• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The JT Money, The Steelers and The Zebras

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
Just watched Tomlin's presser. Haha he was so pissed about Tucker and our kickoff coverage. I like how acknowledged Tucker's greatness and didn't even bother to ice him.
Tomlin also commented on how Humphrey's great play . That punch out was reminiscent of the great plays Ed & Ray did consistently.

Tomlin was right to defer in overtime.

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
As poorly as our offensive line played and Lamar's 3 picks we still managed 26 points. Not too bad if you ask me.

And our offensive line was getting destroyed by the Steelers D. The Steelers D looks way better than ours.

I have to say if the Steelers properly rebuild their offense again, they will become a force again in the AFC North.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
John can't challenge that play. It was ruled an INT on the field, meaning its automatically reviewed as a turnover. There's no point in throwing the flag.

Technically speaking, I know there is an actual penalty, on coaches, who throw challenge flags in situations that aren't challenge-able. I don't think that would occur here, but John throwing the flag is moot.
I know there was the original year they had automatic reviews, but believe the coach doesn't get a penalty if he attempts to review a play that is automatically reviewed.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
i was looking at bill callahan's presser about how the redskins need to run the ball more and establish the run (especially on 1st down etc) and warren sharp has been literally gobsmacked - the redskins are team that runs the 4th most on 1st down in the 1st half of any team in the NFL

statistically 1st down is the worst down to run on and the best down to pass on so i figured id look at what the ravens did on 1st downs against the steelers because anecdotally it felt like the steelers were loading the box and we had no answers schematically or from a playcalling standpoint

some provisos before i give you these numbers
1) ive compiled this from the logs of each drive and not from re-watching the game so naturally a dropback where lamar ended up scrambling is counted as a run - so the numbers will be slightly run heavier than you'd expect by virtue of that fact
2) ive included snaps that were penalised except on the 1 case where the play was blown dead before anything could happen

ultimately we ran on 22/31 of our 1st downs (obviously some of that is related to point 1 above but the general trend is indicative)
that's outrageous and it set us up for failure

the data says the worst down in football to pass on is 3rd down and yet we were consistently creating difficult situations for ourselves and putting ourselves in obvious passing situations on 3rd down by virtue of running on 1st down

now there's many problems with this offence that go beyond pure run-pass balance and when to call what etc. but this is just an example of how predictable this supposedly revolutionary offence is

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
i was looking at bill callahan's presser about how the redskins need to run the ball more and establish the run (especially on 1st down etc) and warren sharp has been literally gobsmacked - the redskins are team that runs the 4th most on 1st down in the 1st half of any team in the NFL

statistically 1st down is the worst down to run on and the best down to pass on so i figured id look at what the ravens did on 1st downs against the steelers because anecdotally it felt like the steelers were loading the box and we had no answers schematically or from a playcalling standpoint

some provisos before i give you these numbers
1) ive compiled this from the logs of each drive and not from re-watching the game so naturally a dropback where lamar ended up scrambling is counted as a run - so the numbers will be slightly run heavier than you'd expect by virtue of that fact
2) ive included snaps that were penalised except on the 1 case where the play was blown dead before anything could happen

ultimately we ran on 22/31 of our 1st downs (obviously some of that is related to point 1 above but the general trend is indicative)
that's outrageous and it set us up for failure

the data says the worst down in football to pass on is 3rd down and yet we were consistently creating difficult situations for ourselves and putting ourselves in obvious passing situations on 3rd down by virtue of running on 1st down

now there's many problems with this offence that go beyond pure run-pass balance and when to call what etc. but this is just an example of how predictable this supposedly revolutionary offence is
Using this same metric what was our run pass ratio per down against the previous four teams? I’d like to see that breakdown, especially if you can do it by quarter.

D1City55

Pro Bowler
TBH. Steelers always play us hard no matter who's the QB. We did lose to them when they had freaking Charlie Batch at QB to stop our home win streak.

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
TBH. Steelers always play us hard no matter who's the QB. We did lose to them when they had freaking Charlie Batch at QB to stop our home win streak.

And we beat them with Ryan Mallett in the year that everyone died lol

You can basically throw out the stats and disregard who's playing or not when these two teams meet because it's always a battle.

D1City55

Pro Bowler
And we beat them with Ryan Mallett in the year that everyone died lol

You can basically throw out the stats and disregard who's playing or not when these two teams meet because it's always a battle.
Agreed, still concerned about the defense for other reasons, but it doesn't matter who's at QB when these two teams play. It's that type of game.