• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Around the NFL: News and Rumors

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Except that there aren't zero consequences. Beasley is choosing not to get vaccinated knowing the restrictions that the NFL (his private employer) is enforcing for those who aren't, and then proceeds to complain about those restrictions, which is very hypocritical.
I mean I don't think its hypocritical. He's just ignorant for thinking that he shouldn't have to get vaccinated AND he shouldn't be punished for not getting vaccinated.

Stupid/ignorant? Yes. I wouldn't call it hypocritical though.

I'm suggesting that many people that think like him don't believe that their "beliefs" or thought process should come with consequences. I'm extremely happy when society, or in this case, his employer, informs him of how mistaken he is in thinking that his choices don't come with consequences. If he takes a look around, he'll realize nobody is coming to his defense. His teammates likely won't be happy with some of his choices, the NFLPA clearly doesn't give a shit what he thinks, and nobody is going to beg him to stick around if he decides to retire.

I'm quite frankly still a bit surprised at the level of players who aren't vaccinated. It's been growing (apparently up to 55% per the last report I've seen), and its hard to tell what % of those players who aren't are fringe-roster players who may not make a team regardless. But it would certainly be somewhat of a travesty and a pretty gigantic competitive disadvantage if some teams are forced into 2020 rule sets due to lack of desire from the players to get vaccinated. Obviously no possible argument about lack of inventory, preferential treatment, or any of those other lines used previously. Pretty much anybody of legal age can get vaccinated quickly at this point if they so choose.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Except that there aren't zero consequences. Beasley is choosing not to get vaccinated knowing the restrictions that the NFL (his private employer) is enforcing for those who aren't, and then proceeds to complain about those restrictions, which is very hypocritical.

i mean i only really somewhat care about that - i more care that he's being selfish in a global health crisis about something that wouldn't affect him negatively at all

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I mean I don't think its hypocritical. He's just ignorant for thinking that he shouldn't have to get vaccinated AND he shouldn't be punished for not getting vaccinated.

Stupid/ignorant? Yes. I wouldn't call it hypocritical though.

I'm suggesting that many people that think like him don't believe that their "beliefs" or thought process should come with consequences. I'm extremely happy when society, or in this case, his employer, informs him of how mistaken he is in thinking that his choices don't come with consequences. If he takes a look around, he'll realize nobody is coming to his defense. His teammates likely won't be happy with some of his choices, the NFLPA clearly doesn't give a shit what he thinks, and nobody is going to beg him to stick around if he decides to retire.

I'm quite frankly still a bit surprised at the level of players who aren't vaccinated. It's been growing (apparently up to 55% per the last report I've seen), and its hard to tell what % of those players who aren't are fringe-roster players who may not make a team regardless. But it would certainly be somewhat of a travesty and a pretty gigantic competitive disadvantage if some teams are forced into 2020 rule sets due to lack of desire from the players to get vaccinated. Obviously no possible argument about lack of inventory, preferential treatment, or any of those other lines used previously. Pretty much anybody of legal age can get vaccinated quickly at this point if they so choose.

a surprising number of people dont understand that society has always demanded people be inoculated before entering society... most kids in most western nations have to get their immunisations before being allowed to attend school

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
Not really. It's certainly thoughtful at the very least. Like literally where would the foundations of his beliefs come from?

Me personally I don't give a shit what he thinks or what he complains about. He's my new poster boy for the ignorance of Americans who think they have the right to do whatever they want, whenever they want, with zero consequences. If he doesn't want to get vaccinated, then don't. Just don't be surprised if others who don't share your beliefs make your life a little more uncomfortable for that belief, and also, criticize you (including publicly) for it. Comfort isn't a right.

My response was about the derogatory comments made about his race and religion. Completely uncalled for and ignorant.

Just unnecessary, frustrating, and small minded. shouldn't be allowed on these boards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
Not really. It's certainly thoughtful at the very least. Like literally where would the foundations of his beliefs come from?

Me personally I don't give a shit what he thinks or what he complains about. He's my new poster boy for the ignorance of Americans who think they have the right to do whatever they want, whenever they want, with zero consequences. If he doesn't want to get vaccinated, then don't. Just don't be surprised if others who don't share your beliefs make your life a little more uncomfortable for that belief, and also, criticize you (including publicly) for it. Comfort isn't a right.

1. The United States can and has done whatever they want since it's inception.

2. Phenomenal, wacky, and fun country, damn I love it.

3. Is he really the poster boy for this situation? Our real “ poster boy” looks nothing like him... The problem is the inability to convince the black and latino community to accept the vaccine. Half my family still lives in a dump downtown Baltimore and won't get the vaccine because they don't understand the science or trust the health care system. That's why i take it seriously when i go hometo encourage more minorities to take the shot.

Don't be so quick to put people in a box and pass judgment. Cheers man

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
a surprising number of people dont understand that society has always demanded people be inoculated before entering society... most kids in most western nations have to get their immunisations before being allowed to attend school
And I don't dispute that. The counter-argument you will get, which I don't necessarily agree with, is that these particular immunizations a) haven't even been actually approved for usage (for example, the FDA in America hasn't approved these as effective treatments. They've merely granted emergency use authorization, which are technically different), and b) these vaccinations in the US haven't really gone through the more rigorous clinical trials that a normal vaccination has and would need to do in order to get FDA approval.

Me personally... I view that as a cop out, because there are very little signs that the FDA won't eventually approve it, and I also typically challenge those who believe that not enough testing on the vaccination has been done to tell me, precisely, how much more testing they want. And literally 0% of the people I've asked have responded with an answer. As became the case with COVID when it first become a thing, everybody is an expert, except nobody is. All the people that have never heard of the FDA, the CDC, or have any vague understanding of the requirements for a vaccine in clinical trials all of the sudden have an opinion on it.

The reality is that it's all a cover for the majority of those people. They're not going to get vaccinated. They're using convenience excuses as a reason not to, instead of just openly and honestly admitting that they don't want to because of whatever reason they have. At least I give Cole credit for that. He stood up and said "I'm not doing it and its because I don't think I need it". Very few people have the balls to actually do that. They usually find some irrational reason for not doing so, or try to hide behind science they don't understand or get all upset because a couple people in a population of millions had side effects that scare them. If they had done 5 minutes of research on the side effects of pretty much any treatment the FDA has approved, they'd realize its all normal in the process. You see commercials in the states for allergy medications, fully approved and welcomed by society, that list 38 side effects, including death.

Last edited:

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
1. The United States can and has done whatever they want since it's inception.

2. Phenomenal, wacky, and fun country, damn I love it.

3. Is he really the poster boy for this situation? Our real “ poster boy” looks nothing like him... The problem is the inability to convince the black and latino community to accept the vaccine. Half my family still lives in a dump downtown Baltimore and won't get the vaccine because they don't understand the science or trust the health care system. That's why i take it seriously when i go hometo encourage more minorities to take the shot.

Don't be so quick to put people in a box and pass judgment. Cheers man

Well, not really. He's the poster boy because the black or latino populations who have doubts about vaccinations are doing so out of a lack of education on the subject, as you and I agree with. They, for lack of a better term, can still be persuaded. And over time, I think they will be.

Beasley will likely never be persuaded to get vaccinated. It's not that he doesn't understand the science... he just disagrees with it, and uses his own "science" to justify why he doesn't want to do it. He's the bigger problem, because there's little to no prospect of him ever getting vaccinated. There's not much "convincing" to be done. And this is pretty much based on his own words, so I feel extremely comfortable passing judgment on somebody based on public words that they've used to describe their thought process.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Well, not really. He's the poster boy because the black or latino populations who have doubts about vaccinations are doing so out of a lack of education on the subject, as you and I agree with. They, for lack of a better term, can still be persuaded. And over time, I think they will be.

Beasley will likely never be persuaded to get vaccinated. It's not that he doesn't understand the science... he just disagrees with it, and uses his own "science" to justify why he doesn't want to do it. He's the bigger problem, because there's little to no prospect of him ever getting vaccinated. There's not much "convincing" to be done. And this is pretty much based on his own words, so I feel extremely comfortable passing judgment on somebody based on public words that they've used to describe their thought process.

i think also there's some community/historical skepticism/mistrust within black and latinx communities of treatments that are felt to be vaguely "experimental" based on a history of being experimented on

it's a skepticism that's incredibly valid - but you're right that education and community support has a massive chance to decrease the vaccine hesitancy within those groups

JO_75

Hall of Famer

this is super cool and i really hope it starts to open the gates to others (because odds are there's other closeted guys in the league too) and to allow LGBTQ football players to come out (if they want to) and be comfortable being out in the league

Dude is smart, coming off a 2.5 sack season with a good chance of being cut, guaranteed himself a spot on the roster and put the Raiders in a bad spot if they do cut him if he doesn't perform up to his terrible contract.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Dude is smart, coming off a 2.5 sack season with a good chance of being cut, guaranteed himself a spot on the roster and put the Raiders in a bad spot if they do cut him if he doesn't perform up to his terrible contract.
Well, couple of problems here:

1. He had a zero percent chance of being cut for the 2021 season. He already did a contract restructure back in March to clear over $4M in cap space for the Raiders, all of his 2021 compensation is fully guaranteed, and his current year cap hit is just under $5M, so not unreasonable at all. Plus, if they did cut him, they'd save practically no money (a whopping $250K).
2. It would be hard to argue that the Raiders would be in a "bad spot" if they cut a player who wasn't performing. Nobody cared one bit when the Rams drafted Michael Sam and subsequently cut him before he ever played a regular season snap. And he was the best defensive player from the best College Football conference in the World, so its not like his pedigree was lacking.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
i think also there's some community/historical skepticism/mistrust within black and latinx communities of treatments that are felt to be vaguely "experimental" based on a history of being experimented on

it's a skepticism that's incredibly valid - but you're right that education and community support has a massive chance to decrease the vaccine hesitancy within those groups
Right, but that's my point. There's a segment of the unvaccinated population that is skeptical of the process based on historical events, and likely needs further education on the subject. That just requires more time.

There's another segment of the population that has both religious and "scientific" (loosely described) reasons for not getting vaccinated. Those people are highly unlikely to be persuaded in any way. This would be the camp that Beasley falls into.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Right, but that's my point. There's a segment of the unvaccinated population that is skeptical of the process based on historical events, and likely needs further education on the subject. That just requires more time.

There's another segment of the population that has both religious and "scientific" (loosely described) reasons for not getting vaccinated. Those people are highly unlikely to be persuaded in any way. This would be the camp that Beasley falls into.

i was agreeing with you lol - was just elaborating on your point that's all...

JO_75

Hall of Famer
The next step to saying bye to Soldier Field. Arlington Heights approve measure to allow the Bears to build a stadium.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Wink has to cue up our pass rush vs. the Steelers. Here is their starting OL.

LT - Chukwuma Okorafor (former RT)
LG - Kevin Dotson (4 career games started)
C - JC Hassenauer (4 career games started)
RG - Aviante Collins (1 career game started)
RT - Zach Banner (2 career games started)

It's possible Kendrick Green can land somewhere in the interior as a rookie

Deebo813

Hall of Famer

What about the ones who just dgaf about getting it?

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
What about the ones who just dgaf about getting it?
Well, generally, they're a very small segment of the population. They're also not a good representation of the NFL population, because NFL players don't have the luxury of not caring. The small segment of the population that doesn't care enough to get vaccinated are also the people who generally are unemployed and rarely leave their house to begin with, so there's not a lot of concern there.