1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome Guest, thanks for stopping by. Be sure to sign up if you haven't already done so!
    Dismiss Notice

Top 10 Ravens all-time

Discussion in 'Ravens Talk' started by BaltRavens, May 5, 2019.

1. BaltRavens

BaltRavens Practice Squad

Anybody have the same sentiments on Ngata like I do, I am not really high on him, but I believe he did get a SB ring as a Raven?

2. JoeyFlex5

JoeyFlex5 Hall of Famer

I’m not real high on Ngata myself. He had a lot of slack in him it seemed. That said we did him absolutely wrong. Moving him away from a 1 gap 3tech destroyed what could’ve been a hall of fame career. He was great enough to do what we asked of him at the highest level, but it was a much more demanding task and it came with none of the flash or recognition that he would’ve had if he had stayed in his 06-08 role. The defensive philosophy change that came with Greg mattison just ruined what looked like the next raven great. If you recall between 09-12 every outlet out there had at least one analyst picking Ngata as their DPOY favorite in the offseason just because of what he did under Rex Ryan and they were waiting on that one huge season from him, it would never come because of mattison and pees and their bullshit system.

That said I don’t see him in nearly the same light as a sizzle, for me he’s a notch above Bart Scott and right around Chris McAllister/Jamal Lewis territory as far as recognition as a ravens great.

3. rossihunter2

rossihunter2 Staff Member Moderator

To me you've got the surefire hall of famers: Ray, JO, Ed and probably Sizzle and then probably Yanda joins that group when he's done - id have Ngata and Heap just below them

Ray, JO, Ed, Sizzle and Yanda were dominant at their positions for crazy amounts of time - Ngata and Heap were also players who would be regarded at times as the best in the league but not quite in the same way nor for as long but they still had those peaks which would separate them from some of the other ravens you might include with them (legacy-wise i dont think they'll be regarded in the same light as chris mcallister and bart scott etc.) - the one curveball is how joe flacco goes legacy-wise - he was never someone who was the best in the nfl at their position outside of 4 magical games all in a row and as good as he sometimes was he never really reached those heights again for various reasons and yet the importance of those 4 games and the importance of him as the first franchise qb in the organisation's history is also important

the legacy of flacco and his place in ravens lore is ironically probably dependent on what comes after him - if lamar (or whoever comes after lamar) absolutely ball out and lead the ravens to perennial playoffs and an eventual superbowl (or better) flacco's legacy will probably fade a little but if the ravens have a concerted period of struggle to replace him over time then his legend will only grow until he reaches the kind of profound placement at the top of franchise history with the HOFers despite never even making a pro bowl

4. Willbacker

Willbacker Pro Bowler

He got a SB ring and he deserves a spot in our ROH. He was considered the best defensive player in the league for a couple of years and as @JoeyFlex5 says when they moved him to straight NT he wasn't as proficient plus he started suffering some injuries.

5. gtalk12

gtalk12 Veteran

I have Ngata alot higher than most probably would. That was one Raven that left that really did not feel right. He was still the man when he left and he was missed in my opinion. Thinking that B-Williams was going to replace him was nuts. I would have payed him and let Williams walk. That was just me though.

All time for me on the defense ravens list is

Ray, Ed, Suggs, Ngata, and then Chris.

6. rossihunter2

he probably goes down as a top 10 raven all-time right?

7. Nurps

Nurps Practice Squad

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  8. gtalk12

gtalk12 Veteran

No matter who comes after, Flacco's legacy will always and should always be remembered not only for his Superbowl run but for his success the years before in the playoffs. The battles we had with the Patriots and Steelers. He made that possible with his arm.

9. Willbacker

Willbacker Pro Bowler

As of right now yes for sure.

10. gtalk12

gtalk12 Veteran

I would like to see someone name 10 players better than him all time Raven. I don't think they can. I think his is closer to top 6 and he might not be 6

11. Willbacker

Willbacker Pro Bowler

This would be my top 10 after a quick think

Ray
    Ed
    Suggs
    Yanda
    Ogden
    Jamal
    Ray Rice
    Boulware
    Ngata
    Combo of Stover/Tucker

Ngata> McAlister

Joe might not make my top 15 lol if think about it more.

12. rossihunter2

Just because this was an interesting discussion from the offseason thread because someone mentioned Haloti Ngata and I don't want that thread to get bogged down - I'm interested in who people thinks would be included and not included in their top 10

have moved previous posts on the issue into this thread...

13. gtalk12

gtalk12 Veteran

Ray
    Ed
    Ogden
    Suggs
    Yanda
    Ngata
    Flacco
    Chris M
    Boulware
    Heap

14. Tank

Tank Ravens Ring of Honor

Not necessarily in this order, but this is pretty much how I see the top 10, except I would exchange Jamal for Mcalister.

15. JoeyFlex5

JoeyFlex5 Hall of Famer

Ed
    Ray
    JO
    sizzle
    Flacco
    yanda
    Mason
    Ngata
    Jamal
    Heap

Sorry I just can’t include a kicker

fixed, totally didnt mean to leave yanda out lol. and i have joe above yanda because of the impact he had, being our first franchise qb and all, and helping bring our irrelevant team to the spotlight

Last edited: May 5, 2019
  16. Tank

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Sami84

Sami84 MVP

Yanda > Ngata
    Yanda > Jamal
    Yanda > Heap
    Yanda > Rice
    Yanda > McAllister
    Yanda > Mason
    Yanda > Flacco
    Yanda = Sizzle
    JO > Yanda
    Ed > Yanda
    Ray > Yanda

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Tank

I could be wrong, but I think people that have been Ravens fans from the beginning have a deeper appreciation for what Joe did for the franchise.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Sami84

Sami84 MVP

You could even argue that yanda is a greater guard than sizzle a pass rusher. Yanda might be the 4th best raven of all time

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. SaltyDog

SaltyDog Practice Squad

Ray
    Ed
    Suggs
    Yanda
    Ogden
    Jamal
    Ray Rice
    Flacco
    Boulware