• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Around the NFL: News and Rumors

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Don't forget Arizona but thet also don't fit the winner mantra Cousins wants. Unless the Jags decide to trade Bortles and go after Cousins. The Vikings could make a run at him if they think Bridgewater won't be the same after his knee injury.

what sort of cap situation is arizona in?
im assuming arizona is in a rebuild now that arians, palmer and maybe fitzgerald (although the latest is that he's returning) are no longer part of the organisation...

i feel like arizona would be a big candidate to take a qb high

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
what sort of cap situation is arizona in?
im assuming arizona is in a rebuild now that arians, palmer and maybe fitzgerald (although the latest is that he's returning) are no longer part of the organisation...

i feel like arizona would be a big candidate to take a qb high
They have just short of 30 mil cap room and no QB. I think they might be a candidate to make a move to get one high and grab one of the Vikings free agents if they don't get too greedy for money.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Unless the Jags decide to trade Bortles and go after Cousins.

i just looked into this - because of his surgery or whatever injury he has now got, his 5th year option is now fully guaranteed which makes bringing in a free agent qb virtually impossible (likewise trading)

who'd have thought that both washington and jacksonville would both be out of the running for cousins before the end of january?

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Agreed. Sickens me that we lost the last two games against them (both of them being close). @RavensMania , I continue to see why you became a refugee and joined the good guys.
I laughed so hard when I saw this trade. They also traded fuller one of the better top slot cb in the NFL and extended smith 4/94m 71 guaranteed. They could have given Cousins the same amount per yr over 5 yrs with those guarantees last yr.

Glad to be a Ravens fan, unfortunately some of you guys don’t know how good you have it.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
i just looked into this - because of his surgery or whatever injury he has now got, his 5th year option is now fully guaranteed which makes bringing in a free agent qb virtually impossible (likewise trading)

who'd have thought that both washington and jacksonville would both be out of the running for cousins before the end of january?
Only if he is still injured day 1 of the league yr is it fully guaranteed.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I laughed so hard when I saw this trade. They also traded fuller one of the better top slot cb in the NFL and extended smith 4/94m 71 guaranteed. They could have given Cousins the same amount per yr over 5 yrs with those guarantees last yr.

Glad to be a Ravens fan, unfortunately some of you guys don’t know how good you have it.

yeah i mean smith's contract is now 5 years $111 mill and $76 mill in guarantees - essentially its a 3 year deal with 2 option years...

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
he's got just over 6 weeks to be fully medically cleared from wrist surgery - given that it's an injury he's had before i have to think that they have to plan around him being a $19 mill qb for a year
That's going to be close then. March 14th is over 6 weeks away.

I'd think they will end up keeping him and may be stuck with the 5 yr guarantee. It will be interesting to see if they try and draft someone.

How long will it take for his injury to be healed. What happened to him?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
That's going to be close then. March 14th is over 6 weeks away.

I'd think they will end up keeping him and may be stuck with the 5 yr guarantee. It will be interesting to see if they try and draft someone.

How long will it take for his injury to be healed. What happened to him?

Sorry that’s what I meant by the 6 weeks - that that’s how long he has to recover or he’s guaranteed

I couldn’t find any information about how long his recovery is expected to take especially given it’s a problem he had last offseason but they decided not to do surgery and he was on the injury report all year with it

I almost wonder if them beating the steelers and bills might have been the worst thing for the jags for 2 reasons:
1) it made the decision on whether bortles is a viable qb more complicated
2) it delayed him getting surgery reducing his time to recover before his contract is fully guaranteed

rossihunter2

Staff Member
This is a good way of looking at it.

I think it makes a lot of sense tbh as a deal:

He’s gonna be making just under $23 mill/year average which is very fair money for a franchise qb but the 3 years also end with him at 36 which makes a lot of sense too

We don’t know the details of the contract breakdown because it doesn’t become official until 14/3/18 but I’d imagine it’s easy to get out of with not much dead money in year 4 and 5 - maybe lots of incentives and roster bonuses

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
I just want to point since out we have established a 23m per year average for a franchise QB as fair so we can now stop criticizing Flaccos 20m average which he is still serving out.

Last edited:

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I just want to point since out we have established a 23m per year average for a franchise QB as fair so we can now stop criticizing Flaccos 20m average which he is still serving out.

i mean technically it's $22 mill/year but the same point stands - criticising this front office for flacco's cap hit was always a ridiculous notion... the cost of a franchise qb has always been large - it's only ever been noteworthy because fans have always picked up on him being the highest cap hit in the league whenever he gets re-signed or whatever... he's not even in the top 5 yearly average

JO_75

Hall of Famer
With A projected cap of $176M, teams with QB issues Cap situations are as followed:

Browns - $103M
Jets - $72M
Vikings - $57M
Bills - $29M
Broncos - $23M
Cardinals - $12M
Jaguars - $10M

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Sorry that’s what I meant by the 6 weeks - that that’s how long he has to recover or he’s guaranteed

I couldn’t find any information about how long his recovery is expected to take especially given it’s a problem he had last offseason but they decided not to do surgery and he was on the injury report all year with it

I almost wonder if them beating the steelers and bills might have been the worst thing for the jags for 2 reasons:
1) it made the decision on whether bortles is a viable qb more complicated
2) it delayed him getting surgery reducing his time to recover before his contract is fully guaranteed
I had the same discussion with a friend, but I told him they had the game wrapped up and let them back in the game.

You know, the classic Denny Green

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
With A projected cap of $176M, teams with QB issues Cap situations are as followed:

Browns - $103M
Jets - $72M
Vikings - $57M
Bills - $29M
Broncos - $23M
Cardinals - $12M
Jaguars - $10M

Damn the Jags have been spending some money.

Browns reportedly one of six teams to miss on the Alex Smith sweepsteaks

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...ssed-on-alex-smith-trade-before-redskins-won/

It just doesn't sound right. The Alex Smith Sweepstakes. Omg.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Live footage of the NFL owners meeting moments after the Redskins traded for Alex Smith.

Dan Snyder: I think I've learned a lot
Robert Kraft: Here's what you've learned.

JO_75

Hall of Famer

49ers and Jimmy G are moving closer to a long term contract according to PFT. Curious to see if he lands a deal at, below or above $23M per year.