• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

NFL Officials Set Record for Penalties in 2018

JO_75

Hall of Famer
YIKES! We know the NFL has a flag happy official problem but I didn't think it was THIS BAD.

Rick Gosselin@RickGosselin9

NFL crews assessed a record 3,447 penalties in 2018. First-year referees Shawn Hochuli and Shawn Smith and their crews finished 1-2 in penalties with the Hochuli crew assessing 253 and the Smith crew 228.

Those numbers are nothing less than staggering. If Hochuli’s crew worked 17 games this year, that means they assessed nearly 15 penalties per game. If they worked only 16, the math comes out to nearly 16 penalties per game.

https://www.breitbart.com/sports/2019/01/02/nfl-referees-set-record-most-penalties-called-season/

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
YIKES! We know the NFL has a flag happy official problem but I didn't think it was THIS BAD.

Rick Gosselin@RickGosselin9

NFL crews assessed a record 3,447 penalties in 2018. First-year referees Shawn Hochuli and Shawn Smith and their crews finished 1-2 in penalties with the Hochuli crew assessing 253 and the Smith crew 228.

https://www.breitbart.com/sports/2019/01/02/nfl-referees-set-record-most-penalties-called-season/
Terrible.
I'd love if someone would come up with the number of calls they missed, just to complete the picture of how bad the refereeing actually was.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
Terrible.
I'd love if someone would come up with the number of calls they missed, just to complete the picture of how bad the refereeing actually was.

I mean if they missed calls what you would be arguing is that the record number of penalties is not actually enough penalties and in fact the refs should have thrown MORE flags.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
I mean if they missed calls what you would be arguing is that the record number of penalties is not actually enough penalties and in fact the refs should have thrown MORE flags.
Nothing wrong with throwing flags if it was a penalty.

I'm arguing that they majorly suck because they make mistakes both ways.

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
The officiating in games this season was even more trash than usual. Gotta love how they make billions every year and yet they don't want to spend the money to hire all of the officials full-time.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
The officiating in games this season was even more trash than usual. Gotta love how they make billions every year and yet they don't want to spend the money to hire all of the officials full-time.
It’s so ridiculous. If we had all full time refs I guarantee officiating would be soooo much better

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
It’s so ridiculous. If we had all full time refs I guarantee officiating would be soooo much better
I think full time refs would help, but they need to consider putting some measures in place to give teams a chance to challenge a flag or to relook at a play to see if something flagrant was missed. This could be allowed to a teams challenge rights.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

I think full time refs would help, but they need to consider putting some measures in place to give teams a chance to challenge a flag or to relook at a play to see if something flagrant was missed. This could be allowed to a teams challenge rights.

We instituted full time refs prior to the season, but I’m not sure if they have more than a dozen of them. That being said, they are only on an annual contracting that could be the root of the problem

rossihunter2

Staff Member

full time refs and refs mic'd up the whole time just like the players not just when they press a button at their waist - would do 2 crucial things:

1. naturally the refs would be better and more proficient and the officials would be more "official"
  2. this if anything is more important - it would increase accountability and transparency in ref decision making and would greatly increase fan empathy and understanding of refereeing decisions - when you can hear the refs talk through a decision then you gain a respect and understanding of how they work and it creates a greater respect for their job - and when that understanding exists the refs will get better at maintaining that process
with regard to the 2nd point i dont think there's a sport in the world that's officiated better than rugby union and it's a complex game where almost every decision is a judgement call and no challenges can occur (you can have tv reviews on scoring plays and foul play but only if the ref asks for it himself or if the Television match official buzzes down to say he needs to have a look) - crucially though the refs are mic'd up and you can hear them the whole way through the game including how they talk to the players, how the players talk to them, how they make decisions etc. as a result the level of understanding of the referee and his job is incredibly high to the whole viewing audience and also for the players