• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Playmaking Defender

Filmstudy

Staff Member
Filmstudy
Writer
The Ravens have a WLB they could sign for 2019 for approximately $6 Million who is currently wallowing in relative anonymity for a contending team and has:

89 Tackles
9 Sacks
21 QHs
12 TFL
2 INTs
10 PDs
3 FF
0 FR

Assuming Mosley s resigned, this guy could play every snap next to him.

Now before I prejudice the discussion with his name or age, does it make sense for the Ravens to sign a star veteran to a 1-year "prove it" deal when they may be rebuilding? Or is his production too good to pass up in a season where a number of the Ravens defenders are coming to the end of their rookie deals?

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
The Ravens have a WLB they could sign for 2019 for approximately $6 Million who is currently wallowing in relative anonymity for a contending team and has:

89 Tackles
9 Sacks
21 QHs
12 TFL
2 INTs
10 PDs
3 FF
0 FR

Now before I prejudice the discussion with his name or age, does it make sense for the Ravens to sign a star veteran to a 1-year "prove it" deal when they may be rebuilding? Or is his production too good to pass up in a season where a number of the Ravens defenders are coming to the end of their rookie deals?
Rebuilding or not, if close to that kind of production can be replicated for $6mil, this guy would be worth every penny.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

89 Tackles
9 Sacks
21 QHs
12 TFL
2 INTs
10 PDs
3 FF
0 FR

I read this in your writup, but I’ve been waiting for the answer on who it is. I would take a chance on him, depending on what the issues are, of course.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor

89 Tackles
9 Sacks
21 QHs
12 TFL
2 INTs
10 PDs
3 FF
0 FR

I’ll take him. Why do I feel like this is a hypothetical? What stand up LB has 9 sacks?

Last edited:

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
The only missing number here is age because that is a very important number plus in theory the Ravens have tons of LBs who they need to see if they have it already.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
The only missing number here is age because that is a very important number plus in theory the Ravens have tons of LBs who they need to see if they have it already.
I can’t find any linebacker with 9 sacks

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
I can’t find any linebacker with 9 sacks

I too am trying and I opened up the search to count between 8 and 10 sacks (figuring maybe they didnt score it the same as nfl.com) and the only Linebackers are ZDS, Clowney and Fackrell. Fackrell has 11 TFL but I am pretty sure he still has one year left and ZDS is already a Ravens and will probably cost more than that and Clowney is well going to get bank.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
The 9 sacks make me think this is a combo of players...

And you making us guess makes me think its a trick question...

So peanut, Kenny Young and Levine?

Edit: Peanut 5.5 sacks, Levine 1 sack, Young 2.5 sacks...

So I’m guessing I’m correct...
Ahh lol lame

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
The 9 sacks make me think this is a combo of players...

And you making us guess makes me think its a trick question...

So peanut, Kenny Young and Levine?

Edit: Peanut 5.5 sacks, Levine 1 sack, Young 2.5 sacks...

So I’m guessing I’m correct...
Do they have 89 tackles between them

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
Peanut 34 total tackles
Levine 21 total tackles
Young 40 total tackles

Which is 95 by my count - close but not quite...
And if you include combined tackles it’s way more

So maybe not...
You’re probably onto something though I’d say

Filmstudy

Staff Member
Filmstudy
Writer
Looks like I messed up the tackles. The total is actually 104 for the combined production of Onwuasor, Young, and Levine. One could argue this is the Lowenstein/Roenicke platoon of the NFL.

Peanut played a little Mike early in the year with Mosley out, so the 3 total 104% of the team's snaps, but since Mosley's return their participation by play has been mutually exclusive and all but a handful of Clark dimes, 4-CB dimes, and Jumbo nickels (only 1 ILB) have included 1 of them. So to be fair, you could scale the numbers down by 4%.

The reason I mentioned the "prove it" deal is that Peanut is RFA, so with a 2nd round tender (which he might not get), the total cost will be approx $6M (Young 730K, Levine 1.633M), but he'll be a UFA after 2019.

The point I'm making is this...It's far cheaper to get outstanding platoon production at the WLB spot, because it requires specialization by down. The one guy who can do all of those things will cost $$$$. The combination of players not only does the job well, but the individual parts are easier to find in the event of injury.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Looks like I messed up the tackles. The total is actually 104 for the combined production of Onwuasor, Young, and Levine. One could argue this is the Lowenstein/Roenicke platoon of the NFL.

Peanut played a little Mike early in the year with Mosley out, so the 3 total 104% of the team's snaps, but since Mosley's return their participation by play has been mutually exclusive and all but a handful of Clark dimes, 4-CB dimes, and Jumbo nickels (only 1 ILB) have included 1 of them. So to be fair, you could scale the numbers down by 4%.

The reason I mentioned the "prove it" deal is that Peanut is RFA, so with a 2nd round tender (which he might not get), the total cost will be approx $6M (Young 730K, Levine 1.633M), but he'll be a UFA after 2019.

The point I'm making is this...It's far cheaper to get outstanding platoon production at the WLB spot, because it requires specialization by down. The one guy who can do all of those things will cost $$$$. The combination of players not only does the job well, but the individual parts are easier to find in the event of injury.

its a fun exercise in hypothetical team building and a nice addendum to the 80-20 rule that is often talked about with relation to paying players vs replacing them

if im honest id be surprised if peanut gets more than the original round tender even though he could end up going for zero compensation

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

Yes, but who do you have calling the defense. During that one game he missed time followinhnthe Bengals game it was Weddle who called the d and during the Bengals game in the 2nd qtr it was awful when peanut and young sharedmthe duties.

its a fun exercise in hypothetical team building and a nice addendum to the 80-20 rule that is often talked about with relation to paying players vs replacing them

if im honest id be surprised if peanut gets more than the original round tender even though he could end up going for zero compensation

I agree and don’t think he gets a 2nd round tender.