• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Around the NFL: News and Rumors

rossihunter2

Staff Member
These are the names of the guys I've seen the Jags ask permission to interview so far:

Byron Leftwich
Todd Bowles
Dan Quinn
Kellen Moore
Matt Eberflus

but ive got to think that if they havent already they'll also interview Jim Caldwell - with the way some of these teams have fallen apart and some of the incompetent HCs around the last couple of years it would be wild if Caldwell didn't get a serious look from a number of teams this offseason

JO_75

Hall of Famer
These are the names of the guys I've seen the Jags ask permission to interview so far:

Byron Leftwich
Todd Bowles
Dan Quinn
Kellen Moore
Matt Eberflus

but ive got to think that if they havent already they'll also interview Jim Caldwell - with the way some of these teams have fallen apart and some of the incompetent HCs around the last couple of years it would be wild if Caldwell didn't get a serious look from a number of teams this offseason

No Greg Roman? No Wink? Damn it.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Random thought and I know it's a bit early to tell, BUT I'm really curious about:

-what the Broncos do at QB
-how much longer will Russ be in Seattle
-how much longer will Carr be in Vegas

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Random thought and I know it's a bit early to tell, BUT I'm really curious about:

i think russ is gone - felt like this year was sort of make-or-break and it's not gone well and i dont think that team is going anywhere (just looking at the talent there... they havent got much and they also dont have much capital to add to it) - i think russ is going to do as much as he can to move on and looking at the seahawks roster they might be better off moving on too, trading him early and acquiring a bounty of loot for him and rebuilding from there - the only question would be whether carroll wants to continue without russ

carr and vegas is a complete mystery to me now that gruden's gone (and tbh was a bit of a mystery before too lol)

not sure what the broncos will do - they need to find a guy but not sure where they'll get one

i think the saints are gonna be major players in any veteran QBs who become available (e.g. russ)

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

and if Matt Ryan stays in Atlanta, which is likely due to his cap hit. I'd also like to know what Pittsburgh does at QB.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
i think russ is gone - felt like this year was sort of make-or-break and it's not gone well and i dont think that team is going anywhere (just looking at the talent there... they havent got much and they also dont have much capital to add to it) - i think russ is going to do as much as he can to move on and looking at the seahawks roster they might be better off moving on too, trading him early and acquiring a bounty of loot for him and rebuilding from there - the only question would be whether carroll wants to continue without russ

carr and vegas is a complete mystery to me now that gruden's gone (and tbh was a bit of a mystery before too lol)

not sure what the broncos will do - they need to find a guy but not sure where they'll get one

i think the saints are gonna be major players in any veteran QBs who become available (e.g. russ)
Saints would be a great fit

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
A few Eagles in the comments section were mentioning a number of dropped passes by the WRs (from one bird team to another, WE can relate to this in the past). Will be interesting to see if they can address that this offseason to continue the progression of Mr. Hurts.

8twzL1Ce-EhP0vyj9PP2sSsm8V6wR_RkqmC2SuA-8aj4ZU8RPgKAaKWdQdZR3enk3IVVxGS5kqpJLg=s1024-nd-v1

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
that partnership would make too much sense - with the OL and running game they've got there and sean payton too it's a great fit - the weapons arent incredible but i doubt that will matter so much to russ vs OL and coach
Who they got at WR besides Thomas (assuming he comes back healthy)?

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
that partnership would make too much sense - with the OL and running game they've got there and sean payton too it's a great fit - the weapons arent incredible but i doubt that will matter so much to russ vs OL and coach
My problem with this, as always, is the salary cap. There's no worse cap situation in 2022 than the Saints. They'll (again) have to do a ton of restructures, extensions, and roster cuts, just to get under the cap. They have $270M on the books for next year already.

Even if they manage to swing a trade for Russ, and they just inherit his contract, that's $19M next year. A bargain for Russ, but even more maneuvering they'll need to do. Will probably need to extend him to reduce that number (which isn't high to begin with).

JO_75

Hall of Famer

and if Matt Ryan stays in Atlanta, which is likely due to his cap hit. I'd also like to know what Pittsburgh does at QB.

I believe @Ice Bowl won't let Rodgers be traded so no worries lol jk. I don't think Rodgers gets traded at all, I think he plays out 2022 as a Packer so that will leave some teams in a pickle when it comes to the QB position. Even the FA pool for Quarterbacks is pretty thin, so trade is the best bet for most looking for a QB. Jameis Winston is the top name but coming off an injury, he may elect for a one year deal and return to New Orleans if New Orleans doesn't acquire Wilson. As for the teams you mentioned..

Denver: Bridgewater is a FA so I could see them bring him back on a 1 year deal but bring in competition from the Draft. Don't rule out Deshaun Watson being traded here either.

Seattle: Hearing Pat McAfee talk what Carroll said about how they may have to start over, I take this back. It seems Russ very well may be gone but there was that whole thing where Russ would only play for certain teams. Cowboys, Bears, Raiders & Saints. Cross off Dallas, Chicago & Vegas and there is only one team left. Saints could go all in on Russell, and the Seahawks may draft a new rookie quarterback with those picks they get from the Saints.

Vegas: Carr has said he would retire before playing with another team so Carr will stay there as long as the Raiders will have him. Which means how a new GM/Head Coach feels about him. GM Mike Mayock might be let go as well so it's a fresh start all around.

Pittsburgh: I think Mason Rudolph is the starting QB for Pittsburgh in 2022.

Atlanta: Considering Atlanta is still in the playoff hunt with Ryan now, I think Ryan just like Rodgers stays where he is for 2022. They may draft Corral or Pickett to sit behind Ryan but I wouldn't be surprised if they skipped over finding a younger QB once again.

Cleveland: I'm going to add this myself because this is a huge wild card. Cleveland's roster is talented all around and at some point the Browns are not going to want to stay at home with Baker Mayfield. They want a QB who can take them farther in the playoffs. If the Browns decide to chase another QB and move on from Mayfield, Mayfield could be an option for Denver or even Washington in a trade. Browns then could chase Wilson if he's available via FA or trade route. I also wouldn't rule out Cleveland chasing Deshaun Watson either.

Last edited:

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I believe @Ice Bowl won't let Rodgers be traded so no worries lol jk. I don't think Rodgers gets traded at all, I think he plays out 2022 as a Packer so that will leave some teams in a pickle when it comes to the QB position. Even the FA pool for Quarterbacks is pretty thin, so trade is the best bet for most looking for a QB. Jameis Winston is the top name but coming off an injury, he may elect for a one year deal and return to New Orleans if New Orleans doesn't acquire Wilson. As for the teams you mentioned..

Denver: Bridgewater is a FA so I could see them bring him back on a 1 year deal but bring in competition from the Draft. Don't rule out Deshaun Watson being traded here either.

Seattle: Hearing Pat McAfee talk what Carroll said about how they may have to start over, I take this back. It seems Russ very well may be gone but there was that whole thing where Russ would only play for certain teams. Cowboys, Bears, Raiders & Saints. Cross off Dallas, Chicago & Vegas and there is only one team left. Saints could go all in on Russell, and the Seahawks may draft a new rookie quarterback with those picks they get from the Saints.

Vegas: Carr has said he would retire before playing with another team so Carr will stay there as long as the Raiders will have him. Which means how a new GM/Head Coach feels about him. GM Mike Mayock might be let go as well so it's a fresh start all around.

Pittsburgh: I think Mason Rudolph is the starting QB for Pittsburgh in 2022.

Atlanta: Considering Atlanta is still in the playoff hunt with Ryan now, I think Ryan just like Rodgers stays where he is for 2022. They may draft Corral or Pickett to sit behind Ryan but I wouldn't be surprised if they skipped over finding a younger QB once again.

Cleveland: I'm going to add this myself because this is a huge wild card. Cleveland's roster is talented all around and at some point the Browns are not going to want to stay at home with Baker Mayfield. They want a QB who can take them farther in the playoffs. If the Browns decide to chase another QB and move on from Mayfield, Mayfield could be an option for Denver or even Washington in a trade. Browns then could chase Wilson if he's available via FA or trade route. I also wouldn't rule out Cleveland chasing Deshaun Watson either.
So my breakdown would be this:

Steelers, Texans, Broncos, Washington, Panthers, Saints are all in the "I need a QB group" in my eyes. They don't have anybody on their rosters currently that they can feel good about competing with. I'm lumping in Houston and Pittsburgh because its clear they're going to divorce from these guys.

Dolphins, Browns, Giants, and Lions are in the "I've got a guy, but I don't think he's good enough" group and will be potentially looking for upgrades and/or competition this offseason.

Falcons and Vikings are in the "I've got a guy, but he's getting older and is really expensive, and I'm probably going to be looking to get younger and better at the position in the near future" group.

I think Watson will be the only "blue chip" QB available via trade. I don't think Rodgers gets traded, nor do I think Russell Wilson gets traded. I think Darnold will be available again, I think Garoppolo will be available again, and I think Bridgewater will be available again, among the usual cast of veterans who aren't spectacular.

If I were a betting man, I think Watson gets traded to Miami, Tua gets traded elsewhere, and the rest of the teams are staring at older cast-off veterans and draft picks to fill their voids.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor

I worry Wilson could end up in Pittsburgh. Reminds me of McNair leaving the Titans and playing well with us in 06.

I thought Carr was having a pretty nice year. Ruggs getting charged with four felonies and the Waller injury understandably derailed his progress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

rossihunter2

Staff Member
So my breakdown would be this:

Steelers, Texans, Broncos, Washington, Panthers, Saints are all in the "I need a QB group" in my eyes. They don't have anybody on their rosters currently that they can feel good about competing with. I'm lumping in Houston and Pittsburgh because its clear they're going to divorce from these guys.

Dolphins, Browns, Giants, and Lions are in the "I've got a guy, but I don't think he's good enough" group and will be potentially looking for upgrades and/or competition this offseason.

Falcons and Vikings are in the "I've got a guy, but he's getting older and is really expensive, and I'm probably going to be looking to get younger and better at the position in the near future" group.

I think Watson will be the only "blue chip" QB available via trade. I don't think Rodgers gets traded, nor do I think Russell Wilson gets traded. I think Darnold will be available again, I think Garoppolo will be available again, and I think Bridgewater will be available again, among the usual cast of veterans who aren't spectacular.

If I were a betting man, I think Watson gets traded to Miami, Tua gets traded elsewhere, and the rest of the teams are staring at older cast-off veterans and draft picks to fill their voids.

i think wilson will force his way out - he tried somewhat last year and i think was persuaded to buy in for another year and he's now seen that not pay off for him - i think he'll push a lot harder and im not sure seattle will fight as hard to keep him - they're a team that's ripe for a rebuild

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
My problem with this, as always, is the salary cap. There's no worse cap situation in 2022 than the Saints. They'll (again) have to do a ton of restructures, extensions, and roster cuts, just to get under the cap. They have $270M on the books for next year already.

Even if they manage to swing a trade for Russ, and they just inherit his contract, that's $19M next year. A bargain for Russ, but even more maneuvering they'll need to do. Will probably need to extend him to reduce that number (which isn't high to begin with).
yeah, the Saints are in total disarray and will be this way for a while. They will get some relief in 2023 and 2024 when the cap starts to go up, but a lot of their current space in those years will be reduced by the restructures they have this offseason. Amazing how bad that cap was managed.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
yeah, the Saints are in total disarray and will be this way for a while. They will get some relief in 2023 and 2024 when the cap starts to go up, but a lot of their current space in those years will be reduced by the restructures they have this offseason. Amazing how bad that cap was managed.

it was a calculated risk - they wanted to go all in for drew brees's last years and they knew that this would be an issue afterwards - obviously covid amplified that strategy more but they were always mortgaging the future to have a chance to "win now" while brees was still there