• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Welcome to Baltimore: Jaylon Ferguson and Miles Boykin

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Yeah it’s really impressive how he doesn’t lose speed when he changes direction
Still though I’m not sold on him as of now. Because even with all that his separation was so minimal and so subtle I worry that pro dbs close that gap easily. He’s gonna have to excel at a really high level on shielding and boxing out if he can’t pick up more separation at the next level. His route running has zero nuance or creativity to it so it’s very possible that with his ability to change direction at high speeds he can develop his route tree, but it’s gonna take a lot of coaching. People think Boykin is gonna be a possession receiver but honestly I don’t see it until at least year 2 after a lot of coaching and reps, I actually think he’s gonna have a few big splash plays just from getting 1v1 shots down the field and beating dbs with size and hands, but other than that I think he’s gonna have very limited production as a rookie because like I said his separation will likely be minimal.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Still though I’m not sold on him as of now. Because even with all that his separation was so minimal and so subtle I worry that pro dbs close that gap easily. He’s gonna have to excel at a really high level on shielding and boxing out if he can’t pick up more separation at the next level. His route running has zero nuance or creativity to it so it’s very possible that with his ability to change direction at high speeds he can develop his route tree, but it’s gonna take a lot of coaching. People think Boykin is gonna be a possession receiver but honestly I don’t see it until at least year 2 after a lot of coaching and reps, I actually think he’s gonna have a few big splash plays just from getting 1v1 shots down the field and beating dbs with size and hands, but other than that I think he’s gonna have very limited production as a rookie because like I said his separation will likely be minimal.

I just don’t think he’s that bad of a route runner - and I think a lot of the lack of visual separation comes from the awful qb play

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I just don’t think he’s that bad of a route runner - and I think a lot of the lack of visual separation comes from the awful qb play
I saw that clear as day with kelvin harmon because Finley would throw him into coverage so often, but Boykin off of his breaks wasn’t generating any real big separation except for those quick slants where the dB flips the hips immediately. I know what you’re saying and his qb would fuck him over with underthrown deep balls, but as far as him selling something and then breaking off for separation I just never see it with him.

Then again the lack of diversity in his routes could be causing that too

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I saw that clear as day with kelvin harmon because Finley would throw him into coverage so often, but Boykin off of his breaks wasn’t generating any real big separation except for those quick slants where the dB flips the hips immediately. I know what you’re saying and his qb would fuck him over with underthrown deep balls, but as far as him selling something and then breaking off for separation I just never see it with him.

Then again the lack of diversity in his routes could be causing that too

i mean you're very welcome to that opinion but i just dont think i see necessarily the same things and maybe its the purple sunglasses but i see a lot of nice looking route running with varying effectiveness - ironically the separation is the same thing i come back to but for me the problem is that i see him operate all these nice nuanced things and still see minor separation at the catch-point and thats why im not so worried about it because often ill see that the qb play basically makes it look like hes running in treacle sometimes

purp

Practice Squad
I think the biggest upside with Boykin is his coachability. Combined with his agility I don’t see any reason why he couldn’t learn to be more sudden in and out of his breaks.

We shall see.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
ferguson is growing on me a bit. im beginning to see more bend out of him, hes not flexible or bendy by any means, but he can show some hip and ankle flexion at times, but not a whole lot. he may just be too top heavy and it makes it difficult for him to carry that weight on a lean, if hes in the gym busting his ass to bulk up the lower body and trimming down his overall weight then he might be able to see some results on his bend

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
ferguson is growing on me a bit. im beginning to see more bend out of him, hes not flexible or bendy by any means, but he can show some hip and ankle flexion at times, but not a whole lot. he may just be too top heavy and it makes it difficult for him to carry that weight on a lean, if hes in the gym busting his ass to bulk up the lower body and trimming down his overall weight then he might be able to see some results on his bend
Why are you outta pocket?