• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Curious Case of the Baltimore Ravens

Ludy51

Hall of Famer
4th and 9, 4th and 12, 3rd and 18.

Time and time again it seems that the Ravens defense just can’t get a stop where it counts. No matter the down or distance when the game’s on the line you can count on this unit to crumble. This has been the narrative for several years now, whether under Dean Pees or Don Martindale the same mistakes seem to happen repeatedly. “Why is the Ravens defense so unclutch?” many fans have been asking themselves. However, in my discussions with other fans I noticed something interesting. Every single person I talked to thought that their team’s defense was the biggest chokers come clutch time. So it prompted me to look a little deeper. How does the ravens 3rd and 4th down defense stack up to a defense like, say, the Bears? And what I found was extremely interesting.

(Source for stats: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/chi/2018_opp_splits.htm#all_down_distance_splits

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/rav/2018_opp_splits.htm)

Let’s take a look first at 3rd and short situations, commonly seen as 1-4 yards away.

Ravens

35 Attempts, 1.83 Average Yards to Gain, 3.31 Average Yards Gained

Bears

52 Attempts, 1.69 Average Yards to Gain, 3.27 Average Yards Gained

So what does this mean? Well The Bears have forced more 3rd and shorts than the Ravens where the needed yardage is less and they allow basically the same amount of yards. The rules make it hard to stop any Offense with this down and distance so this isn’t really all that meaningful.

But what happens when we move the sticks back a bit? Who does better when the distance is 4-6 yards?

Ravens

46 Attempts, 5.04 Average Yards To Gain, 2.50 Average Yards Gained

Bears

44 Attempts, 5.00 Average Yards To Gain, 7.48 Average Yards Gained

Now this is a bit more interesting. Almost the same attempts, for the same distance and a MASSIVE gainage difference. Basically 5 yards, and this is where defenses have a much better chance of making a stop. Let’s see it broken down by a Pass/Run ratio.

Ravens

Rushing: 4 Attempts, 3 Yards, 0.8 Y/A, 0 First Downs

Passing: 21/35, 112 Yards, 3.2 Y/A, 15 First Downs

Bears

Rushing: 2 Attempts, 3 Yards, 1.5 Y/A, 0 First Downs

Passing: 25/42, 326 Yards, 7.8 Y/A, 18 First Downs

So we now know that it’s passing, not running that converts in these situations on both D’s. But the Bears have almost triple the amount of allowed yardage on only 7 more pass attempts! Not a great sign for the Bears but an interesting point for the Ravens 3rd and Medium defense.

Now we get to the big one. 3rd and 7-9 is the Ravens supposed “Choke Zone” But do the numbers match up with perception? Let’s see.

Ravens

39 Attempts, 7.87 Average Yards To Gain, 5.92 Average Yards Gained

Bears

36 Attempts, 8.08 Average Yards To Gain, 1.83 Average Yards Gained

Wow. Before we touch that 1.83 number for the Bears, let’s see how the results look on average for the Ravens

16 Conversions allowed, 39 attempted

100/39=2.56

2.56X16=40.96%

So the Ravens allow a 3rd and 7-9 conversion 41% of the time, that’s tied with Dallas for 26th in the league. Their overall 3rd down %? 34.5%. So if you’re looking to convert a 3rd down you’d best look to get in that range, because it’s by far their lowest.

Let’s check that same rate for the Bears.

8 Conversions Allowed, 36 attempted

100/36=2.78%

2.78X8=22.24%

Much stronger for the Bears

But taking a step back, how in the world are the Bears allowing only 1.83 yards on 3rd and 7-9!?!? That’s a crazy number. The closest I could find after was the Bills and they still allowed 2.81 on those plays!

But anyway, back to the point of the article. Now we move to the crazy distance 3rd and 10+.

Ravens

59 Attempts, 12.69 (nice) Average Yards To Gain, 4.58 Average Yards Gained

Bears

49 Attempts, 14.08 Average Yards To Gain, 5.29 Average Yards Gained

So the Ravens force more 3rd and 10+’s and allow fewer yards when they come up. But what’s the conversion rate?

11 conversions allowed 59 attempted

100/59=1.69%

1.69X11=18.59%

That’s more like it. Ande the Bears?

10 Conversions Allowed, 49 Attempted

100/49=2.04%

2.04X10=20.4%

A bit worse, but still within expected ranges.

But enough about 3rd down, the true measure of a defense is how they stand when possession of the football is on the line. 4th down and 1-4, the ultimate Man Vs Man challenge. WHat are the numbers?

Ravens

11 Attempts, 1.45 Average Yards To Gain, 4.82 Average Yards Gained

Bears

12 attempts, 1.33 Average Yards To Gain, 5.50 Average Yards Gained

Yikes. Well apparently the answer is... Not well. Similar attempts, similar yards and both aren’t making many stops.

But again, those short yardage situations aren’t exactly favorable to the defense. How about we look at a fairer scenario. 4th and 4-6.

Ravens

2 Attempts, 5.50 Average Yards To Gain, 0 Average Yards Gained

Bears

3 Attempts, 5.00 Average Yards To Gain, -1.00 Average Yards Gained

That’s more like it! Defenses standing tall when asked. Neither Defense allowing positive yards on average when given a better chance. Funnily enough, the Bears have actually allowed a first down on a 4th and 6. It was a 9 yard completion by the Lions. But the sample size is so small the averages get screwed up because of a 12 yard sack against the Rams.

But here’s the real issue for the team in question. 4th and 7-9. This is what has killed the Ravens year-in and year-out. How do the numbers look this year?

Ravens

4 Attempts, 8.00 Average Yards To Gain, 14 Average Yards gained

Abysmal. The only word to describe those numbers. Just terrible. And the split isn’t any better

Rushing: 1 Attempt, 0 Yards

Passing: 2/3, 56 Yards, 28 Y/A, 2 First Downs

So even without the Mahomes to Hill pass from last week they still allowed a conversion on the other pass on 4th-and-7-9 this season! Ugh, and the Bears?

Bears

2 Attempts, 8.00 Average Yards To Gain, 3.50 Average Yards Gained

That’s what it SHOULD look like. And the Bears have allowed a conversion on a pass this year, the fake punt by the Rams, But that has the excuse of surprise at the very least.

But what about the extreme distances? 4th and 10+ should never be converted against any defense. How has it looked this year?

Ravens

1 Attempt, 10 Average Yards To Gain, 0 Average Yards Gained

Bears

5 Attempts, 12.80 Average Yards To Gain, 3.20 Average Yards Gained

I was more surprised to learn that the Bears had forced FIVE 4th and 10 attempts this year, and have actually allowed one to convert! But otherwise it’s exactly what you’d expect.

So what does this show? Well it seems like on key 3rd and 4th downs neither team is any more clutch or indeed un-clutch than the other. Outside of a handful of plays on both sides it seems all of the fans were correct. Every team is full of chokers! Also the Ravens and Bears are both really good defenses.

TL;DR: Ravens don’t choke any more or less than other teams in the league, outside of extreme “Game on the line” scenarios.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
Nice work. Only problem is this is the work of a whole game not nessassarily the game on the line. Id be curious to know what the 4th qtr stats were and plus I feel anyways like our D has played way better this year than under Pees whose numbers have to be worse.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Actually the TLDR should say: the 2 best defenses in the league, one allows far more 4th and 5-10 conversion than the other, which shows exactly why the ravens are considered unclutch

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
Peyton Manning got way too much shit. Dude lost a playoff game his team never punted in. Those teams were hard carried by Manning and it showed when he got hurt.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Peyton Manning got way too much shit. Dude lost a playoff game his team never punted in. Those teams were hard carried by Manning and it showed when he got hurt.
Peyton had a knack for throwing picks in crucial moments. His pick to Corey graham in OT was inexcusable, his pick in the super bowl was purely on him, either he misread the defender or he tried to force the play.

But yes, his defense shit the bed too many times, and it’s unfortunate for his legacy, however... his 06-07 super bowl run was one of his worst playoff performances and his defense randomly stepped up to levels unheard of, they were ass all year and then in the playoffs they were absolutely dominant and Peyton was pretty average. It’s almost like the ravens, where our defense is historically dominant and our offense sucks, then in a rare year where our defense is average our offense steps up to unstoppable levels for 4 games to win it all.

Which always makes me laugh when I hear the moniker "The Architect" applied to Bill Polian. A franchise that spent well over a decade whiffing on top 3 picks finally hit the jackpot. Maybe he deserved credit with the Bills - but Indy? What is his claim to fame? Determining that Manning was the better option than Ryan Leaf? Well, congratulations.

Other than that, the team they surrounded Manning with was really sub-par. A couple solid guys over the course of many years - James, Saturday and Freeney - but otherwise never really built the kind of team that was going to dominate in the way a team should with Manning at the helm.

Indy still makes me sick - run by that tragic clown family. You can note that I never refer to them by the name of the team, but by their city. They will never be the Colts ... they will always just be Indy.

They hit the jackpot on Manning and then perfect timing on Manning's injury and the team's obvious tanking to get Luck. It was good to see Manning go elsewhere and win a championship to give the big FUCK YOU to Irsay for his disrespectful commentary after letting him go. Still waiting for that multiple championship run you were going to go on, Jimmy boy, after getting rid of that washed up bum.

Not that I'm still bitter ... lol

Peyton had a knack for throwing picks in crucial moments. His pick to Corey graham in OT was inexcusable, his pick in the super bowl was purely on him, either he misread the defender or he tried to force the play.

But yes, his defense shit the bed too many times, and it’s unfortunate for his legacy, however... his 06-07 super bowl run was one of his worst playoff performances and his defense randomly stepped up to levels unheard of, they were ass all year and then in the playoffs they were absolutely dominant and Peyton was pretty average. It’s almost like the ravens, where our defense is historically dominant and our offense sucks, then in a rare year where our defense is average our offense steps up to unstoppable levels for 4 games to win it all.
I place that loss squarely on John Fox. If they didn't have a pussy for a coach, I don't think Peyton ever gets to the point where that pick is thrown. 3rd and 7 - you let Manning drop back and if a receiver is there - he hits him and the game is over. If not, he takes a sack and gives up 5-6 yards of pretty much meaningless field position and we still need to use a TO. Nah, lets run an RB dive for 2 yards.

Even after the miracle - I'm still all nerves knowing a FG is very possible with 26 seconds and 2 time outs. Nah - lets take a knee. THANK YOU!!!

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

The Colts defense was always much better with Bob Sanders on the field

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I place that loss squarely on John Fox. If they didn't have a pussy for a coach, I don't think Peyton ever gets to the point where that pick is thrown. 3rd and 7 - you let Manning drop back and if a receiver is there - he hits him and the game is over. If not, he takes a sack and gives up 5-6 yards of pretty much meaningless field position and we still need to use a TO. Nah, lets run an RB dive for 2 yards.

Even after the miracle - I'm still all nerves knowing a FG is very possible with 26 seconds and 2 time outs. Nah - lets take a knee. THANK YOU!!!
Oh I know, but Peyton rolled out to his right and threw across his body in the second possession of OT in their own territory, that’s inexcusable.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer

At the end of the game, yes - it's on Fox.
Throughout the game though, Champ Bailey all the way. It wouldn't have been even close if not for two (!!) return touchdowns.