• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
According to the RSR boards, it sounds like Hurst requested the trade. Obviously, that makes sense. Competing for snaps with 2 other really good TEs. Dude's gotta get his money and he's not going to get it by playing 2nd/3rd fiddle. Hate to lose him but happy there's a better opportunity ahead for him.
that makes sense, though it does break up the 3 Muskateers.

Charm City

Pro Bowler
All versatile pieces. No longer have just Pierce and Williams who are just block eaters in the middle. Can move these guys all around and disguise pressure a lot more than we did last year.
IIRC, teams would wait until Williams and/or Pierce were on the field and then switch to no huddle so that we couldn't switch to our nickel defense. If I'm right, this shows that DeCosta saw that as a glaring weakness in the way our team was constructed.

Simba

Staff Member
IIRC, teams would wait until Williams and/or Pierce were on the field and then switch to no huddle so that we couldn't switch to our nickel defense. If I'm right, this shows that DeCosta saw that as a glaring weakness in the way our team was constructed.

In 2018, they made every single effort to not have Williams and Pierce on the field at the same time. They were kind of forced to do it last year due to injuries and poor play.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
This from Zrebiec

The Ravens have the draft inventory to trade up. It doesn’t mean they will: It seems that the belief is that the Ravens are stockpiling these Day 2 and early Day 3 draft picks, so they have the ammunition to make a huge move up the draft board from the 28th overall pick. That can’t be ruled out as DeCosta is not bashful. But with very little cap space, the Ravens will need those picks to fill holes. They could make a few other moves in the days ahead, but as things stand, they need one or two receivers, one or two offensive linemen and perhaps another tight end. Defensively, they could use another edge rusher, an inside linebacker and one or two defensive backs for depth purposes. They need an explosive return man on special teams. I see the nine picks as a necessity more than a luxury.

Yeah we rarely play base and our packages are basically 50/50 nickel and dime. So the front of BWill, Brockers and Campbell is very versatile. What we need now is pass rushers who can set the edge.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
This from Zrebiec

The Ravens have the draft inventory to trade up. It doesn’t mean they will: It seems that the belief is that the Ravens are stockpiling these Day 2 and early Day 3 draft picks, so they have the ammunition to make a huge move up the draft board from the 28th overall pick. That can’t be ruled out as DeCosta is not bashful. But with very little cap space, the Ravens will need those picks to fill holes. They could make a few other moves in the days ahead, but as things stand, they need one or two receivers, one or two offensive linemen and perhaps another tight end. Defensively, they could use another edge rusher, an inside linebacker and one or two defensive backs for depth purposes. They need an explosive return man on special teams. I see the nine picks as a necessity more than a luxury.
I would be quite surprised to see the Ravens acquire these picks, then give away half of them for one player.

I don't see a player available in the draft in the teens (which is where we could afford to move up to) that would mask some of the other holes we have, or vault is even further. You gonna move up that far for a Guard or Center? You gonna move up that far for a WR, using first round picks in back to back years at the position, especially in a WR rich draft class?

MAYBE if you can get like a generational three down linebacker, I'd be for it, because I think that's where your biggest holes are now. But I think the Ravens want picks because they know they're largely done making any "notable" FA acquisitions, and they need more draft capital to fill the holes they have and add depth in a lot of areas.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I would be quite surprised to see the Ravens acquire these picks, then give away half of them for one player.

I don't see a player available in the draft in the teens (which is where we could afford to move up to) that would mask some of the other holes we have, or vault is even further. You gonna move up that far for a Guard or Center? You gonna move up that far for a WR, using first round picks in back to back years at the position, especially in a WR rich draft class?

MAYBE if you can get like a generational three down linebacker, I'd be for it, because I think that's where your biggest holes are now. But I think the Ravens want picks because they know they're largely done making any "notable" FA acquisitions, and they need more draft capital to fill the holes they have and add depth in a lot of areas.
I don't think they will either and just like you said, we have several holes to fill and we need these picks to acquire young players, both depth and starters on long deals vs filling holes with veterans, especially since we have virtually no cap space, at the moment.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I know...right? My Steelers wife is not happy at all.
Not only that... they restructured Ben and at least one other contract I believe to create the cap space to do so. The Steelers are notorious credit card users when it comes to the salary cap... they constantly push bad contracts into future years.

Per Spotrac, even after accounting for Foster retiring and them cutting Mark Barron, they're still $8M over the cap currently. I know they converted Ben's salary into a bonus, which saves about $4.25M I believe, but they'll still need to cut another $4-5M at least in the next 24 hours. My guess is they'll decline Vance McDonald's option, which would free up about $5.5M, among other moves.

I've been telling people this all offseason about the Steelers... while I have no doubt they'll be better with Ben, they're going to lose some key role players on that team, they have virtually no ability to create salary cap capital to sign new players without cutting somebody significant (DeCastro, Heyward, Haden, Pouncey), and they essentially only have two draft picks in the top 100.

I don't see many ways where they have an improved roster in 2020, meaning they'll need everybody to play at a comparable or better level than 2019 in order to consistently compete. I have my doubts.

I also love the fact that Ben now has like a $36M cap hit in 2021.

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
unhappy wife, unhappy life. You're in a real predicament. Atleast my wife, who is from New England, will wear Ravens merchandise.
You got that right, sometimes I can't live with her but I can't live without her....lol. my youngest stepson is a die-hard Patriots fan. The wife and I can't figure out what we did wrong.

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
Not only that... they restructured Ben and at least one other contract I believe to create the cap space to do so. The Steelers are notorious credit card users when it comes to the salary cap... they constantly push bad contracts into future years.

Per Spotrac, even after accounting for Foster retiring and them cutting Mark Barron, they're still $8M over the cap currently. I know they converted Ben's salary into a bonus, which saves about $4.25M I believe, but they'll still need to cut another $4-5M at least in the next 24 hours. My guess is they'll decline Vance McDonald's option, which would free up about $5.5M, among other moves.

I've been telling people this all offseason about the Steelers... while I have no doubt they'll be better with Ben, they're going to lose some key role players on that team, they have virtually no ability to create salary cap capital to sign new players without cutting somebody significant (DeCastro, Heyward, Haden, Pouncey), and they essentially only have two draft picks in the top 100.

I don't see many ways where they have an improved roster in 2020, meaning they'll need everybody to play at a comparable or better level than 2019 in order to consistently compete. I have my doubts.

I also love the fact that Ben now has like a $36M cap hit in 2021.
Robbing Peter to pay Paul always catches up with you in the end. I am so glad we got through all the dead money of some of those awful contracts that bit us in the ass. I hope EDC learned from Ozzie's mistakes and nevers gives an insane contract to a running back.