• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

How large is our window

The Raven

Veteran
From memory there were times in replays where his footspeed looked slow and his man would blow right past him, in all fairness that is a small sample size but you also have to ask why the coaches don't have faith in him as a starter.
That's a fair criticism. He was really really bad at that early on, mainly in pass protection. I think it has to be a technique thing because he's actually fairly athletic for a big man. He struggled to scoop sometimes on zone runs but that's a weakness that can be masked with less zone.

I have my theories about why the coaches didn't like him, but I think it boils down to 1. poor footwork in pass pro and 2. a feeling of commitment to Zuttah after investing a draft pick and money into him. I know that shouldn't be a reason, but that's something our team would do. Zuttah was "good enough," and we spent money on him, so we stuck with him, despite him being a liability in the run game. What's your take?

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
The only thing about Wagner which I won't miss is his run blocking. It's just average to below average..
Boy what i'd give to have a Lane Johnson type of right tackle...

That's a fair criticism. He was really really bad at that early on, mainly in pass protection. I think it has to be a technique thing because he's actually fairly athletic for a big man. He struggled to scoop sometimes on zone runs but that's a weakness that can be masked with less zone.

I have my theories about why the coaches didn't like him, but I think it boils down to 1. poor footwork in pass pro and 2. a feeling of commitment to Zuttah after investing a draft pick and money into him. I know that shouldn't be a reason, but that's something our team would do. Zuttah was "good enough," and we spent money on him, so we stuck with him, despite him being a liability in the run game. What's your take?

Probably the pass pro issues, Jensen might twice as strong as Zuttah but doesn't have the experience or technique. In the end once Zuttahs play fell off there was no point keeping him around

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
Yes that was a surprise when you said that cuz it definitely contradicts his path to draft comments about Eluemunor

well...?
[doublepost=1496006246,1496006106][/doublepost]Pretty much every year, where we feel theres a weakness in the offseason leading into a new season, we are right.
The O is going to absolutely suck. We don't have an elite running back or an elite QB or and Elite Line or an Elite WR.

We all know that if you don't have a good O line, you cannot have a good offense.

Was Humphrey really worth it over getting some extra picks and possibly getting lamp in the early 2nd while having an extra 3rd and 4th?

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
well...?
[doublepost=1496006246,1496006106][/doublepost]Pretty much every year, where we feel theres a weakness in the offseason leading into a new season, we are right.
The O is going to absolutely suck. We don't have an elite running back or an elite QB or and Elite Line or an Elite WR.

We all know that if you don't have a good O line, you cannot have a good offense.

Was Humphrey really worth it over getting some extra picks and possibly getting lamp in the early 2nd while having an extra 3rd and 4th?
i dont think he was worth it, but who actually thought lamp would fall to the 2nd? i dont believe we felt he would be available at that point.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
i dont think he was worth it, but who actually thought lamp would fall to the 2nd? i dont believe we felt he would be available at that point.

I'd have picked him @ 16. Its not a sexy pick at all BUT we'd be getting a guy that would be a plug n play. I want my first round pick to be a Plug n Play. It's a bad sign when that doesn't transpire.
[doublepost=1496008757,1496008657][/doublepost]the last two plug n plays were Mosley and Stanley.

Go figure.
[doublepost=1496008956][/doublepost]Remember when Matt Elam didn't beat out Michael Huff or James Ihedigbo? ( the broncos thrashing us in the season opener forced harbs hand, they clearly didn't think Elam was ready or he would have started)

Humphrey better be starting by the seasons beginning. Brandon Carr is not a good corner anymore, he's merely serviceable

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'd have picked him @ 16. Its not a sexy pick at all BUT we'd be getting a guy that would be a plug n play. I want my first round pick to be a Plug n Play. It's a bad sign when that doesn't transpire.
[doublepost=1496008757,1496008657][/doublepost]the last two plug n plays were Mosley and Stanley.

Go figure.
[doublepost=1496008956][/doublepost]Remember when Matt Elam didn't beat out Michael Huff or James Ihedigbo? ( the broncos thrashing us in the season opener forced harbs hand, they clearly didn't think Elam was ready or he would have started)

Humphrey better be starting by the seasons beginning. Brandon Carr is not a good corner anymore, he's merely serviceable

He was very good last year as the number 2 corner for the cowboys. In fact out of tge two i would say he played better then Claiborne until Claiborne got injured again and then he couldnt carry the secondary.

If he is playing it will likely be taking reps from Young and not Carr but using your logic gor 1st round picks Aaron Rodgers was a bad 1st round pick since he was nowhere near ready to play.

You pick your first round talent based on player you think you can best groom into a pro bowl level player woth a 10+ year career. 2nd round you can go for plug and play guys with average potential but 1st round picks are for the long game.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

Go figure.

howard,Lamp and takk were my next 3 choices. I don't think Humphrey was the best available but I don't think it's nearly as bad a pick as you're making it out to be. Somewhere in the teens is right where his value was and that's where we got him.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
This team will be something fierce in the 18 season, I think. My opinion is after next off season we will really start to see this current core take off. Could see a 3-4 year window if the rookies turn out how I think and Perriman puts it together.

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler

Go figure.

Heya Sammy sorry it took a while to get back to you on this. Try segments 4/12 4/17 4/18 dude. He definitely talked up Eluemunors strength and athleticism. And lauded his play for such an inexperienced player.

I'm really rooting for Eluemunor. He has a chance to replace Osemele as a freakish mauling enforcer. I prefer a team that can score. But not only dynamic WRs. But an offensive line that can intimidate opposing football teams. And power a run game and balanced offense. No denying he looked bad at times at tackle. But he played 4 games at tackle in college. And didn't begin football until he turned 16. I actually think his skills resemble Carl Nicks more than Osemele. But I think you and every Ravens fan would like it if he is close to Carl Nicks