• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

How Did You Become a Baltimore Ravens Fan?

That was right when we first got the team but fans right away said they didn't want the name or colors.
You’re right about that. The fans really wanted nothing to do with the name or colors. We knew how it feels to lose a team, and then learn that the name and colors would go to Indy. I think the league did right by Cleveland by promising them a team within 3 years, and money to help build a new stadium. Much differently then how we were treated when the Colts left.

Anyway I have been a Ravens fan since before they had a team name. I was a Colts fan before that, and after they left I never really had a favorite team. It was a tough 12 years.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
You’re right about that. The fans really wanted nothing to do with the name or colors. We knew how it feels to lose a team, and then learn that the name and colors would go to Indy. I think the league did right by Cleveland by promising them a team within 3 years, and money to help build a new stadium. Much differently then how we were treated when the Colts left.

Anyway I have been a Ravens fan since before they had a team name. I was a Colts fan before that, and after they left I never really had a favorite team. It was a tough 12 years.

Yes and I remember it was right away. After the prestigious history that the Colts built in BMore then watch travel away in Mayflower trucks no way was we gonna do something like that to another city especially one that had a rich heritage.

Really wasn't too into football too much as a kid but I still remember the likes of the Sack Pack,Roger Carr,Lydell,Bert Jones and my personal fave Ed Simonini. That's right that dude was in on every tackle and he was like 5'5. Then after that the bottom dropped out lol. After they left really got into the Raiders pretty much cuz they was the bad boys but really liked Marcus Allen. Also liked the Bills but man when the Ravens came I dropped everybody like a bad habit. Just the crap we went thru to get the team with all the roadblocks Tagliabooboo set up for his Washington Redskins crony Jack Kent Cook. Really the Jax Jaguars shouldn't even be existing since we cleared all hurdles for an expansion franchize. Remember it was supposed to be an old team and a new team. They'd already predetermined St Louis and Charlotte now using 20/20 hindsight then it was like ruh row hell no it cant be Baltimore. Then of course after the Browns came here we had to go thru the whole ordeal of being the most hated team in football mainly by the media. Nobody even liked us during our 1st SB run so if you was a Raven fan at the time you damn sure wasn't fairweather. I can say I'm damn proud to be a Raven fan and have been since day 1.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
Yes and I remember it was right away. After the prestigious history that the Colts built in BMore then watch travel away in Mayflower trucks no way was we gonna do something like that to another city especially one that had a rich heritage.

Really wasn't too into football too much as a kid but I still remember the likes of the Sack Pack,Roger Carr,Lydell,Bert Jones and my personal fave Ed Simonini. That's right that dude was in on every tackle and he was like 5'5. Then after that the bottom dropped out lol. After they left really got into the Raiders pretty much cuz they was the bad boys but really liked Marcus Allen. Also liked the Bills but man when the Ravens came I dropped everybody like a bad habit. Just the crap we went thru to get the team with all the roadblocks Tagliabooboo set up for his Washington Redskins crony Jack Kent Cook. Really the Jax Jaguars shouldn't even be existing since we cleared all hurdles for an expansion franchize. Remember it was supposed to be an old team and a new team. They'd already predetermined St Louis and Charlotte now using 20/20 hindsight then it was like ruh row hell no it cant be Baltimore. Then of course after the Browns came here we had to go thru the whole ordeal of being the most hated team in football mainly by the media. Nobody even liked us during our 1st SB run so if you was a Raven fan at the time you damn sure wasn't fairweather. I can say I'm damn proud to be a Raven fan and have been since day 1.

I looked into the history of the Browns move a little. I don't see why anyone would be mad at Baltimore. In fact, Baltimore was shafted a few times prior to that move. Seems like the real issue was how the city of Cleveland was handling other sports teams vs how they handled the Browns.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
I looked into the history of the Browns move a little. I don't see why anyone would be mad at Baltimore. In fact, Baltimore was shafted a few times prior to that move. Seems like the real issue was how the city of Cleveland was handling other sports teams vs how they handled the Browns.

Yes I'm doing this by memory but they had either rebuilt or refurbished the baseball and basketball teams facilities and had just okayed the building of the RockNRoll HOF. Apparantly Modell met with the mayor and was told the city had absolutely no funding to rebuild the football stadium. Amazing how they was able to do so after the Browns left. Lot of people don't understand the Browns was Modell's income. It wasn't like he was a business owner. This also shows how good our situation was for an expansion team that he had almost no choice but to bite.

I still have that visual memory of the Mayflower moving vans pulling out of the Owings Mills complex on that snowy March night. I just remember being so pissed at Irsay at the time. Lol.

As a youngster I had a good friend who was a first cousin to Rick Volk, who was a DB for the colts during the Bert Jones era. Went to a few Colts games on his dime. Good memories.

I think the browns fans were more pissed at Modell then they were Baltimore. At least until we won the SB in 2000. Lol. They had some raw hatred for Modell, but he really had no choice from a financial standpoint. Although many browns fans would argue that he mismanaged the team for years. All I can say is that if Baltimore had gotten the same deal Cleveland got when the Colts left, I still would have been pissed but I think I would have gotten over it sooner.

Argentina Raven

Practice Squad
Summer, vacation, espn on TV, the sport was already known by Smith, Aikman and Irvin's Cowboys, that afternoon they broadcast Ravens vs. Titans, Ray Lewis vs. Eddie George.
love at first sight.
tough defense and run, all I need from my Ravens

Tagliaboo was an idiot. He told us to go build a museum. Lol. We did. The Vault, two NFL titles, and many playoff appearances.