• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2018 Secondary

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
the Ravens have made huge strides in the secondary in 2 years. With the additions of Eric Weddle, Tavon young, Tony Jefferson, brandon Carr, and marlon Humphrey, we should absolutely boast the leagues best secondary.

Eric Weddle had an all pro caliber season, he didn't lose a step, he continues to be a master of all trades, he is as heady as they come and it shows on the field. Eric Weddle lines up anywhere and brings results. As seen in 2016, he still has a bit of ballhawk in him, he knows what is coming and positions himself as well as any safety in the league. He knows when to line up deep, when to watch the seam, when to stick to his cover 2 or cover 3 roles, and he assures the rest of the secondary is aware of what's coming. He brings an added element of not only playing the classic deep safety role but also being elite in the 15 yard range, which is where he really makes his money. Being a safety net against the run and guarding The sticks from sideline to sideline to prevent plays from breaking loose and keeping everything in front of him. He is smart and versatile and a natural leader.

Tony Jefferson is of the same mold, boasting less range but far more ferocity in every aspect. He is a hammer against the run, he is a hammer against timing routes, he also positions himself well to make big impact plays, jarring the ball loose often and preventing receptions and having a knack for forcing fumbles. He is an enforcer, he can line up as the moneybacker and handle the run with ease, he can cover deep and lay big hits, and is very strong the intermediate coverage range. What makes Jefferson special though, is his ability to man cover the tight end, when facing an elite tight end he can be schemed to man cover him all day and eliminate him, that is huge. He and Weddle are a great complementary tandem.

Jimmy smith, if he never suffered an injury, he'd be a perennial all pro at this point and we may have another super bowl in 2014. He blanks the most elite receivers in the game on a regular basis. Man, zone, or press, jimmy doesn't get targeted, because NFL qbs want no parts of that.

Tavon young is on the verge of becoming a household name. The shiftiest and most explosive slot corner we have seen in a while, his small stature is a non-issue most of the time, he doesn't get outjumped, he doesn't get outbodied, he mirrors his man, tracks the ball, and explodes to make the play. This kid is special and will be eliminating hot reads to the slot receiver for years to come.

Brandon Carr is nothing special, but he's a reliable, sturdy, healthy veteran. He isn't our typical 5'9" #2 corner who gets torched up
And down the field while the rest of the secondary looks at him like "wtf m8?". In our scheme, in which we put tons of responsibility on jimmy and then make every dbs job as easy as possible, brandon Carr should flourish. He will get help from an elite safety tandem and slot corner, he will face lesser competition than in years past as he draws the easier jobs. He is a big physical guy who can bump and run and is very technically sound. Age has caught up in recent years as he has gotten exposed over the top a few times, albeit against the best of the best like dez and odb, but for what we need from him, he will be the day one starter and serve us well. We needed a serviceable #2 for years and we finally have one.

Marlon Humphrey is a system fit, and that is why I'm excited and confident. I mentioned the scheme earlier in which we isolate jimmy and assign cover 2 and cover 3 roles elsewhere, the emphasis tends to be on the side opposite of jimmy, humphrey will have the ability to attack upfield. No more getting shredded by the dink and dunk, Humphrey will crush west coast offenses by simply playing sound up front, keep the play in front of you and come downhill and limit any gains, he does this as well as a jalen Ramsey, he needs to fix the footwork, my god is that concerning, but I'm confident he can. With safety help and the confidence that his inside is covered, hopefully he's able to play free and loose and make receivers wanna take a seat.

Lardarius Webb is about as good a depth piece as you can find. How lucky are we to have a guy that can play: FS, SS, slot, and #2 boundary corner at a starting level, who is more familiar with our secondary scheme than anyone in the league, and has been a locker room favorite for a very long time... the playoffs are often a war of attrition, as we saw in 2014, and having Webb gives us a massive upper hand, I cannot overstate just how big it is to have a depth guy like Webb, bringing him back for cheap may have been the single smartest move of the offseason.

Now for the big picture. These guys fit the situation and complement each other. This is a group that should have no chemistry issues. We never needed much from a number 2, just don't be a steaming pile of shit(heh pun). Our cover 2 and cover 3 based defense suits these guys, jimmy and Weddle are both studs in this scheme, give them a diverse range to cover and they will make the judgement call and cover wisely, those guys really set the tone with their presence in this defense. Jimmy makes you unable to throw to the X receiver, forcing you to look away from what is typically the easiest target to hit. Weddle is a looming threat everywhere he is, qbs have to have an eye on him at all times, and unlike a shutdown corner, Weddle brings this threat all over the field, the qb must constantly avoid these 2 at all costs, which forces throws in undesirable areas, areas where you have multiple defenders in their zones cluttering their side of the field, tight windows, long armed DLs to force some air under the ball, and rushed throws hopefully from a good pass rush. An elite Tampa 2 linebacker in Mosley ties this thing together with excellent instincts in zone coverage, X factors like a shutdown slot guy to blank the quick release target, a safety capable of man covering TEs, and an elite screen buster on the strong side of the field, and things begin to look absolutely overwhelming for any pass offense.

Where do you go against this secondary? How do you attack such a fitting group of guys? I'll tell ya how... hope jimmy gets injured and that brandon Carr ages faster. Otherwise you aren't passing here. The Baltimore no fly zone! The murder of crows, fly among them and get rekt!

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
Man, the regular season can't get here fast enough. You just got me so excited to see what the defense can do.

K-Dog

MVP
I am never giving up on my man Webb.

Hopefully we see a lot of him on the field this season.

Always a fan.

The Raven

Veteran
I'm stoked that we finally have guys that fit what Pees likes to do on the back end. I'm nervous that 2-3 have been/could be injury prone, but I think we're gonna be in good shape. My favorite part is having DBs that can tackle. Honestly, just having DBs than can pursue and tackle will be a difference maker for this defense. It's an underrated trait in the secondary.

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
I'm hoping that we continue to build our secondary in future drafts. We will always need quality depth, and I want to have a young safety who can learn behind Weddle, Webb, and Jefferson.

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
the Ravens have made huge strides in the secondary in 2 years. With the additions of Eric Weddle, Tavon young, Tony Jefferson, brandon Carr, and marlon Humphrey, we should absolutely boast the leagues best secondary.

Eric Weddle had an all pro caliber season, he didn't lose a step, he continues to be a master of all trades, he is as heady as they come and it shows on the field. Eric Weddle lines up anywhere and brings results. As seen in 2016, he still has a bit of ballhawk in him, he knows what is coming and positions himself as well as any safety in the league. He knows when to line up deep, when to watch the seam, when to stick to his cover 2 or cover 3 roles, and he assures the rest of the secondary is aware of what's coming. He brings an added element of not only playing the classic deep safety role but also being elite in the 15 yard range, which is where he really makes his money. Being a safety net against the run and guarding The sticks from sideline to sideline to prevent plays from breaking loose and keeping everything in front of him. He is smart and versatile and a natural leader.

Tony Jefferson is of the same mold, boasting less range but far more ferocity in every aspect. He is a hammer against the run, he is a hammer against timing routes, he also positions himself well to make big impact plays, jarring the ball loose often and preventing receptions and having a knack for forcing fumbles. He is an enforcer, he can line up as the moneybacker and handle the run with ease, he can cover deep and lay big hits, and is very strong the intermediate coverage range. What makes Jefferson special though, is his ability to man cover the tight end, when facing an elite tight end he can be schemed to man cover him all day and eliminate him, that is huge. He and Weddle are a great complementary tandem.

Jimmy smith, if he never suffered an injury, he'd be a perennial all pro at this point and we may have another super bowl in 2014. He blanks the most elite receivers in the game on a regular basis. Man, zone, or press, jimmy doesn't get targeted, because NFL qbs want no parts of that.

Tavon young is on the verge of becoming a household name. The shiftiest and most explosive slot corner we have seen in a while, his small stature is a non-issue most of the time, he doesn't get outjumped, he doesn't get outbodied, he mirrors his man, tracks the ball, and explodes to make the play. This kid is special and will be eliminating hot reads to the slot receiver for years to come.

Brandon Carr is nothing special, but he's a reliable, sturdy, healthy veteran. He isn't our typical 5'9" #2 corner who gets torched up
And down the field while the rest of the secondary looks at him like "wtf m8?". In our scheme, in which we put tons of responsibility on jimmy and then make every dbs job as easy as possible, brandon Carr should flourish. He will get help from an elite safety tandem and slot corner, he will face lesser competition than in years past as he draws the easier jobs. He is a big physical guy who can bump and run and is very technically sound. Age has caught up in recent years as he has gotten exposed over the top a few times, albeit against the best of the best like dez and odb, but for what we need from him, he will be the day one starter and serve us well. We needed a serviceable #2 for years and we finally have one.

Marlon Humphrey is a system fit, and that is why I'm excited and confident. I mentioned the scheme earlier in which we isolate jimmy and assign cover 2 and cover 3 roles elsewhere, the emphasis tends to be on the side opposite of jimmy, humphrey will have the ability to attack upfield. No more getting shredded by the dink and dunk, Humphrey will crush west coast offenses by simply playing sound up front, keep the play in front of you and come downhill and limit any gains, he does this as well as a jalen Ramsey, he needs to fix the footwork, my god is that concerning, but I'm confident he can. With safety help and the confidence that his inside is covered, hopefully he's able to play free and loose and make receivers wanna take a seat.

Lardarius Webb is about as good a depth piece as you can find. How lucky are we to have a guy that can play: FS, SS, slot, and #2 boundary corner at a starting level, who is more familiar with our secondary scheme than anyone in the league, and has been a locker room favorite for a very long time... the playoffs are often a war of attrition, as we saw in 2014, and having Webb gives us a massive upper hand, I cannot overstate just how big it is to have a depth guy like Webb, bringing him back for cheap may have been the single smartest move of the offseason.

Now for the big picture. These guys fit the situation and complement each other. This is a group that should have no chemistry issues. We never needed much from a number 2, just don't be a steaming pile of shit(heh pun). Our cover 2 and cover 3 based defense suits these guys, jimmy and Weddle are both studs in this scheme, give them a diverse range to cover and they will make the judgement call and cover wisely, those guys really set the tone with their presence in this defense. Jimmy makes you unable to throw to the X receiver, forcing you to look away from what is typically the easiest target to hit. Weddle is a looming threat everywhere he is, qbs have to have an eye on him at all times, and unlike a shutdown corner, Weddle brings this threat all over the field, the qb must constantly avoid these 2 at all costs, which forces throws in undesirable areas, areas where you have multiple defenders in their zones cluttering their side of the field, tight windows, long armed DLs to force some air under the ball, and rushed throws hopefully from a good pass rush. An elite Tampa 2 linebacker in Mosley ties this thing together with excellent instincts in zone coverage, X factors like a shutdown slot guy to blank the quick release target, a safety capable of man covering TEs, and an elite screen buster on the strong side of the field, and things begin to look absolutely overwhelming for any pass offense.

Where do you go against this secondary? How do you attack such a fitting group of guys? I'll tell ya how... hope jimmy gets injured and that brandon Carr ages faster. Otherwise you aren't passing here. The Baltimore no fly zone! The murder of crows, fly among them and get rekt!

Not bad!! Your assessment of Humph is pretty accurate. Jimmy doesn't get put on an island with the best like his rep proceeds. But pees uses him to his strengths. Jefferson has far more range than credited for. Didn't need it cuz of his system. But he has it. His best is yet to come. Awesome player who could be one of the best free safety's. Tavon Young is the special talent at Cornerback. Only weakness is his size. Weddle I like but his age is a worry. Players tend to suddenly fall off the diving board. Young and Jefferson are the young talents to build around. Even if Humph becomes a good functional cornerback,

I believe SS will be his best position. That is where he can be a hof caliber player. And once Weddle falls off he and Jefferson could be better than Thomas/Chancellor. There isn't a SS in the league that can knock you out one play then drop down and man up Julio Jones the next. Then play LB on throwing downs. That is a tremendous chess piece

Bowser is key to finishing the no fly zone. Can he play ilb and drop in coverage like the best? Like his athleticism implies?

Last edited:

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Not bad!! Your assessment of Humph is pretty accurate. Jimmy doesn't get put on an island with the best like his rep proceeds. But pees uses him to his strengths. Jefferson has far more range than credited for. Didn't need it cuz of his system. But he has it. His best is yet to come. Awesome player who could be one of the best free safety's. Tavon Young is the special talent at Cornerback. Only weakness is his size. Weddle I like but his age is a worry. Players tend to suddenly fall off the diving board. Young and Jefferson are the young talents to build around. Even if Humph becomes a good functional cornerback,

I believe SS will be his best position. That is where he can be a hof caliber player. And once Weddle falls off he and Jefferson could be better than Thomas/Chancellor. There isn't a SS in the league that can knock you out one play then drop down and man up Julio Jones the next. Then play LB on throwing downs. That is a tremendous chess piece

Bowser is key to finishing the no fly zone. Can he play ilb and drop in coverage like the best? Like his athleticism implies?
jimmy doesn't shadow, but he is left on an island because we never dedicate a safety to help him deep. He is isolated to cover the sideline to the hash mark all on his own against whatever receiver is lined up there, and the rest of the coverage is rolled elsewhere.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'd have liked us to have done two things in the draft

Trade back pick up another second ( with dallas)

- Kevin King
- Zach Cunningham ( daryl smith clone)
-Jordan Willis

I think we'd be more ready.
I also think we should have picked up claibrone instead of carr.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

- Kevin King
-Jordan Willis

I didn't like king much and I didn't want Cunningham on this team where he's facing Jeremy hill and leveon bell twice a year, he will struggle to secure tackles in the NFL if he doesn't seriously change his tackling technique. Weird that a guy leading the nation in tackles has this problem, but he arm tackles and dead weights to drag players down rather than hitting, wrapping and scooping like a LB should

Although I would've preferred to trade back as well and between Humphrey and lamp I would've been happy with either

The Greek

Veteran
i am excited about the depth in the secondary and pray that jimmy can give us a full season or at least be healthy for the playoff run. i can see ozzie maybe signing another vet during camp cuts to bolster the safety depth.

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
jimmy doesn't shadow, but he is left on an island because we never dedicate a safety to help him deep. He is isolated to cover the sideline to the hash mark all on his own against whatever receiver is lined up there, and the rest of the coverage is rolled elsewhere.

Not on every play but he gets a good amount of help. Unless that changed up this year. I didn't watch many games this yr.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Clai

- Kevin King
-Jordan Willis

Claihorne although he was starting to come on last season is too injury prone for my liking, Carr has never missed a game. He was also less expensive. Our contract is pretty flexible with Carr as well. It's basically a one year contract with an team option.
[doublepost=1495552821,1495552682][/doublepost]
You mean the guy who has missed 33 out of 80 games....That's just what we need.
Exactly

usmccharles

Practice Squad
[doublepost=1495552821,1495552682][/doublepost]
Exactly
JUst blows my mind people advocated for him after seeing what issues we have had in the past when Jimmy goes down. Then we sign a guy who is a solid number 2 and has never missed a game and people still hate the move. The hypocrisy is hilarious

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Not on every play but he gets a good amount of help. Unless that changed up this year. I didn't watch many games this yr.
When a teams run defense falls off the face of the earth sharply when the top cb goes down, it's because the safeties are now being assigned elsewhere when before they were cheating up constantly while jimmy is on an island, when your secondary is still dominating despite having no pass rush and your #2 is shareece goddamn wright, it's because the safeties are helping out that side of the field and jimmy is holding it down by himself.

We haven't been able to do this until 2016 because jimmy was either out, playing hobbled, or pre-Weddle we had trash safety play. We saw the pees concept come together in 2016 because jimmy was mostly healthy and we had quality safeties.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'm excited about our secondary! I just want them to gel quickly in order to operate as one unit! And picks! I want to see lots of picks....even a few pick 6's would be nice.