• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Around the NFL: News and Rumors

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Imagine a reverse Favre but with a future Hall of Fame WR who wanted to be a Packer. Calvin Johnson did an interview with CBS Sports where he said Rodgers would tell him he should join the Packers and that if he was on a contending team, he may have not retired when he did. He also discussed his fallout with the Lions over money.

Johnson said that, had he had the option to play for a contender, he may have continued playing beyond the 2015 season. In fact, Johnson said that Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers often lobbied for him to swap his Lions blue for Packers green when the division foes played each other.

"Whenever we played Green Bay, whenever Aaron Rodgers was over on our sideline, he would say, 'Hey man, you need to come on over here,'" Johnson recalled. "I said, 'Hey, I wish I could.'"

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...rs-recruitment-pitch-ongoing-rift-with-lions/

Johnson is now 35 but given Larry Fitzgerald is 37 potentially playing next year at 38, Derrick Mason played until he was 37. I mean, he could come back and play for 1-3 years if he wanted. I imagine with this comment he would only come back if he could play for the Packers though.

Last edited:

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
But on another note, I see that Kyler is getting A LOT of praise for the media. Dude's a stud, but LET'S see how he does the last 8 games. I'm sure he'll be solid tho.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
But on another note, I see that Kyler is getting A LOT of praise for the media. Dude's a stud, but LET'S see how he does the last 8 games. I'm sure he'll be solid tho.

yeah its a completely disingenuous point that ive seen too many times now in the last week

lamar didnt win MVP in the first 8 weeks of the year - he won it in the last 8 weeks of the year when he threw for 22 TDs and 1 pick and led the most prolific rushing attack in NFL history and 1 of the most efficient offences in football outsiders DVOA metric history

the ravens and lamar were none of those things through the first 8 weeks (well maybe the rushing attack was but not the rest)

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
yeah its a completely disingenuous point that ive seen too many times now in the last week

lamar didnt win MVP in the first 8 weeks of the year - he won it in the last 8 weeks of the year when he threw for 22 TDs and 1 pick and led the most prolific rushing attack in NFL history and 1 of the most efficient offences in football outsiders DVOA metric history

the ravens and lamar were none of those things through the first 8 weeks (well maybe the rushing attack was but not the rest)
Besides, with the weapons that Kyler has in his disposal, he better put up better passing numbers than Lamar did. Plus, this Lamar/Kyler "debate" would only make sense if we played them this season as opposed to last season.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Besides, with the weapons that Kyler has in his disposal, he better put up better passing numbers than Lamar did. Plus, this Lamar/Kyler "debate" would only make sense if we played them this season as opposed to last season.

there's a lot of people hoping for kyler to be the 3rd straight 2nd year QB to win MVP which i get and superficially people are drawing similarities between him and Lamar stylistically because of Kyler's success on the ground so far this year

let's hope lamar puts the whole debate to bed though by turning it on in the 2nd half of the season again

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Bills fans showed support for their QB after Josh Allen's grandmother passed away and donated money to Oishei Children’s Hospital in Western New York.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor

Silently this is one of the things I think about. Nobody ever said the Ravens had weapons on offense until Lamar stepped in. Tells me everything I need to know about Lamar.

Both Kyler Murray and Josh Allen (he is playing extremely well) have 2 of the top 5 receivers in the league.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
Silently this is one of the things I think about. Nobody ever said the Ravens had weapons on offense until Lamar stepped in. Tells me everything I need to know about Lamar.

Both Kyler Murray and Josh Allen (he is playing extremely well) have 2 of the top 5 receivers in the league.
Having a #1 WR helps a lot. QBs get away with mediocre throws. This is something which isn't well known here. We have never had a true #1 wr around here. I wouldn't be surprised if Edc traded for Julio or Ridley next season

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Bills fans showed support for their QB after Josh Allen's grandmother passed away and donated money to Oishei Children’s Hospital in Western New York.

Bills fans travel pretty well too. But fuck you Field Yates for referring to week 17 of the 2017 season.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Drew Brees' injury was worse than expected. Brees suffered five fractured ribs and a collapsed lung. Out 2-3 weeks. Sean Payton didn't name a starter.

Giants' HC Judge fired Colombo as OL coach today. From what I have heard, Judge had been starting to help coach the O Line up himself since the line was having so many issues. Colombo had been forcing Andrew Thomas to change his pass sets/tech, and it was making him play horribly. Since abandoning those changes Thomas has looked much better the past few weeks, and so has much of the OL (outside of Lemieux who is just not ready yet, but forced to play with Hernandez out w/Covid).

Originally Judge hired DeGuglielmo as a consultant to help out, but Colombo threw a fit upon hearing about it and got into a verbal altercation with Judge that led to his firing. DeGuglielmo will now take over as OL coach.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Giants' HC Judge fired Colombo as OL coach today. From what I have heard, Judge had been starting to help coach the O Line up himself since the line was having so many issues. Colombo had been forcing Andrew Thomas to change his pass sets/tech, and it was making him play horribly. Since abandoning those changes Thomas has looked much better the past few weeks, and so has much of the OL (outside of Lemieux who is just not ready yet, but forced to play with Hernandez out w/Covid).

Originally Judge hired DeGuglielmo as a consultant to help out, but Colombo threw a fit upon hearing about it and got into a verbal altercation with Judge that led to his firing. DeGuglielmo will now take over as OL coach.

yeah i was reading about this a little bit today - given how inexperienced he is as a coach it feels wild to me that colombo would throw such a hissy fit over bringing in a more experienced consultant who'd been coaching OL for 12 years in the NFL (completely ignoring his college experiences) before Colombo even started coaching