• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I think if you're trying to equate compensation to where they arbitrarily "rank" among their peers, its an argument you'll lose at a 100% accuracy rate. It really doesn't matter where he arbitrarily "ranks" among his peers. It matters where he arbitrarily ranks compared to other options of players available.
and add in when those players paid more than him signed their contracts, ie Mosley last year being compared in contract value to Kuechly who signed his contract 2 or 3 years earlier.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
then draft a LT next year.
You act like it's easy to draft tackles the quality of Ronnie Stanley. Not many left tackles come out as good as him and if they are we won't be in position to take them. Kind of like we wanted to draft an edge rusher this year, but we weren't in position to get one, atleast in the first round.

Stanley is one of the best at his position and deserves to be paid what the market bears.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
You act like it's easy to draft tackles the quality of Ronnie Stanley. Not many left tackles come out as good as him and if they are we won't be in position to take them. Kind of like we wanted to draft an edge rusher this year, but we weren't in position to get one, atleast in the first round.

Stanley is one of the best at his position and deserves to be paid what the market bears.

The kid from Oregon- Penei Sewell next year is as sure of a deal at LT as quenton nelson was at G. He's one of those guys where he's so good and surefire I'd trade almost an entire draft class to get him.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
The kid from Oregon- Penei Sewell next year is as sure of a deal at LT as quenton nelson was at G. He's one of those guys where he's so good and surefire I'd trade almost an entire draft class to get him.
there is no sure think in the draft, just prospects. That being said a top prospect like that won't make it down to where the Ravens are projected to pick.

And trading an entire draft class isn't only irresponsible, but it won't be enough.

Last edited:

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor

The thing is if he is that good he will be going 2 or 3 (we all know who number 1 is). The Ravens will probably be drafting at worst in the late 20s and you cannot get from the late 20s to 2. There is no move that can be made to get from A to B and even if there were if you trade an entire draft class to get someone you have thrown away a LOT of new starters/depth for one player who, even if he works out, still makes you worse off in the long run.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
He plays in spread offense whereas Ronnie played in a pro-style offense (2 and 3 point stances). Transition isn't going to be easy for Sewell.
PFF grades for Ronnie run block: 76.1 (10th overall) pass block: 92.8 (1st overall) Total: 88.2 (4th overall). Letting the best pass blocking OT walk just because he's not an elite run blocker makes no sense.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
He plays in spread offense whereas Ronnie played in a pro-style offense (2 and 3 point stances). Transition isn't going to be easy for Sewell.
PFF grades for Ronnie run block: 76.1 (10th overall) pass block: 92.8 (1st overall) Total: 88.2 (4th overall). Letting the best pass blocking OT walk just because he's not an elite run blocker makes no sense.

Then what on gods green earth is EDC waiting for as it pertains to negotiations? Is stanley asking for 25 million a year?

If that's the case, he can go elsewhere. He'll handicap another teams cap and give us a lot of cap and a nice 3rd round comp.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

he's also not the centre-piece of our running game - he's often asked to seal the backside which means he doesnt get the opportunity to downblock often in the way that many other tackles do - he's an anchor in the run game in our scheme rather than a centre-piece - but he adds value in unbalanced looks at RTE too

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Then what on gods green earth is EDC waiting for as it pertains to negotiations? Is stanley asking for 25 million a year?

If that's the case, he can go elsewhere. He'll handicap another teams cap and give us a lot of cap and a nice 3rd round comp.

a stanley extension likely increases his cap value this year - we're looking to save cap space not lose it - and there's no rush with stanley

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Okay. I'll be more specific. I'd rather have Taylor Lewan and a shit load more cap space than ronnie stanley and his contract demands.
Lewan in 2020/2021 would command $25m, too.
You aren't making sense. Stanley is a top LT in the league. And you are way off on his run blocking assessment.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Lewan in 2020/2021 would command $25m, too.
You aren't making sense. Stanley is a top LT in the league. And you are way off on his run blocking assessment.

yeah - i mean im literally watching stanley film now just to see - i dont see what the problem is with his run blocking - he's not a dominant finisher or a bone-crushing mauler but he's just good at what he does technically and manipulates guys with his hands (and gets physical when he needs to) - he's physical but mauling just isnt his style - that doesnt make him an "average" run blocker

side note - have ended up watching a ton of special teams (because im skipping through defensive possessions) - jordan richards in week 9 against the pats was already making key calls on special teams having been on the team only like a week - think there's a pretty good chance richards is making the final 53

rossihunter2

Staff Member
yes because LTs are just pouring out of college into the nfl, our cups runneth over with great LT talent, should be easy to find an elite LT in picks likely 26-32

26-32 this year would have meant the top 5 tackles were all off the board (and the 5th one had serious question marks albeit i was a big fan of him as a prospect)

but all the tackle prospects after that had questions (and some werent really even candidates to play LT) - Isaiah Wilson was a RT with great size and physicality but not the athleticism to play LT in our scheme, Ezra Cleveland was not a scheme fit for the ravens (nor was his tape particularly great tbh either), Josh Jones is pretty high ceiling low floor player - awful footwork right now and really susceptible to power rushes, lucas niang i really liked but again was a physical RT with some limited foot speed, Matt Peart is all tools and no refinement, saahdiq charles has maturity issues to go with his top 50 talent, prince tega wanogho clearly has some serious question marks over his knee, ben bartch might project comes from incredibly low level competition (and might project best inside anyway)

this was an insanely good Tackle class but i dont see an answer at LT where we might be picking... to suggest that we can even get a safe good run blocker average pass blocker for a fraction of the price as stanley assumes we hit on a tackle straight away when we're looking at a range of prospects who have obvious flaws that could see them fail

it also ignores the fact that you now need to spend valuable draft picks on a position that you already had sorted and now are expending capital on just so you dont fall off a cliff there...

that's bad team-building strategy

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
When you have the best player in the NFL at ANY position you do not let that walk. I do not like paying RBs but christian mccaffrey is the best in the NFL so its worth it. The same with any of the top 3 WRs. If you are going to only get 6-10 big contracts to build the team around it might as well be players who are the best in the NFL at what they do.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
yeah - i mean im literally watching stanley film now just to see - i dont see what the problem is with his run blocking - he's not a dominant finisher or a bone-crushing mauler but he's just good at what he does technically and manipulates guys with his hands (and gets physical when he needs to) - he's physical but mauling just isnt his style - that doesnt make him an "average" run blocker
Yep, he did that in college, too and because he isn't pancaking defenders was proclaimed bad run blocker, when in actual fact he was top of the class.
He makes and occupies lot of space in run game and often takes that space with him to second level. His feet should not belong to LT.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
that's just the market inflation at work - is he not worth that right now? who would we rather pay with that 22-23m than him?
Ill admit to not having a grasp of the cap and how a gargantuan deal like that might be structured. And if the team feels it can work financially then I guess I would be accepting of that. In all honesty I feel he benefits greatly from having Lamar and from the scheme. I started watching him recently, going back to Flacco in 2018 and he gets wrecked one on one vs. Chubb and then two Bengals rushers in the first quarter of two games Ive watched. I'll keep watching but in general Id say he benefits greatly that teams are contain conscious vs. Lamar.
Id also say that he is often left with the "easiest" of blocks to make in the run game compared to the other 4 lineman.