• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
Mike Tomlin gets a 3 year deal from the Steelers.

Nice signing by Steelers. The fact he kept that team competitive over the last five years dealing with Rudolph, Pickett, and aging Big Ben is impressive.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

So I was watching the Vault and about 43min in they were discussing the Henry signing.

RB Coach Willie Taggert was worried about the Henry signing for the same reason some of us are worried about it. Henry didn't take many snaps out of the gun and we are in shot gun or pistol the majority of the time.

It only took a little while for Taggert to see that Henry was different. He saw the big man move his feet, and l'm like, Woah. It's really impressive for a guy that size to move the way he does. And he's got, not necessarily Zay Flowers' feet, but for a big guy, he's pretty swift on his feet and has great vision and all. But seeing him do it from the gun...I don't think we will have any problem doing it.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
From the same Vault video I posted above, Joe D prefers to have Mekari in the 6th OL spot and not a starting spot on the OL. They view him as a starter but is versatility is invaluable.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
LMAO.... Lawrence tying Joe Burrow for largest contract extension in NFL history. I'm sorry... but what has he done to earn that much money? I hate the Bengals but at least Burrow took the Bengals to the Super Bowl and has played well to earn his contract.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
LMAO.... Lawrence tying Joe Burrow for largest contract extension in NFL history. I'm sorry... but what has he done to earn that much money? I hate the Bengals but at least Burrow took the Bengals to the Super Bowl and has played well to earn his contract.

Every top 15 QB will get deals like this, because without one a team is completely dead in the water. No one wants a situation like the Steelers of not having a real QB but never picking high enough to get a new one.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
From the same Vault video I posted above, Joe D prefers to have Mekari in the 6th OL spot and not a starting spot on the OL. They view him as a starter but is versatility is invaluable.

watched joe d's presser

the way he's talking, and as long as training camp goes well, think the starting OL in week 1 is gonna be:

Ronnie
Jones
Linderbaum
Cleveland
Rosengarten

Vorhees might get in the mix at LG

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Every top 15 QB will get deals like this, because without one a team is completely dead in the water. No one wants a situation like the Steelers of not having a real QB but never picking high enough to get a new one.

maybe not quite top 15 but if you're in that true franchise qb tier then you're getting this money
this is just the going rate

Tua situation will be interesting to see for sure but Goff just got 53m/yr so maybe we shouldnt be surprised when Tua also gets this money

Dak's also going to get paid either this year or next year by someone
Jordan Love is going to get paid either this year or next year

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
I always figured this was the case.

Could definitely spot start, but having him as insurance across the board provides more value to the team. If he's starting, something went horribly wrong elsewhere.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
I feel for Lawrence because he's in a similar boat to Lamar. Put into unfavorable situations and responded well, but people will always dog him, mostly because of the hype he built since high school.

Of course, Lamar has responded way better (albeit, in a better organization on a better team), but I think the Jaguars are trending in the right direction for Lawrence to justify the contract.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
I feel for Lawrence because he's in a similar boat to Lamar. Put into unfavorable situations and responded well, but people will always dog him, mostly because of the hype he built since high school.

Of course, Lamar has responded way better (albeit, in a better organization on a better team), but I think the Jaguars are trending in the right direction for Lawrence to justify the contract.
I mean there is a BIG difference between them. While both Lamar and Lawrence had lets call it rough rookie years, but Lamar followed it up with one of the best QB seasons ever and a pretty good season after, and then unfortunately got hurt 2 years in a row. Lawrence followed up an awful rookie year with 1/2 of a good season, and then a mediocre first half of his 3rd season with a drastic fall off to awful after. They are not even close to in the same boat as for all the talk about whether Lamar can get it done in the playoffs, he has shown that he is a great QB multiple seasons. Lawrence has not shown himself to be good for more than half a season.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
Lawrence followed up an awful rookie year with 1/2 of a good season, and then a mediocre first half of his 3rd season with a drastic fall off to awful after. Lawrence has not shown himself to be good for more than half a season.
This is what I mean.

Lawrence had a really strong second half of 2022 and a really strong start to 2023 before the ankle injury, which should have kept him out, but he gutted it out and continued playing... and suffered two more injuries.

Lawrence, by all accounts, looked to be building upon a strong finish to 2022 and turning in a really quality 2023, but injuries.

I'm not here to say Lawrence is on the level of Lamar because I believe there are few quarterbacks in the conversation with Lamar, but I do believe the consensus on Lawrence is too far in the opposite direction (he receives almost zero excuses while Herbert gets them all.) It's just weird with the general opinions picking and choosing which quarterback they want to prop up.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
This is what I mean.

Lawrence had a really strong second half of 2022 and a really strong start to 2023 before the ankle injury, which should have kept him out, but he gutted it out and continued playing... and suffered two more injuries.

Lawrence, by all accounts, looked to be building upon a strong finish to 2022 and turning in a really quality 2023, but injuries.

I'm not here to say Lawrence is on the level of Lamar because I believe there are few quarterbacks in the conversation with Lamar, but I do believe the consensus on Lawrence is too far in the opposite direction (he receives almost zero excuses while Herbert gets them all.) It's just weird with the general opinions picking and choosing which quarterback they want to prop up.
I mean if we are calling his start to 2023 really strong than we are saying 10-12 NFL QBs had a really really strong start to 2023. If we are arguing he belongs somewhere in that group from 11-17 in terms of QBs then sure I would grant that but I would also not be paying huge money to those QBs, which is also why I would not have paid Goff.

It does not seem unreasonable to say that the highest paid QB in football should have, in just one season at least,, looked like a top 10 QB in football.

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
watched joe d's presser

the way he's talking, and as long as training camp goes well, think the starting OL in week 1 is gonna be:

Ronnie
Jones
Linderbaum
Cleveland
Rosengarten

Vorhees might get in the mix at LG
I am just hoping Ronnie has a better year and can stay healthy. I think Voorhees may end up as our starting LG.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I am just hoping Ronnie has a better year and can stay healthy. I think Voorhees may end up as our starting LG.
he definitely would be better than Jones. I can see Jones a backup tackle, but can't see him starting at guard. He's always been bad at guard.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
This is what I mean.

outside of some really goofy fumble issues, lawrence looks like a guy who's going to be in everyone's top 8-10 Qbs for years to come

he's still got some issues working over the middle but he's operating at a fairly high level

just those fumble issues are wild... especially in the redzone

rossihunter2

Staff Member

i think that's the hope for sure - i think vorhees is the guy the coaches want to win the job - but he's going to have to beat out Jones to get it and it looks like Jones is going to get first crack at it

same with faalele but sounds like faalele has had a bit of a mixed start to the offseason and the pathway is clearly there for rosengarten to win that job