• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
overstatement. I thought he was pretty average after he came back from his first injury. He's an okay player when he's healthy. Hardly anything wow and with all the crap his body has gone through without even playing i'd curb your enthusiasm
And the good news is... if he's not great, it won't matter much. There aren't secondaries in the league that can put Jimmy and Peters on the outside and Marlon in the slot, which is what we did a ton of last year.

Tavon coming back merely means Marlon can play outside more, where he's a lot better, and Jimmy doesn't have to play 70-80% snap counts.

And now you don't have to worry about getting a Corner in the draft, which you probably had to get before.

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
overstatement. I thought he was pretty average after he came back from his first injury. He's an okay player when he's healthy. Hardly anything wow and with all the crap his body has gone through without even playing i'd curb your enthusiasm
Seriously dude? Why do you enjoy being a contrarian all the time even when it makes little sense? I'm going to refer to you as "Negative Nantucket"!

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
DeShon Elliott is back and could be part of the slot rotation.
Im not sure if our roster got better in FA
C and RG
Edge
Lb
Dynamic pass rushing iDL
WR haven't been fixed.
OK, but which one of those positions did you actually think was going to be upgraded in FA?

1. i don't think there's any plans at Center at all, other than adding a cheap body in the draft.
2. Yanda retiring days before FA means the Ravens really don't have options but to upgrade in the draft, and considering they just drafted a Guard last year, again, I think all they'll do is add competition.
3. There aren't and won't be any good FA WRs. I would have actually been disappointed if they did add a WR in FA, other than like some cheap vet minimum depth player. The FA WR market is always a baron wasteland. Breshad Perriman is easily a top 3 FA WR.

The only place I'm currently "disappointed" that we didn't address partially was an inside linebacker in FA. But I'm getting the sense that the Ravens really don't value that position that highly in their current scheme.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
OK, but which one of those positions did you actually think was going to be upgraded in FA?

1. i don't think there's any plans at Center at all, other than adding a cheap body in the draft.
2. Yanda retiring days before FA means the Ravens really don't have options but to upgrade in the draft, and considering they just drafted a Guard last year, again, I think all they'll do is add competition.
3. There aren't and won't be any good FA WRs. I would have actually been disappointed if they did add a WR in FA, other than like some cheap vet minimum depth player. The FA WR market is always a baron wasteland. Breshad Perriman is easily a top 3 FA WR.

The only place I'm currently "disappointed" that we didn't address partially was an inside linebacker in FA. But I'm getting the sense that the Ravens really don't value that position that highly in their current scheme.
I'm just trying to be realistic here. I'm maybe not as enthusiastic as others. Tbf I listed Wr but I didn't expect and wanted us to do something in FA.
I'd have loved to sign OL depth (Smith is a camp body at best)
OLB and Lb could have been addressed. (Obviously DeCosta can still sign one)

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'm just trying to be realistic here. I'm maybe not as enthusiastic as others. Tbf I listed Wr but I didn't expect and wanted us to do something in FA.
And that's fine. If you generally looked at the Ravens over time, even in our SB-era years, you'd find we rarely looked like a better team after FA. Typically lost more players than we gained.
The only way we were ever upgrading OLB is if we didn't keep Judon, which means we'd have needed at least two significant signings to do so. So I was never expecting it. Clear the FO made defensive line a bigger priority.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

i get that but i also was realistic - the OL free agency class was a little deeper this year than it was before but also still not great and it was obvious they were going to cost way more than we could afford - i mean look at those contracts

i guess i also wasnt expecting much because i already felt like we'd started free agency in the middle of the season with the extensions and the peters trade etc.

tbh i was surprised we even forked out for campbell and brockers - i was fully expecting us not to be particularly active in free agency at all except to maybe pay jimmy smith like 9-10m/yr... and look how that turned out lol

+ ive always been someone who's all in on the draft and we've got the most early draft capital we've had since 2008

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
So I'm someone who said last week I think we're a slightly worse team now then we were last season. I also said the biggest reason for that is Jimmy Smith. Now that Jimmy is back I'm feeling really great. Right now, I'm still looking for Decosta to bring back Bynes over Peanut. If he does then we have honestly almost no holes on defense with relatively decent depth with ability to add in the draft. I'm not in love with Fort being our only ILB right now but I know that Decosta will fill that hole. I'm hoping it's before the draft because then maybe, just maybe we won't reach on a round 1 ILB. I think if we have a good to great draft we should definitely be AFC north Champs and in conentention for the 1 seed again

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
i mean the giants clearly made a mistake when they took barkley though - their team is still bad despite taking barkley - if they'd taken literally anyone else at the top of that class, their team would be better - he's a great RB but the impact of a great RB is not even as good corner or edge rusher or tackle or wr or DT or basically any other position except maybe TE - even LB or safety would probably have had a bigger impact on their team success than barkley

the other problem is that a back who is better got taken a whole round later (nick chubb) and other backs who have close to comparable impact on their team can be had way down the draft class every year... or even as udfas

barkley's a great back but im not taking a RB in the first over a premium position unless the talent gap is astronomical and at that point im probably trading down
Chubb isnt better than barkley though.. maybe had a better year cause of barkley injury but he isnt better imo. The only reason why giants team arent as good is because they have a terrible front office. A great wr can be taking out the game easily and it happens most of time, pats does it every year in playoffs..you see what we did to donald and what the pats did to donald in last SB. A great edge rusher can also be schemed around to make limited or if you have two good tackles like how we do, its a chance those edge rushers may not even have an impact..now mlb, S, and CB are positions that you cant avoid and if you do, it will fuck up your whole offense so you have a point there..

it takes the whole team to stop a great running back. If we didnt have two decent backs and had the opportunity to choose, id choose a great rb over a great wr anyday. Id even choose two good wrs over one great wr. I feel like rbs makes the qb job much easier than the wrs do, regardless who the wr is. Not saying that i value a rb over a great pass rusher or dt but im just saying rbs are undervalued when they shouldnt be at all

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
So I'm someone who said last week I think we're a slightly worse team now then we were last season. I also said the biggest reason for that is Jimmy Smith. Now that Jimmy is back I'm feeling really great. Right now, I'm still looking for Decosta to bring back Bynes over Peanut. If he does then we have honestly almost no holes on defense with relatively decent depth with ability to add in the draft. I'm not in love with Fort being our only ILB right now but I know that Decosta will fill that hole. I'm hoping it's before the draft because then maybe, just maybe we won't reach on a round 1 ILB. I think if we have a good to great draft we should definitely be AFC north Champs and in conentention for the 1 seed again
what you said last week was completely fair although it was before the draft. Having Jimmy for another season while also drafting another corner will go along way. Not sure how good Marshall is and if Averett improved much at all since week against Cleveland.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
what you said last week was completely fair although it was before the draft. Having Jimmy for another season while also drafting another corner will go along way. Not sure how good Marshall is and if Averett improved much at all since week against Cleveland.

We have no idea what we have in Marshall, and AA is not great, but hopefully he's had enough backup experience to continue to improve. I'm extremely excited for the draft now. I think this is going to be a fun season.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
We have no idea what we have in Marshall, and AA is not great, but hopefully he's had enough backup experience to continue to improve. I'm extremely excited for the draft now. I think this is going to be a fun season.
Hopefully we have a football season, but I'm trying to think positive. Yes it will be a fun season. Curious to see how EDC fixes ilb

Simba

Staff Member
Zrebiec confirming ...'s report of a $3.5M cap hit. Make it $2.25M due to the vet cap savings rule that I assume we'll use. #bargain

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Hopefully we have a football season, but I'm trying to think positive. Yes it will be a fun season. Curious to see how EDC fixes ilb

I'm thinking it's going to be extremely unlikely that all of Patrick Queen, Zach Baun, Cesar Ruiz, Justin Jefferson, and Denzel Mims will all be gone at 28. I think if we just go BPA I think we'll get a really good player. Thinking that it will be a WR, but very well could be a LB.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I'm thinking it's going to be extremely unlikely that all of Patrick Queen, Zach Baun, Cesar Ruiz, Justin Jefferson, and Denzel Mims will all be gone at 28. I think if we just go BPA I think we'll get a really good player. Thinking that it will be a WR, but very well could be a LB.
I agree with that, but many times it's a surprise player that has slid and although I'd be ok with Queen at 28, I'd prefer another position like Ruiz or Mims and take a player like Dye on day two.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
I agree with that, but many times it's a surprise player that has slid and although I'd be ok with Queen at 28, I'd prefer another position like Ruiz or Mims and take a player like Dye on day two.

I don't necessarily disagree at all. Obviously we both know that we'll only really get to see how it shakes out on draft night. However, what I would not like is what I saw this morning which was a mock where we trade up to 13 for Jeudy giving both seconds and our first 3rd.