• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Around the NFL: News and Rumors

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
also seems like an odd move for mahomes to sign before the new tv rights come in too - he's gonna have to have percentage of cap language in his contract of this is going to look like an awful deal for him when you hit year 4 or 5 a bit like tyron smith's deal looks awful now
This might have f*** up the entire QB market for teams depending on the structure of the contract

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
This might have f*** up the entire QB market for teams depending on the structure of the contract
There is no other like mahommes so im not sure if the market could be too messed up. On the bright side maybe its a new standard where both sides are happy

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
the only way this changes things for other qbs is if there's an escalator in there related to percentage of future salary caps - otherwise it probably doesnt change the market much - it resets it but that's to be expected whenever mahomes was going to hit the market
I didn't mean to say that other qbs are likely to ask for a similar deal. The contracts we've seen over the last couple of years were mainly 4-5 year deals. Now I could see them asking for 7-9 year deals. No matter what happens new contracts change expecations.
On another note the cowboys hahahahahahahaha and dak prescott GG.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I didn't mean to say that other qbs are likely to ask for a similar deal. The contracts we've seen over the last couple of years were mainly 4-5 year deals. Now I could see them asking for 7-9 year deals. No matter what happens new contracts change expecations.
On another note the cowboys hahahahahahahaha and dak prescott GG.

i guess we'll see - the language will be important but honestly over the long-term this sort of deal as it exists with the details we know about so far is definitely a winner for the team over the player (not that mahomes is going to sniff at 400m+) - what will be interesting will be if there's escalators

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
i saw 10 years and knew he'd be over 40m/yr

to think joe flacco's 5yr 120m deal in 2013 was a massive deal at that point in time - the numbers we're dealing with now are absurd by comparison
Bro 400 million. Thats fking crazy. I dnt even think anyone can top that

JO_75

Hall of Famer
This might be the most insane part about Mahomes' deal. Currently, the Chiefs only have so few players locked up in future years. Their Kicker Harrison Butker, Mahomes and their rookies from the 2020 class are the only ones locked in through 2024. In 2025, the only player under contract is Patrick Mahomes. We have to wait and see how this is structured but they are going to have to fiddle around a bit in order to field a roster.