• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Venting Thread 2019: The Honeymoon is Over

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I don't like it...but I agree

we've got some cap space opening up this offseason and a load of draft picks (and while EDC clearly likes compiling draft picks he's already shown the willingness to move up in the draft to go get his guy if the price isnt too much)

now some of that cap space likely goes to ronnie and maybe marlon as well as some other home-grown guys potentially but it will still leave us with more space than we've had in years to go after top-end free agents at competitive market prices if we want or make sure we win with those tier 2 guys

too many needs to fill them with trades - my expectation is that unless someone insane becomes available at a reasonable price (for their talent) that we hold onto all our high picks - i could envision us trading a day 3 pick for someone who might help us out with some depth as the season goes on who's maybe in the last year of their deal but not more than that at this point in time

this year was always going to be a retooling year - i just didnt realise which bits of the team were going to need retooling... id assumed wed still have holes on offence that would need serious consideration to fix but ultimately we're only a couple of pieces away from a potentially dominant offence at this point with young players who are still developing together

the surprise is just how sparse of talent our defence seems to be in the front 7

the secondary cant really be criticised in terms of team building... we're onto our 5th and 6th corners playing snaps on defence on a week-to-week basis - of our initial roster we've lost 2 starting corners, 1 potential backup corner, 1 starting safety, 2 backup safeties + 1 player who's just got banged up and we'll see how much he practices this week given he's got a hamstring problem - 5 of those 7 guys are likely going to go on i/r (if elliott goes itll be 5 i mean) - no team can handle that much attrition at one position without falling apart a little

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Surely going to be a huge test for this team, starting with the Seahawks. Lamar can’t expect to run wild against that front 7, so I hope we have a passing game planned or a ground and pound attack to keep Russ off the field. I have no faith in our defense against some of the elite passers we’re about to face, and there’s quite a few of them (Russ, Brady, Watson), unless we somehow manage to trade for an elite pass rusher or Corner. Really tough stretch. It will definitely show the character of this team, but I’ll still remain hopeful no matter what. I still don’t trust the Clowns even against a soft schedule. Just win the division and we have a shot to get to the big dance.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'm trying to work out why we don't have more cap than we do?

brandon williams, Tony Jefferson and jo Flacco dead money>

shouldnt we be top 3 in cap next year? who the hell are we paying outside of earl thomas next year?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I'm trying to work out why we don't have more cap than we do?

brandon williams, Tony Jefferson and jo Flacco dead money>

shouldnt we be top 3 in cap next year? who the hell are we paying outside of earl thomas next year?

the big cap hits next year are

ET - 15m
Brandon Williams - 14m
Ronnie Stanley - 13m (this will come down if we extend him)
TJ - 11.5m (we save 7m by cutting him in the offseason)
Yanda - 11m
Tavon - 8m

but even with all of those guys we're still 10th in most cap space because we'll have hardly any dead money (flacco's dead money comes off the cap)

the reason we're not top 5 in cap space is because there's a load of teams with similarly not many large contracts on their books but also have a load of cap from this year that will rollover to 2020 also

there's also teams in that top 10 who have to pay a load of their own players some huge contacts in the upcoming offseason

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor

ET - 15m
Brandon Williams - 14m
Yanda - 11m
Tavon - 8m

but even with all of those guys we're still 10th in most cap space because we'll have hardly any dead money (flacco's dead money comes off the cap)

the reason we're not top 5 in cap space is because there's a load of teams with similarly not many large contracts on their books but also have a load of cap from this year that will rollover to 2020 also

there's also teams in that top 10 who have to pay a load of their own players some huge contacts in the upcoming offseason

I think this will be Yanda's last year. Oh shit we might invest in an interior O linesman which will of course leave us with a BUM in or two as usual ^_^

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I think this will be Yanda's last year. Oh shit we might invest in an interior O linesman which will of course leave us with a BUM in or two as usual ^_^

i mean we dont know but they gave him an extension so that he doesnt have to worry about his contract next year - my guess is he plays out next year and then calls it a day (if i were yanda id probably think that if i can manage it 1 more year then there's a much better chance of a superbowl)

if yanda finishes the year healthy and doesnt have to rehab anything or have any surgery then i reckon he plays in 2020, if he has a rough offseason program to get ready for the season then i could see him calling it quits - that's kinda what his process was for this year before he signed his extension

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
2021 will be our most realistic year for a SB if eric doesn't blow next years draft. We'll have a lot of cap.

Gotta lock up stanley.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
2021 will be our most realistic year for a SB if eric doesn't blow next years draft. We'll have a lot of cap.

Gotta lock up stanley.

stanley is legitimately on a trajectory to be the best tackle in the league

he's obviously got competition and future competition but he's been awesome

we complain about the dearth of OL quality in the league but there's a lot of good tackles in the league at the moment - problem is every year there's always lots who are injured but also those tackles are not spread evenly across the teams in the league

the eagles might have 3 legitimate tackles, the cowboys were in the same situation about 2-3 years ago

there's some good young guys who will be his competition for a while too methinks...

Stanley 25
Ramcyzk 25
Tunsil 25
La'el Collins 26

and some others

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
We could have had La'el Collins but dallas had the balls and we didn't

also when are we going to draft a player from LSU? was it banned?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
We could have had La'el Collins but dallas had the balls and we didn't

also when are we going to draft a player from LSU? was it banned?

we couldnt really have had la'el collins - he went udfa because he basically told teams not to bother picking him on day 3 or he'd sit out at which point he got to choose where he wanted to play and he wanted to play for the cowboys

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
we couldnt really have had la'el collins - he went udfa because he basically told teams not to bother picking him on day 3 or he'd sit out at which point he got to choose where he wanted to play and he wanted to play for the cowboys

what about the LSU question? So many great players from that program. Is there a reason why we've avoided them like they're

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
I just read on Rotoword how Alex Lewis has allegedly had two very good games replacing KO. Kinda sucks but I wonder how true it is since PFF is the grader

Tank

Hall of Famer

ET - 15m
Brandon Williams - 14m
Yanda - 11m
Tavon - 8m

Losing Jimmy Smith’s $16 mil. hit helps a ton.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
IN all seriousness, I really wonder what is EDC's mindset is it

" let's just see what we can do with this scrapheap of a defense and I'll conjure a plan to fix in next offseason''

'' Have to upgrade secondary or pass rush, Im serious about being successful this year, not successful with all things considered''.

well i was wrong about this - EDC has completely overhauled this defence since we had this discussion and it's worked and it was fairly inexpensive too - he looks like a bit of a genius in light of this - not much to vent about right now

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
well i was wrong about this - EDC has completely overhauled this defence since we had this discussion and it's worked and it was fairly inexpensive too - he looks like a bit of a genius in light of this - not much to vent about right now
when was this conversation?

Pretty pissed some of our TD drives against the Bengals didn't milk much time, combine that with the defense kept getting turnovers we really lost the TOP battle.

That's all I've got