• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Defense: Secondary

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
dj swearinger offers us nothing on defence that we dont already have
deshon was a rangier guy which is nominally what jackson is

deshon was also a special teamer and swearinger isnt coming here to play special teams and back up chuck clark

there's a reason those 2 guys have been released and still not been signed yet

ike bynes and tj fort before we signed em? don't write certain players off

at least they have a track record

what does bennett jackson have? has he ever even played a snap in the NFL season? isn't he 28?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
ugh....What about Eric Berry? I don't know much about his health and where he is.

he's only played 4 games since the 2016 season

not sure he'll play again given how long he's been out - maybe he's waiting for a team to pick him up for a playoff run or something but the cowboys and browns were interested in the offseason but didnt add him to their 90 man rosters which suggests something might still be not fully healed

rossihunter2

Staff Member
ike bynes and tj fort before we signed em? don't write certain players off

at least they have a track record

what does bennett jackson have? has he ever even played a snap in the NFL season? isn't he 28?

they have a track record of being consistently average at best as strong safety types who are overwhelmed in coverage (like worse tony jefferson's)
chuck clark is our strong safety and worst case we've got anthony levine who can fill that box safety type role as the dime but we dont have a 2nd deep safety now that deshon elliott is gone

jackson also knows the defensive scheme already having been in it for 2 years

and while he's never done it in the regular season properly - at the beginning of his career he was someone who looked like they were primed to become a superstar type player on the back end when he was with the giants

there's no benefit to adding bucannon or swearinger - they add nothing to the defence and they dont play special teams - jackson likely plays special teams and adds depth as a deep safety

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
Can we just tell the Bears that Bennett is actually Eddie and bring Eddie Jackson here? Still pissed btw we missed out on my boy Byard. Can’t believe we didn’t go for him. That was my guy that year

rossihunter2

Staff Member
EHllSzbXkAIcYp4

3 patriots and 3 ravens in the top 10 in completion percentage allowed

also ahkello witherspoon who was probably my biggest ever draft crush

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
EHllSzbXkAIcYp4

3 patriots and 3 ravens in the top 10 in completion percentage allowed

also ahkello witherspoon who was probably my biggest ever draft crush

Crazy, McCourty has been targeted 12 times and has allowed just as many completions as he has interceptions. That's insane.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
as a whole new england's defence has a ratio currently of 1 td conceded to 18 ints on the year - that hasnt happened in a 7 game stretch since the 49ers in 1989/1990
Be interesting to see who the Niners' opponents were and how they compare to garbage NE played so far this season.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Be interesting to see who the Niners' opponents were and how they compare to garbage NE played so far this season.

oh i dont disagree with that sentiment and that sort of run wont continue but the rate at which new england is making bad qbs and teams look historically bad is pretty impressive

just the incredible dominant consistency against these bad offences is pretty cool no matter the competition - its not dissimilar to rejecting out of hand lamar's qb performance against the dolphins because it was the dolphins - and yet it clearly did mean a whole lot of something

i think the new england defence will not uphold those numbers and those crazy stats but they're still a pretty great team-defence

that being said they're not a defence filled with spectacular players - they create schematic pressure and capitalise on poor mistakes - and outside of maybe 2 games this year - lamar's not really made many mistakes

its going to be a real game of chess next sunday

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
oh i dont disagree with that sentiment and that sort of run wont continue but the rate at which new england is making bad qbs and teams look historically bad is pretty impressive

just the incredible dominant consistency against these bad offences is pretty cool no matter the competition - its not dissimilar to rejecting out of hand lamar's qb performance against the dolphins because it was the dolphins - and yet it clearly did mean a whole lot of something

i think the new england defence will not uphold those numbers and those crazy stats but they're still a pretty great team-defence

that being said they're not a defence filled with spectacular players - they create schematic pressure and capitalise on poor mistakes - and outside of maybe 2 games this year - lamar's not really made many mistakes

its going to be a real game of chess next sunday

Every time I watch them, I feel like opposing coaches go through game vs NE completely frozen. Teams play scared, never adjust anything on either side of the ball and are completely unprepared.

Bills gave them run for the money, I can't wait for that game to start.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Every time I watch them, I feel like opposing coaches go through game vs NE completely frozen. Teams play scared, never adjust anything on either side of the ball and are completely unprepared.

Bills gave them run for the money, I can't wait for that game to start.

teams either get to stuck in their own head and change their whole schemes and gameplans just because its the patriots and they dont want BB to outsmart them based on the film thats already out there - or they stick to their guns stubbornly to a fault without adjusting

BB and co just do the simple things like adjusting in-game and game-planning really well and not expecting players to do more than they can do - the ability to be chameleon's is their greatest strength but it means they've often got players and units that have either clear weaknesses or are fairly unspectacular

important to note with regards to our matchup with them - their offence is seriously undercooked right now - so dink-and-dunk with very little big play threat - the 2 best units in the game are our offence and their defence and we'll see but their offence might be the weakest unit on both teams

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
teams either get to stuck in their own head and change their whole schemes and gameplans just because its the patriots and they dont want BB to outsmart them based on the film thats already out there - or they stick to their guns stubbornly to a fault without adjusting

BB and co just do the simple things like adjusting in-game and game-planning really well and not expecting players to do more than they can do - the ability to be chameleon's is their greatest strength but it means they've often got players and units that have either clear weaknesses or are fairly unspectacular

important to note with regards to our matchup with them - their offence is seriously undercooked right now - so dink-and-dunk with very little big play threat - the 2 best units in the game are our offence and their defence and we'll see but their offence might be the weakest unit on both teams
I'd be prepared for both Sanu and Edelman to throw a pass against us.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
haha - they'll do a double pass - 2 backwards passes and then sanu throws a bomb deep to brady who's somehow got 5 steps on a db for a 60 yd td (im not even sure brady can run 60 yds)
no, Brady will drop it into Peters hands who will return it 80 yards for a game sealing TD and when we get the ball back to run the clock out we will falls start multiple times in a row