing numbers are over emphasized by the media and I can't imagine it was solely the 40. There are slower cornerbacks that have excelled (immediately coming to mind because he was a WR convert, too, is Richard Sherman.) But, admittedly, it is pretty important to have a requisite level of straight line speed against wide receivers and if that was really the biggest reason, I do trust the Ravens to find a role where he excels and isn't asked to run vertically too often.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
But this is a genuine question for people who have extensively watched him- what's your opinion on the cornerback vs safety debate?

Simba

Staff Member
But this is a genuine question for people who have extensively watched him- what's your opinion on the cornerback vs safety debate?
CB first, S if it doesn't work out. I like the instincts enough that I think he could do fairly well with the play in front of him more often than not, but I'm generally against moving a guy from CB without seeing if he can hack it first.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

I didn’t see safety when I watched him
Looked like a corner to me - although ironically the way he uses his length reminded me of Hamilton somewhat (but hamilton’s not what I’d typically picture as a safety either lol)

To me he’s a boundary corner or big nickel option - I like him in cover 2 and cover 3 heavy defences… not sure he’d have been the ravens flavour when wink was here

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
CB first, S if it doesn't work out. I like the instincts enough that I think he could do fairly well with the play in front of him more often than not, but I'm generally against moving a guy from CB without seeing if he can hack it first.

I didn’t see safety when I watched him
Looked like a corner to me - although ironically the way he uses his length reminded me of Hamilton somewhat (but hamilton’s not what I’d typically picture as a safety either lol)

To me he’s a boundary corner or big nickel option - I like him in cover 2 and cover 3 heavy defences… not sure he’d have been the ravens flavour when wink was here
Based off of what Simba just said, my immediate thought went to a Cover 3 defense, which is obviously where Sherman made his money (big, long, slower WR convert to CB... the similarities are piling up...)

Obviously, I have zero idea if he's even remotely close to Sherman as a prospect or projects to be that good, but everything I've read about him as basically been along the lines of what you two have said-

Long, good at the catch point, strong hands.

I do have to wonder, though- Wiggins projects into a heavy man heavy defense and it seems like Tampa might operate best in a zone heavy defense. I wonder how they'll reconcile the stylistic differences.

Either way, I'm excited for Wiggins and Tampa.