• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

First Ravens game

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Considering that I made this thread, I believe he's referring to me going to the Cards game lol

And yes, I enjoyed every minute of it!

Highlights/Notes:
  • Got tix to the Jimmy's Seafood Tailgoat before the game. All you can eat and drink for $50 so it was worth every penny. There was live music, some frisbee game that people were playing, etc. Jarrett Johnson was there for the VIP so we did get to see him, but we didn't have VIP tix so we couldn't get photos or anything. The best part though, hands down, was what happened when were almost getting ready to walk to the stadium. I start hearing a commotion in the crowd and look to see Ed fucking Reed walking through the crowd with a cigar in his mouth. I actually got to give him a pat on the shoulder as he walked by to get to the stage and yelled "REEEEEEEED!" lol
  • The seats we got in 117 (right near the player intros) were really good. As already mentioned, it can be hard to see the action at the other end of the field when sitting in one of the corners, but it was still awesome to be that close to the field.
  • The atmosphere in the stadium was AMAZING. I made quick friends with just about everyone in my section and the place was ROCKING. I'm actually shocked that I didn't lose my voice after this game because I was yelling like a madman for most of the game lol
  • My biggest regret is probably missing the start of the 3rd quarter for a beer run lol. Half-time goes super quick and when everyone is waiting in line for beer, you can lose track of that time. This is why you always see a bunch of empty seats in NFL stadiums when the 3rd quarter starts lol (not including teams like the Bengals which have empty stadiums to begin with)
  • Lamar just plays the game at a different speed than everyone else. He made it look so easy that when I saw that he had 120 rushing yards at the end of the game, I was like, "Really? It didn't even seem like that much!"
  • I couldn't have asked for a better ending to the game then that clutch throw to Hollywood.
yeah, that was a great game as well. I was in attendance as well and not far from you as I was in section 106.

I was almost wishing we scored at the end of the game, because the score made it look closer than it was, but it was the right thing to do.

socrates_07

Practice Squad
Considering that I made this thread, I believe he's referring to me going to the Cards game lol

Highlights/Notes:
  • Got tix to the Jimmy's Seafood Tailgoat before the game. All you can eat and drink for $50 so it was worth every penny. There was live music, some frisbee game that people were playing, etc. Jarrett Johnson was there for the VIP so we did get to see him, but we didn't have VIP tix so we couldn't get photos or anything. The best part though, hands down, was what happened when were almost getting ready to walk to the stadium. I start hearing a commotion in the crowd and look to see Ed fucking Reed walking through the crowd with a cigar in his mouth. I actually got to give him a pat on the shoulder as he walked by to get to the stage and yelled "REEEEEEEED!" lol
  • The seats we got in 117 (right near the player intros) were really good. As already mentioned, it can be hard to see the action at the other end of the field when sitting in one of the corners, but it was still awesome to be that close to the field.
  • The atmosphere in the stadium was AMAZING. I made quick friends with just about everyone in my section and the place was ROCKING. I'm actually shocked that I didn't lose my voice after this game because I was yelling like a madman for most of the game lol
  • My biggest regret is probably missing the start of the 3rd quarter for a beer run lol. Half-time goes super quick and when everyone is waiting in line for beer, you can lose track of that time. This is why you always see a bunch of empty seats in NFL stadiums when the 3rd quarter starts lol (not including teams like the Bengals which have empty stadiums to begin with)
  • Lamar just plays the game at a different speed than everyone else. He made it look so easy that when I saw that he had 120 rushing yards at the end of the game, I was like, "Really? It didn't even seem like that much!"
  • I couldn't have asked for a better ending to the game then that clutch throw to Hollywood.
Thank you for sharing your highlights. It's hard to imagine all those impressions when you're not there. But I'm sure you really enjoyed every minute ... except when you had to wait for the beer and missed the beginning of the 3rd quarter.
I think in December, especially before a Thursday Night Game, Pre-Game Activities will be different than on September afternoon. Nevertheless, it will be a special event for me and I'm already very excited!

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Thank you for sharing your highlights. It's hard to imagine all those impressions when you're not there. But I'm sure you really enjoyed every minute ... except when you had to wait for the beer and missed the beginning of the 3rd quarter.
I think in December, especially before a Thursday Night Game, Pre-Game Activities will be different than on September afternoon. Nevertheless, it will be a special event for me and I'm already very excited!
exactly. Mine was a Sunday night game vs. the Pats and people were definitely getting in early and the lines were building earlier than expected. Also Reed was having the Ring ceremony from his HOF induction. That was done at halftime and it was a blackout, which I didn't want to miss. I ended up going in prior to the end of the 1st half to get in line and I watched the Patriots last drive where they ended up scoring a fg.

Just give yourself plenty of time.

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor

Enjoy it, man! Can't speak for your situation, but I live in the New England area so I'm constantly surrounded by NY and Pats fans everywhere I go (my dad is actually a Jets fan lol). Going to this game felt like I was with "family" and it was truly an incredible experience. Obviously, the other activities will be different for you since it's a TNF game, but just take it all in and you should have a great time regardless.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor

Highlights/Notes:

I was there! :lol:

socrates_07

Practice Squad
exactly. Mine was a Sunday night game vs. the Pats and people were definitely getting in early and the lines were building earlier than expected. Also Reed was having the Ring ceremony from his HOF induction. That was done at halftime and it was a blackout, which I didn't want to miss. I ended up going in prior to the end of the 1st half to get in line and I watched the Patriots last drive where they ended up scoring a fg.

Just give yourself plenty of time.
Of course, this is a very special situation, which certainly will not happen before this TNF game.
Nevertheless I will give myself plenty of time and enjoy the atmosphere.
I'll try to arrive in Baltimore around lunchtime. And the hotel I'll stay in is not far from M&T Bank Stadium.

socrates_07

Practice Squad
Enjoy it, man! Can't speak for your situation, but I live in the New England area so I'm constantly surrounded by NY and Pats fans everywhere I go (my dad is actually a Jets fan lol). Going to this game felt like I was with "family" and it was truly an incredible experience. Obviously, the other activities will be different for you since it's a TNF game, but just take it all in and you should have a great time regardless.
Yes, I'll take it as it comes and just let myself be surprised.
You are Raven's fan, even though you live in the New England Area? Is there a specific reason?

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
Yes, I'll take it as it comes and just let myself be surprised.
You are Raven's fan, even though you live in the New England Area? Is there a specific reason?

Both NY teams were pretty bad when I was growing up so I never latched on even though my dad would watch all the Jets games. This was also before Brady's time so even though the Pats made the SB in '97, I was rooting for the Packers to win that SB because I liked Favre and was probably very close to becoming a Packers fan (if they were able to go back-to-back against the Broncos then I think that could have sealed it).

Anyway, the Jets were playing the Ravens sometime in the middle of their legendary 2000 SB run and Ray Lewis jumped off the screen to me. The way that defense played and the way Lewis was all over the field gave me this feeling that they were the team to beat that year. I would tell everyone who would listen that they were winning the SB that year and then they did. Instant fan and the obsession has grown every year since lol

socrates_07

Practice Squad
Both NY teams were pretty bad when I was growing up so I never latched on even though my dad would watch all the Jets games. This was also before Brady's time so even though the Pats made the SB in '97, I was rooting for the Packers to win that SB because I liked Favre and was probably very close to becoming a Packers fan (if they were able to go back-to-back against the Broncos then I think that could have sealed it).

Anyway, the Jets were playing the Ravens sometime in the middle of their legendary 2000 SB run and Ray Lewis jumped off the screen to me. The way that defense played and the way Lewis was all over the field gave me this feeling that they were the team to beat that year. I would tell everyone who would listen that they were winning the SB that year and then they did. Instant fan and the obsession has grown every year since lol
This is very interesting! Especially that you were very close to becoming a Packers fan. This team is the second team I really like. I've been into American football since the early '90s, Super Bowl XXVII (Cowboys vs. Bills) was the first SB I've seen. At that time, there were few opportunities to watch American football here in Europe, just for a lot of money via PayTV.
I started collecting T-shirts from NFL teams, and at some point I wanted to choose a team. I got my first t-shirt of an NFL team as a gift from my wife. And it was one of the Packers. So the choice fell on that team.

Unfortunately, I had not the same emotions which i would have now when the Ravens had their legendary 2000 SB run.
It was a book that made me a fan of the Ravens.
"Next Man Up: A Year Behind the Lines in Today's NFL".
And the weekly NFL games with a friend. He is Steelers and 49ers fan. Especially games against the Steelers are always very emotional when we watch those games together.

He also hosts Super Bowl parties and of course it was a huge enjoyment for me when the Ravens defeated the 49ers in Superbowl XLVII. Although I had about 103 F fever and had to watch the second half at home laying in the bed. I was lucky when there was a power outage in the Superdome, so I didn't miss the Kickoff of the second half.

I normally ALWAYS attend the Ravens vs Steelers home game at The Bank but not this year but perhaps, I'll attend (with my son) the home playoff game? We'll see cause I can't stand to be cold! :lol:
Aw man attending cold weather football is awesome ... as long as it isn’t too cold.

Going to the SF game. Kind glad they didn’t flex it cause got a 6 hour drive post game and absolutely gotta work on Monday.

Anyone else?

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
This is very interesting! Especially that you were very close to becoming a Packers fan. This team is the second team I really like. I've been into American football since the early '90s, Super Bowl XXVII (Cowboys vs. Bills) was the first SB I've seen. At that time, there were few opportunities to watch American football here in Europe, just for a lot of money via PayTV.
I started collecting T-shirts from NFL teams, and at some point I wanted to choose a team. I got my first t-shirt of an NFL team as a gift from my wife. And it was one of the Packers. So the choice fell on that team.

Unfortunately, I had not the same emotions which i would have now when the Ravens had their legendary 2000 SB run.
It was a book that made me a fan of the Ravens.
"Next Man Up: A Year Behind the Lines in Today's NFL".
And the weekly NFL games with a friend. He is Steelers and 49ers fan. Especially games against the Steelers are always very emotional when we watch those games together.

He also hosts Super Bowl parties and of course it was a huge enjoyment for me when the Ravens defeated the 49ers in Superbowl XLVII. Although I had about 103 F fever and had to watch the second half at home laying in the bed. I was lucky when there was a power outage in the Superdome, so I didn't miss the Kickoff of the second half.
it's always interesting to hear people stories and how they became Ravens fans. Whether they may have grown up Baltimore Colts fans or just became fans because their dad rooted for the team and they followed suit. We all have different paths and that is why it's interesting.

socrates_07

Practice Squad
it's always interesting to hear people stories and how they became Ravens fans. Whether they may have grown up Baltimore Colts fans or just became fans because their dad rooted for the team and they followed suit. We all have different paths and that is why it's interesting.
Yes, I thought that could be interesting. That's why I wanted to share my story with you all. Anyway, I had hoped not to bore you. ;)

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Yes, I thought that could be interesting. That's why I wanted to share my story with you all. Anyway, I had hoped not to bore you. ;)
you definitely didn't. I hope you continue to add to the forum even after you go to the game.

socrates_07

Practice Squad
you definitely didn't. I hope you continue to add to the forum even after you go to the game.
Of course my plan is to remain active in the forum after watching the game, although I am unable to discuss about football at the same level as you. American football is far less popular in Europe compared to the US. So your knowledge and experience is so much higher than mine.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Hey @socrates_07 was thinking about you last night, hoping you were having a good time and would come in and tell us about your experience. Looked like you picked a good game, albeit a little sloppy special teams and run defense.

My first Ravens game was in 1996 against the Bengals. It was at memorial stadium. We sat in a lower section right next to the tunnel that the ravens come out of. I remember to this day seeing Tony Siragusa going to the locker room and being in awe of how big that dude was. Lol. Had a head full of curly hair. Lol

socrates_07

Practice Squad
Hey @socrates_07 was thinking about you last night, hoping you were having a good time and would come in and tell us about your experience. Looked like you picked a good game, albeit a little sloppy special teams and run defense.
Unfortunately I was not able to share with you my impressions and experience earlier, I just arrived at home yesterday. During the time in the States (Baltimore, Washington DC and New York) we were really very busy.

I was very fascinated by the whole atmosphere in and in front of the stadium ... tailgating in Baltimore must be one of the best. (three days later I watched the Redskins vs Eagles game, tailgating in DC was by far not that impressive.. of course the whole situation is different).

I enjoyed the game very much although it was one-sided and I was sure that RG3 would play from the fourth quarter onwards. The only negative was the guy in front of me. Every 3-4 plays I saw only his back instead of the field. We changed seats a few times, but in the course of the first quarter those fans came to their seats and we ended up sitting on our original seats again. So the first quarter was over faster than I would have liked. In the first half, I couldn't really see the best plays, even though we kept asking the person in front to sit. In the fourth quarter, when the stadium was half empty, it was of course no longer a problem. Otherwise the seats would have been very good.

About the game, I expected it should be a quite easy win, although, of course, an upset is always possible. I‘ve got the Game Pass, so i will watch the game once more in the next days at home.

Before and after the game we spent a lot of time in the fan shops ... and we spent a lot of money. (two other Ravens fans in Austria asked me to buy jerseys and knit hats for them as well)

The fans and the stadium staff were very nice and some of them were very surprised that there are Austrian who mainly traveled to the States to watch this game.

I really hope it wasn’t my last Ravens game which I watched. And in the short term, I hope tomorrow they will secure home field advantage during playoffs and will win the Super Bowl Trophy. (which I was allowed to admire in Vienna a few weeks ago.. NO JOKE!!!)