• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Next Up: @ Rams

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
@balfan23
I do agree for the most part Donald will be lining up against Bozeman, but what makes him so good and so versatile is his ability to line up anywhere on the line.

Dreaj Foge

Practice Squad
We were a fan base who got used to people heaping disrespect on our QB. Most, but not all, of us came to his defense. It was hard to at times, because he was maddeningly inconsistent. At least we know that he had some really big moments when the lights were bright in January - and not just our SB run. He also played well enough in 2011 and 2014 to put us in the big game if we just had the ball bounce our way once or twice more.

That era is over. A new one began mid-season 2018 and the early returns are quite encouraging, to say the least.

Goff gets heat, because he's now gotten paid. You get paid big and if you don't put yourself in the top 10 performers, you get deemed as trash. We're an opportunistic defense. Not perfect, but if you screw up, we can make you pay. A key to this game for the Rams will be not hurting themselves and the person most likely to do that is Goff. Consequently, I suspect we'll be seeing heavy doses of Gurley. One of our better run stopping DTs is going to be out, so our ability to limit the run game and force 3rd and long will be big.

To me the most interesting thing about this match up will be seeing how Roman puts together a game plan to try to neutralize Donald. We just can't allow him to wreck the game and absolutely cannot allow him to wreck our young QB. I'm sure he'll line up against our LG and abuse him. I expect us to bring TEs in motion or line up with our FB to help out and run plays away from where he lines up.

Cross country road game, prime time vs an opponent that has their back against the wall (given that the NFC WC contenders have solid records) ... that's not a recipe for an easy win.

At the end of the day stopping the Rams is completely reliant on shutting down their running game, Goff excels at play action...which is useless when Gurley is getting stuffed and necessitating 3rd and long

Not really sure what was going on with Gurley, but it appears as if he’s back, what better opportunity than the Ravens D (whom I’m actually starting this week in my FF League) to either confirm he’s back and face the grim reality that this season is borderline over.

I’m fairly confident the Rams are going to give your steamroller team of late (btw, I thoroughly enjoyed your Patriots W) their best shot.

@Dreaj Foge ... when you say "lifelong" ... did you follow them pre-1995 when they were in LA? If so, did you root for them in St Louis? I don't know how that works. When the Colts left Baltimore, they were (and still are) dead to me. They aren't even the Colts ... they are Indy. It is about city, not jersey. It took a couple years for me to latch onto the Ravens (of course, becoming a SB champion within 4 years of their existence helps lol). I was living in MN in 1996 and had become a Vikings fan, but turned back to my Baltimore sports roots and have gradually become a rabid Ravens fan.

Dreaj Foge

Practice Squad
@Dreaj Foge ... when you say "lifelong" ... did you follow them pre-1995 when they were in LA? If so, did you root for them in St Louis? I don't know how that works. When the Colts left Baltimore, they were (and still are) dead to me. They aren't even the Colts ... they are Indy. It is about city, not jersey. It took a couple years for me to latch onto the Ravens (of course, becoming a SB champion within 4 years of their existence helps lol). I was living in MN in 1996 and had become a Vikings fan, but turned back to my Baltimore sports roots and have gradually become a rabid Ravens fan.
Since the days of Roman Gabriel and George Allen

Most fans I know gave up on them after the move, something about them horns so yeah I rooted for them while they were in StLouis, I suppose it all worked out in the end.

How the Colts bailed on a City that had the diehard fan base that were the Baltimore Colts with that ridiculous midnight moving van film, is a black eye on the NFL

Two different situations that I could go on and on about, alas I’m actually pecking this off an iPad and I’d probably end up boring you

And honestly, STL screwing up one of thee best team uni’s in sports (my bias opinion of course) was almost...almost as bad as the move!

Last edited:

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Yellow and Purple and the field huh, coulda swore I saw all white for yours but thanks for the correction

There’s an NBA team down the road that wears yellow and purple, lol
Yeah our team's Twitter account announced a few days ago.

As a Blazers fan, I can't STAND that purple and yellow team, but I'm sure you understand lol.

Most fans I know gave up on them after the move, something about them horns so yeah I rooted for them while they were in StLouis, I suppose it all worked out in the end.

How the Colts bailed on a City that had the diehard fan base that were the Baltimore Colts with that ridiculous midnight moving van film, is a black eye on the NFL

Two different situations that I could go on and on about, alas I’m actually pecking this off an iPad and I’d probably end up boring you
Nah - I would not be bored talking old school football.

Wow ... ancient history. Crazy though the connection between the 2 teams. Rosenbloom and Irsay swapping these 2 franchises. Baltimore was the loser in that transaction, since the moment that fat drunken basterd touched the Colts he turned them to shit. It took his death and the drafting of Manning before that franchise became anything but a laughing stock.

Another connection few people know (or probably care) is how the Colts were in the West and were something of a rival of both the Packers and the Rams. Was very odd being an east cost team in a Western Conference.

Gabriel and Snow on offense, Deacon, Olsen, Grier and later Youngblood on defense were the guys I most remember from that era.

Dreaj Foge

Practice Squad
Nah - I would not be bored talking old school football.

Wow ... ancient history. Crazy though the connection between the 2 teams. Rosenbloom and Irsay swapping these 2 franchises. Baltimore was the loser in that transaction, since the moment that fat drunken basterd touched the Colts he turned them to shit. It took his death and the drafting of Manning before that franchise became anything but a laughing stock.

Another connection few people know (or probably care) is how the Colts were in the West and were something of a rival of both the Packers and the Rams. Was very odd being an east cost team in a Western Conference.

Gabriel and Snow on offense, Deacon, Olsen, Grier and later Youngblood on defense were the guys I most remember from that era.
True words my man, we did win the deal perhaps as Caroll Rosenbloom was pretty good man, unfortunately he met Georgia...who the heck knows what really happened but one thing is certain...during the Rams farewell game in Anaheim during an extra point attempt, on TV uncensored, was a banner unfurled 2nd level that read “Georgia is a C#n%” (ouch) so you had a fat drunken Bastid annnnnnnnnd we had uh Georgia?

Tough call lol

Which pretty much sums it up

My best memories from the Colts were;

Jim O’Brien #80 trotting on the field, I was 12 at the time...The kick-is goooooooooood!
Bubba, the Great Mike Curtis and some of the lesser knowns but personal favorites Bruce Laird, Don McCauley and yes even number 7 Bert Jones

Last edited:

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

And honestly, STL screwing up one of thee best team uni’s in sports (my bias opinion of course) was almost...almost as bad as the move!
so you must know the former owner of the Rams and Colts exchanged teams in a tax saving exchange then. Yes, our hated Robert Irsay. Of course he didn't own the Rams long.

BTW, Deacon Jones could be the NFL sack leader if they kept a record of all sacks back then.

Dreaj Foge

Practice Squad
so you must know the former owner of the Rams and Colts exchanged teams in a tax saving exchange then. Yes, our hated Robert Irsay. Of course he didn't own the Rams long.

BTW, Deacon Jones could be the NFL sack leader if they kept a record of all sacks back then.
That’s the rumor, but lemme tell ya, that little slap upside the head maneuver would probably make him a poor man in today’s NFL

It’s Deacon or Merlin as greatest Ram in my book

About the two rich guys, sounds about right...

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
That’s the rumor, but lemme tell ya, that little slap upside the head maneuver would probably make him a poor man in today’s NFL

that's true but there were a lot of players who would be fined quite a bit now, ie Chris Hanburger. They didn't call him the Hang man for nothing.

Dreaj Foge

Practice Squad
that's true but there were a lot of players who would be fined quite a bit now, ie Chris Hanburger. They didn't call him the Hang man for nothing.
Ah yeah, Redskins LB, honestly tho I do recall him during the George Allen “over the hill gang” era (aw crap you really got my pea brain deep diving) he was a playa on that team...can’t honestly recall the hang man thing as I was pretty much a greener than average teenager then

Son of a....

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Ah yeah, Redskins LB, honestly tho I do recall him during the George Allen “over the hill gang” era (aw crap you really got my pea brain deep diving) he was a playa on that team...can’t honestly recall the hang man thing as I was pretty much a greener than average teenager then

Son of a....
yep, it was the over the hill gang era

About the two rich guys, sounds about right...
I'd definitely agree that its between Deacon and Merlin for greatest Ram of all time (or at least the old LA version).

But Roman was so memorable. A player of stature beyond his days. A dear friend of mine who was a helluva football player - 6'5" 220 ... always wanted to be a QB and his coaches wouldn't let him. "You're too big". He's like "What about Roman?" They made him a TE and he was All State in VA in HS. Of course, he had what people now think is the quintessential measurements for a QB.

Coaches putting guys in a box. Happened back then ... still happening today.

My friend still breaks out his ancient Rams #18 jersey every now and then.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
True words my man, we did win the deal perhaps as Caroll Rosenbloom was pretty good man, unfortunately he met Georgia...who the heck knows what really happened but one thing is certain...during the Rams farewell game in Anaheim during an extra point attempt, on TV uncensored, was a banner unfurled 2nd level that read “Georgia is a C#n%” (ouch) so you had a fat drunken Bastid annnnnnnnnd we had uh Georgia?

Tough call lol

Which pretty much sums it up

My best memories from the Colts were;

Jim O’Brien #80 trotting on the field, I was 12 at the time...The kick-is goooooooooood!
Bubba, the Great Mike Curtis and some of the lesser knowns but personal favorites Bruce Laird, Don McCauley and yes even number 7 Bert Jones

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
I’m going to this game. Hopefully it isn’t a trap game. Can’t take Aaron donold, Ramsey, and Wade Philips lightly. Hopefully we start off hot and Jared Goff cracks under pressure. Let’s goooo

I’m going to this game. Hopefully it isn’t a trap game. Can’t take Aaron donold, Ramsey, and Wade Philips lightly. Hopefully we start off hot and Jared Goff cracks under pressure. Let’s goooo
Oh no way this is a trap game for us. The Jets could be a trap game. I don't see any other trap games on our schedule. All other opponents are playoff contenders or bitter division rivals.

We know this is not an easy opponent and on the road ... if we don't come up with a win, it won't be because we took it lightly.

I think Harbaugh is really trying to be guarded against allowing this team to get too high on themselves. The whole, "no bouquets" and "not taking the bait" talk when people want to lavish praise. I suspect other veteran leaders are also driving it home. The good thing is - despite only being 22 - I don't feel like Lamar needs it. He seems super self motivated.