• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

Simba

Staff Member
Blackson has some experience in the league and some experience with Weaver directly in Houston. Hasn’t been very good in his career but I imagine it’s a minimum with no guarantees to add some competition for DL6 if we want to keep that many.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
OK so I don't really know what the market for these guys are, but...
a) I doubt any of these veteran types are interested in signing in May and participating in OTAs.
b) Clowney has basically been a FA every year for like 4-5 years, and he's never made less than $7M in a year. Maybe his price comes down a bit, but I'd think $6-7M on a one year deal is his range. That's like 4x the vet minimum.
c) honestly think Suh may be in that range too. He signed for $2M with Philly in November, but that's for less than half a season.
So these guys are substantially higher paid than the guy we just signed, who likely won't even make the team.
Yeah I'm not saying Clowney or Suh should be signing now. They'll sign later. And yeah they'll be more expensive but I'm thinking both of those guys will be sub 5m per year this year. Maybe that's a bad assumption

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Yeah I'm not saying Clowney or Suh should be signing now. They'll sign later. And yeah they'll be more expensive but I'm thinking both of those guys will be sub 5m per year this year. Maybe that's a bad assumption
I don't think Clowney plays at all for less than $5M. Suh maybe, but I also just don't really think Suh is anything better than a vet-minimum player at this point, so I'm not really all that interested in bringing him in at whatever price he wants.

We're also talking about completely different players in terms of skill sets/impact at this point.

But I think Clowney is still a $6-7M, or maybe more, player. He's been literally like the same guy for 4-5 years now and gets basically paid the same every year.

marklar

Pro Bowler
Do you think the Ravens will even use theemergancy QB3 spot?Considering they hardly ever carry three on the 53, ans PS callups being ineliglibe for the exta gameday spot, I suspect it will only be used if one of the top two are questionable. Or?

Simba

Staff Member
Do you think the Ravens will even use theemergancy QB3 spot?Considering they hardly ever carry three on the 53, ans PS callups being ineliglibe for the exta gameday spot, I suspect it will only be used if one of the top two are questionable. Or?
There’s so much roster flexibility with call ups now that I’d be surprised if they didn’t. Not hard to keep an extra QB (or really any position) on the 53 nowadays.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
There’s so much roster flexibility with call ups now that I’d be surprised if they didn’t. Not hard to keep an extra QB (or really any position) on the 53 nowadays.
Really just depends on what they want to do. Early in the season, I don't really see the point.

I personally think its a bit of an overreaction to an isolated, rare event. Like I'm fine with the idea of what it used to be, which was the 3rd QB was "inactive" but dressed for emergency, but like when has the need for three QBs ever actually been a thing? People are just reacting to the fact that it happened in the NFCG, but its not like its a weekly or even annual occurrence. The reason why they deviated from the original rule was to allow for teams the flexibility to select the roster spots they wanted to keep active, and because the instances of a team actually playing three different QBs in one game was so small that it really saw no value.

QtR Nevermore

Pro Bowler
They really need to do some (overdue) thinking about how many special teamers they want on the roster. The recent rule changers make it a no-brainer to keep +1 QB and -1 special teamers compared to this time last week.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer

Didn't they say that 3rd active QB does not affect roster numbers?